PDA

View Full Version : 97 PC190 wont start, but it cranks

novaman64
07-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Had the boat out 3 days ago, ran great, came home from after work wanting to take a couple passes, backed it down the ramp and it just kept cranking, never started. The tach is stuck and temp is in the same position of when the motor was last shut off. Brought it home and tested spark, nothing, then through a volt meter on the fuel pump not getting any juice... Checked the 50amp on the back of the motor, its fine, check all the fuses, they are all fine, checked the tether/lanyard (even tried bypassing it) and still nothing, just cranks and no spare or fuel.

I pulled the relays off (there are 2) one is getting power, the other isnt, the wire that should be getting power that isnt appears to be pink with a black stripe... I tried tracing it but it goes in to the loom and I never see it again. Anybody have a wiring diagram?

FYI the motor is a 350 TBI, running out of ideas short of a bad ECM, which is really expensive... Might try and take it to the dealer next week...

PLEASE HELP ME... :cry: I miss my boat...

Footin
07-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Saftey lanyard?

novaman64
07-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Saftey lanyard?

Checked, and checked by bypassing it to make sure the switch wasnt bad.

east tx skier
07-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Long shot, but look under the dash and make sure all of the wires are tight to your keyed ignition. Had one pull on me once and had these same symptoms.

novaman64
07-10-2010, 01:36 PM
That was it! Thank you soo much. The purple wire on the back of the ignition had a bad crimp. Off to the lake, its nice out...

Jeffer
07-10-2010, 07:02 PM
East TX Skier, you rock!

Nice longshot shot, what a save...:cool:

east tx skier
07-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Woohoo! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again. I almost didn't mention it since I figured it wasn't going to be the fix.

When it happened to me, it took me about 36 hours before it clicked with me and I checked.

Glad it helped!

novaman64
07-12-2010, 10:42 AM
I didnt even think of that due to the fact that when I clicked the key in the run position, the radio would still work, I figured everything else was getting juice....

I am still a little puzzled as to how the radio went on but nothing else. The previous owners of the boat did some funky wiring....

JimN
07-12-2010, 11:19 AM
I didnt even think of that due to the fact that when I clicked the key in the run position, the radio would still work, I figured everything else was getting juice....

I am still a little puzzled as to how the radio went on but nothing else. The previous owners of the boat did some funky wiring....

The stereo power wire is separate and in a different bundle, although it's still connected to the switched side if it was connected to the loom marked 'Stereo'. They may have wired it themselves, or a dealer who may have wanted to do it differently may have changed it. The dash also has a couple of looms labeled 'Accessory'.

If you want to know whether the kill switch is engaged, look at the volt meter. That shouldn't respond without the lanyard. Most of the other gauges won't, either. The purple lead energizes the gauges and coil, as well as telling the ECM that the key is ON. It shouldn't be connected to an endless list of accessories, either. If too much is drawing current, the voltage will drop and the ECM's operation may be affected.