PDA

View Full Version : Scarecrow and Backroll

Trent 197
07-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Landed a scarecrow and backroll back-to-back the other weekend. Pretty stoked about it. It was a hard winter of learning the basics but things seem to be coming faster now. :) Thought I'd share the vid. Hope everyone is doing well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2JdLO1E2GY

sand2snow22
07-10-2010, 02:26 AM
Sweet!!!!!!!

Dad 2 3
07-10-2010, 02:31 AM
Very nice. Clean landing and you look comfortable doing it as well. I'm jealous! Nicely done...

silverblueBP
07-10-2010, 07:19 PM
WOW, that looks great! and I was happy today cause I finally made a wake to wake jump, I have a long way to go.

YTW
07-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Great Job!

Trent 197
07-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah, but once you get the w2w dialed in things will come so fast. It's the key. Unfortunately, it takes a long time understand and implement the fundamentals of edging position, popping, and tension control in w2w jumps. I'm still learning about it all. Every time I ride I try different edging positions, lines into the wake, etc. For instance, it's easy to tail grab with a progressive edge, but difficult to melon grab. If you take more of an olie edge into the wake, it's easy to melon, but harder to etc. etc.

I know guys who have only been riding for 3 years that can do TS 7's, batwings, etc. that couldn't w2w for a year, and couldn't w2w "correctly" for 2 years. Once it clicked, the learning curve was exponential, so I use that as motivation to always practice the fundamentals every time I ride.

76S&S
07-12-2010, 02:26 PM
looked great!

EarlyriserX9
07-12-2010, 03:02 PM
That's pretty impressive!

I started wakeboarding last August and get so excited I'm like a little kid when I get to go. I wakeboard at least twice a week and havn't progressed a lot since last December when I started consitently going w2w. Lately, I've been doing worse and worse because I've been changing my approach in order to get a better pop. I'm using a "duck" stance, but its still very awkward switching stances. Do you guys have any advice on how to get the best pop and heigth? I normally only get 3' or so high and I see many TT members getting 5' and up.

I guess what I'm really asking is, what are "the basics" that you guys are talking about. Thanks in advance for any advice!

vision
07-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Earlyriserx9, I would strongly suggest a lesson with a local pro. Learning proper edging and body position at this stage is the key to progressing. Where are you in the southeast?

There are several good instructional videos, with The Book, which is also part of LearnWake.com, being one of the best. But a lesson from a good instructor is hard to beat.

From your photos, you may be absorbing some of the wake instead of edging properly.

aremsing
07-12-2010, 04:31 PM
looks good, congratulations

Trent 197
07-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I agree with vision. Learnwake.com is where my friends and I learn the fundamental concepts of what you are supposed to do. That doesn't mean you can go out and do them immediately, but at least you won't be engraving incorrect muscle memory into your head repeating a trick the wrong way. The more you understand about the physics and mechanics of the trick, the faster you will be able to learn it.

thwack
07-14-2010, 03:45 PM
That's pretty impressive!

I started wakeboarding last August and get so excited I'm like a little kid when I get to go. I wakeboard at least twice a week and havn't progressed a lot since last December when I started consitently going w2w. Lately, I've been doing worse and worse because I've been changing my approach in order to get a better pop. I'm using a "duck" stance, but its still very awkward switching stances. Do you guys have any advice on how to get the best pop and heigth? I normally only get 3' or so high and I see many TT members getting 5' and up.

I guess what I'm really asking is, what are "the basics" that you guys are talking about. Thanks in advance for any advice!

As Vision said, a lesson from a local pro sure wouldn't hurt. The Book, as mentioned, is a great tool for fundamentals all the way through advanced inverts. For starters though, try a few basic things when trying to establish a little more pop.
1. Take a progressive edge into the wake
2. Keep the rope low, even pushing down as you pop off the wake
3. Keep your edge all the way through the jump (the edge creates the line tension and physics reaction needed to pop)
4. Stiffen your legs (do not tuck your knees). It's a physics game. Try not to think of the wake so much as a ramp. The pop comes from the force of the water pushing up on the board. The harder you push it back down, the more pop you create. You don't have to stomp the wake, but as the front of your board starts up the wake, stiffen your legs a bit.

Again, there's no better method than instruction from a pro, but technique is the key element.

EarlyriserX9
07-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great info. I'll keep you posted on my progress!