PDA

View Full Version : Working alone = not good

captain planet
07-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Sunday afternoon my wife and kids went to a b-day party for a neighbor so I had the boat all to myself. I grabbed the dog and a cooler and went for a ride. I stopped to swim and let the dog swim in a cove where we hang out frequently. I'm throwing the ball for the dog and I hear someone in the woods near a private house running a chainsaw....and I hear the tree fall....and the chain saw stops. It sounded a little funny when the tree fell, kind of loud with a lot of breaking wood. I listened for a few seconds to see if I hear the chainsaw start back up to start cutting up the tree.

Now, I was sitting about 20 yards off shore, no anchor out and swimming with my boat to keep it away from shore, so I was close enough to shore that I couldn't see the chain saw operator. Then these people on a pontoon boat that were about 150 yards away start yelling at me about the guy needing help. I pull the dog in the boat and back up to where I can see the guy and he is on the ground and is waving to us. I throw out an anchor, grab my cell phone, and swim to shore. The people in the pontoon boat and I hit the shore at the same time and we run up to the guy. He was scraped up on his back, shirt torn, and a little disoriented. We made sure he was stable and his leg is pretty badly disfigured. He gave me his address, which he was a little unsure of, and I called EMS. I went out the confirm the address and street. The drive way to the house is a half mile long out to the street. I find a neighbor, confirm the address, reconfirm the address with EMS, and flag them into the driveway. I jogged back to the guy and the EMS is doing their thing. It turns out that there was nobody home with the guy. The other folks that were tending to him got him his cell phone and he made a couple of phone calls to contact somebody.

We ended up putting away a tractor, mower, Harley 3-wheeled motorcycle, and locking up his house for him. He is pretty lucky that we were close when it happened, because I don't know how long he could have laid there before someone would have found him, especially on a Sunday at 4:00 in the afternoon and people leaving the area for the weekend.

The paramedics cut away his pants down by his foot and it wasn't pretty. Puts things into perspective when you witness something like this firsthand. Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is, when you are doing work like this, either have somebody with you or at least let somebody know where you are going.

I know that I will be passing along this story to my brother who frequently works down at his cabin doing stuff by himself all the time.

jss101
07-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Wow, that's quite a story. Hope he ended up okay.

Maristar210
07-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Kudos to YOU CP for helping this guy out. Good things happen to good people. Hope the dude is okay as well.

Willski
07-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Lucky for him you guys were there. Probably not good to work alone with a chainsaw!

TX.X-30 fan
07-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Great job CP hope the guy is ok as well. I do that stuff al the time and have had a few thoughts about what if when I'm here alone.

trickskier
07-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Good Job CP - Lucky for him that you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express the night before!!! :D

Double D
07-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Nice work CP. Which cove?

east tx skier
07-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Very nice work, Capt!

captain planet
07-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Nice work CP. Which cove?

The one on the "river" back in that corner west of Doc Roach's where that guy has his own ramp, dock, and tan metal pole building/house. He was cutting down a tree to the left/north of his ramp. In that area where we met up a couple weeks back.

cf_koch
07-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Its a good thing there are good neighbors like you around. Great Job Captain Planet

LaRue
07-12-2010, 03:55 PM
glad to hear your help made a positive difference. Believe you were there for such a time as that. :toast:

thatsmrmastercraft
07-12-2010, 04:05 PM
You are definitely a Good Deed Doer, CP

D3skier
07-12-2010, 04:17 PM
good to know there are still people out there like CP that care about others when in need KUDOS for CP

scott023
07-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Nice wirk CP. The world needs more "do rights" like you.

Hrkdrivr
07-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Good on 'ya, CP...

JohnE
07-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Sounds like the guy was very lucky. Good thing you were nearby CP.