PDA

View Full Version : Helm Replacement '77 Stars & Stripes

thatsmrmastercraft
07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
My steering cable was overdue for replacement, and after a few minutes talking with Richard at SKIDIM I chose the Uflex Rotary Steering Package. It was only a few bucks more over the price of just the cable. Before ordering, be sure to check the length of your steering cable - it is stamped in the outer casing of the cable at the rudder end. Mine took a 17' cable.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-12-2010, 07:34 PM
First I disconnected the steering cable at the helm, removed the original steering wheel and original Teleflex Big T helm.

Installing the Uflex helm used a bracket that mounts to the dash with three bolts (the only holes I had to drill). I ordered the 20 degree bezel kit to keep the correct steering wheel angle.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Next I removed the steering cable. I pulled mine out the back and ran the new cable back in the same spot. I found no need to use anything to fish the new cable into place.

With the new cable laying in place, I inserted the cable into the helm and used the steering wheel to pull the cable into place (Please Note: This picture shows the cable in backwards and will result in your rudder turning the wrong way if you complete the the installation without checking).

Once the cable is secured I mounted the helm to the bracket.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-12-2010, 07:48 PM
All that remains is to connect the cable at the rudder, mount the bezel over the new helm and install the Grant steering wheel.

Before and after pictures.

ramzak
07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
How much was that whole package?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Helm package including steering cable was $155 from SKIDIM, Grant wheel was $35 from Autozone and the hub adapter was $18 from Summit Racing. Plus freight.

This was a very easy installation. I am extremely happy with how it came out.

americanskierJim
07-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi Peter, Looks great and an easy fix to do. I hope I can get mine back on the water by sunday and burn up some fuel. Thanks for the post.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Keep plugging away. You will get there Jim.