PDA

View Full Version : Finally Tossed The Rope

deminimis
07-09-2010, 02:26 PM
A bigger wake surfing board would help, but decided dropping 30# wouldn't hurt either (and costs less). Got the ballast and number of folks in the boat dialed-in. Well, finally got to toss the rope wake surfing yesterday. That was a hoot!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-09-2010, 02:41 PM
What, no pictures?

deminimis
07-09-2010, 02:43 PM
That's what I said! A boat load of cell cameras and not a single shot. I'm charging them for fuel next time.

madmuffin
07-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Good to hear Deminimis, let the fun begin! When you lose the rope, you really start to enjoy surfing. You'll be out there for hours now and you may have to find even more surf buddies to put up with you! I'm starting to have to pay my kids to go out with me so one of them can spot and hold the flag as I have a hard time getting out of the water. Plenty of summer left to take it to a higher level! :-)

deminimis
07-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, took the plunge and bought a Red Woody. Can't wait to give it a whirl tomorrow.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Gm7efbhgCYU/TFLtxElKtlI/AAAAAAAAAGc/lukBPDUS2vU/Red%20Woody.jpg

brucemac
07-30-2010, 01:50 PM
right on. not sure what you're coming from, but you'll love that board. it's an all around great board to own. where are you at deminimus? east or west side?

madmuffin
07-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Good choice! I have a IS Black Pearl Yellow and it's been a great board from my son (80#), my wife (125#) and myself (185#). I outgrew my Hyperlite Broadcast 5-6 last year and more than happy with the Inland Surfer. Look forward to hearing how it works for you.

deminimis
07-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Bruce, I'm in the hot, dry, and often windy Gorge area (Oregon side). I have the Hyperlite Broadcast board. Its works great for most riders, but I'm over 2 bills, so it was a bit small for me. Jeff at Inland really took care of me. I emailed him for a scratch-n-dent board (I've done a lot of repairs on my sailboards over the years, so I'm comfortable repairing epoxy boards). He emailed back that they were getting a shipping damage return. Well, it showed up and the damage was a smudge from where something wore a hole through the shipping box. The smudge was grease and it cleaned right up. Probably shouldn't share the price, but I gots me one of those chiteat'n grins, from ear to ear!!

Archimedes
08-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Just got CWB Ride and tried wake surfing for the first time last week. Man that is fun. The only one of us who could drop the rope was my 11 year old son though. I got close, but no cigar.

Trick to it? We have stock ballast, center and port side full, and we had what few people we had all on the left side. Got a nice little wave with a good curl, but even weighting the front foot, I wasn't able to keep a consistent push from the wave. Any tips?

deminimis
08-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Weighting your board is very subtle, but it will click eventually.

Several people recommend filling the center on a X-Star and several don't. My experience, with my boat anyway, is the wave is better without the center filled. Comparing our boats is like comparing red and green apples, so might not apply to you, but worth a shot. You may need to step up to a larger (and more expensive) board like a Red Woody if its not happening for you. Good luck!!

KnoxX2
08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Just got CWB Ride and tried wake surfing for the first time last week. Man that is fun. The only one of us who could drop the rope was my 11 year old son though. I got close, but no cigar.

Trick to it? We have stock ballast, center and port side full, and we had what few people we had all on the left side. Got a nice little wave with a good curl, but even weighting the front foot, I wasn't able to keep a consistent push from the wave. Any tips?

One trick I have learned when I teach new people is to tell them to get centered over the board and then lean FWD by bending at the waist. Kind of like you are reaching for the nose of the surf board. This seems to do the trick.

deminimis
08-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Well, since I didn't take the pic and the pic taker was using his pre-Civil War camera, beggars can't be choosers regarding the tiny file. Anyway, with all factory ballast filled, 750 in port locker, 400 (a little less actually) under observer's seat, probably around 250 in the bow, and about 500 in flesh ballast, here's what's what at 11.2MPH
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Gm7efbhgCYU/TGrguB7b5DI/AAAAAAAAAIo/1cKbXwkRAXQ/PhotoMoto%200092.jpg

mccobmd
08-20-2010, 11:09 PM
One trick I have learned when I teach new people is to tell them to get centered over the board and then lean FWD by bending at the waist. Kind of like you are reaching for the nose of the surf board. This seems to do the trick.

Yea, forward over the nose and over the wake. I sometimes tell people to reach out for the wave.