PDA

View Full Version : exhaust water flow

ebayseller1987
07-02-2005, 05:29 PM
my dad has a 1999 prostar 205 with the 310 hp chevy 350. my question is last week i was skiing behind it and i didn't notice any water coming out of the exhaust as usual. just steam like vapors. the boat was also louder than usual. no overheating. just a little louder than usual and no water coming out of the exhaust flaps. looking for a direction to head in for repairs. Impeller? clogged water lines?

thanks

JEREMY79
07-02-2005, 05:49 PM
looks like it would have gotten hot :confused:

ebayseller1987
07-02-2005, 06:06 PM
no it did not get hot or anything. i just saw steam instead of water after i was out of the water being towed. we were cruising about 30mph. i took off the flange peice that the lines go to for the exhaust manifold. and there is a thermostat in there. it that for the exhaust?

6ballsisall
07-02-2005, 06:07 PM
What did the temp gauge say while skiing?

ebayseller1987
07-02-2005, 06:12 PM
160 all day as usual. the motor ran fine. not over heating or anything. do you know about the thermostat i am talking about. if you take the hoses off the manifolds and the peice they connect to for water flow there is a thermostat in there. is that to regulate water flow in the manifolds.

Cloaked
07-02-2005, 06:43 PM
There is a water restriction or deficiency somewhere. Investigate and resolve before further use. The thermostat is to control engine temps for cooling.

???
clogged water intake or water flow path, etc....
bad (or going bad) impeller
bad (or going bad) pump
leaking head gasket
bad (or going bad) thermostat
???

Where's Enginenut when ya' need him??? I know about enough to be dangerous.... ;) :D

And if you burn this engine and then I see it on Flea-Bay... I'm coming after you!!!! :D :D

JEREMY79
07-02-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm like Sporty, Just enough to be dangerous

If I'm not mistaken when all the shi.....stuff hit the fan with my engine I was wakeboarding and saw steam and no water. I just thought of that.
CHECK YOUR IMPELLER QUICK

ebayseller1987
07-03-2005, 03:12 PM
i checked the impeller and it was fine. all the fins were there. i will check all the hoses today for blockage. by steam i mean upon acceleration only. thanks

Cloaked
07-03-2005, 11:16 PM
You'll think I'm nuts but here's a shot....

To be sure your seeing what is believed to be no water coming out of the exhaust, (CAUTIOUSLY) lean over the back of the boat across the platform and place your hand down on the water and feel if hot water is coming out.
I say this because I used to barefoot right directly off of the platform on the older models before they changed the exhaust ports to the inside of the stringers, where then the water was too hot to step off onto.

Leroy, if I'm lying, I'm dying.... :D

Leroy
07-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Sporty; this sounds a little funny! Kinda like foot warmers? 8p

I've never noticed water running out, but then again my eyes are a little weak. If you can run the boat lifted and with water fed into the intake hose somehow you will know 1. if it is taking water in when warm and 2. where the warm water is going. If it ran all day at 160, it cannot be too bad.

MarkP
07-04-2005, 12:08 AM
160 all day as usual. the motor ran fine. not over heating or anything. do you know about the thermostat i am talking about. if you take the hoses off the manifolds and the peice they connect to for water flow there is a thermostat in there. is that to regulate water flow in the manifolds.
If the temp is 160 it sounds like your getting water but I would still check that out including looking for a clogged transmission cooler..

Has the bilge pump been running a lot?? Have you looked at the exhaust system inside the boat? A cracked muffler or hose??

Willski
07-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Another option is if there is an easy way to take your intake hose off and run it into a bucket while the boat is on the trailer, you will be able to tell if the intake is sucking water through and you should be getting water out of the exhaust. Steam is common depending on air/water temps. More common just taking off from idle.

jimmer2880
07-06-2005, 06:43 AM
My boat will steam a bit when you accelerate with a 160deg thermostat. If I put the 145 in her, no steam. As long as you're getting water through the exhaust (which - you need to verify per the above suggestions), you may be ok.

wesgardner
07-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Here's a thought - that water's gotta be going somewhere....I'd do as others have suggested - run 'er up while out of the water, investigate the entire system - you really don't want to cook your motor or any portion of the exhaust system...

Once again, that water's gotta b going somewhere - if its getting sucked in, its coming out....

Wes

jbfootin
07-06-2005, 09:38 AM
I had an '88 Prostar that came from FL. The water sleave around the manifold would get plugged once or twice a year. All of the water would be forced out of one side and the other would start to smoke. The hose that goes from the manifold to the exaust would actually smoke due to water flow and the smoke looked like something from James Bond. I would shut down right away. Take the hose off the exit side of the manifold and work to re-open the water sleave with a jacknife. I also unhooked the water in to the manifold and would keep dumping water in. At first it would not take any but as I worked the flow kept increasing.

Just my experience. I sold that boat.

good luck

east tx skier
07-06-2005, 10:12 AM
I agree that there's something blocked. When I'm skiing, I can see water shooting out of my pipes.