PDA

View Full Version : 1987 MC Prostar 190 restoration

philbee62
07-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi All,
I am restoring my 87 MC and have two questions...

1) The switch panels on my driver dashboard are faded and the lettering has been wiped out. What's the best way to restore these? Are there aftermarket decal sets or stencils I can buy to refurb the two panels?

2) The black paint on my windshield frame has chipped in a few places. My MC dealer said they just tape & protect the glass with newspaper and then simply use "black spray paint" from the hardware store. Can this be right!? I'd think I want to get it stripped and repainted at a body shop. Does anyone have any experience in having the metal parts repainted?

ramzak
07-09-2010, 04:12 AM
1. I dont know how to fix those other than armour all. I am going to a local panel shop (google: Control Panel Manufacturer in your area) and having them made out of aluminum. Watch my resto page to see how they turn out. Should have them back next week.

2. Cheap way: Mask and rattle can them. If you want to spend money DONT take to body shop for paint, it wont last. Because they are Aluminum you can have them annodized cheaper than repainted and it will last a long long time. Because annodizing actually embeds the color into the material. So say if you get a light scratch.... it will still be black underneath and scratch wont show. Powder coating is also a tough durable finish.

Google annodizers and powder coaters in your area.

BROUSSARD
07-09-2010, 11:42 AM
http:///Users/Andre/Desktop/pichers.jpg