PDA

View Full Version : 1999 prostar 190 hood lift arms[gas shocks]

mcgyver
07-07-2010, 10:13 PM
I am having trouble finding the correct gas liftsprings for the hood assembly on my '99 ps190 the ones I removed had the mfg part #SL 31-30... these were 30# lifts , ordered new ones but they would not hold the weight..... any help will be great......

Skipper
07-08-2010, 09:49 AM
I actually found replacements at a local truck camper shell dealership. Just brought in the old ones and they matched them up for me. The "marine" suppliers charge twice as much and if nobody is in your area you are forced to buy on hope that it is the right part.

russlars
07-08-2010, 11:06 AM
When I replaced the ones on my motor box I just did a search online for the original supplier that was on the shock and contacted them directly for a replacement.

east tx skier
07-08-2010, 11:34 AM
In my case, my local dealer was actually a little cheaper than NAPA. The part may be different because I believe you have a clam shell (otherwise, I think the one I have for my 93 would work). In any event, just take it to the auto parts store or NAPA and they'll get you new ones to the tune of about $30--$40.

mcgyver
07-08-2010, 10:13 PM
maybe I didn't finish my complete thought, lets try again.. I did order the same part that came off of my new/used purchase 99 ps 190 but they did not hold the hood up at all, I replaced all 4 gas springs... If anyone with a 1999 ps 190 could look at thier gas springs on the hood assem. and post thier mfg part # not MC part # should read something like SL 31-30 .. they are 7 1/2'' extended......thanks again.

robin
07-10-2010, 01:15 AM
i just bought all new gas springs for my 1999 (clam shell engine box needed 4). i bought them from back to boating .com
http://www.backtoboating.com/Scripts/allsprings.asp

it was easy, they came quick, and were cheap. you can even choose your # pressure. i bought 50# for my observer seat instead of the oem 45 it had...works better then new now!

mcgyver
07-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Hey Robin thanks for the info can you tell me the part #'s for the clam shell lift shocks????? Also does your clam shell have 4 that are the same length 7 1/2" socket to socket????

robin
07-10-2010, 02:35 PM
i dont recall the part numers and my boat is 50 miles away. my oem springs had the atwood part numbers on them, something like sl-number-number. the last number is the pounds of pressure. mine had a sticker on them with "#number" i remember i got the same # as the oem for the top half, but went stonger for the bottom.....holds em up great now. if you cant find the part number, you can just order by lengh, pounds a pressure, and socket style.

mcgyver
07-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Robin on your PS 190 clam shell were all of the gas springs the same length or were two much longer than the others?????????

robin
07-10-2010, 11:46 PM
i dont recall for sure, but i want to say they were the same length, just the bottom ones were a heavier weight. i did the job late winter / early spring, and i was usually drinking beer when tinkering with my boat, dreaming of the summer. i also got springs for the observer seat and my truck too; i ordered a bunch to save on shipping costs. like you, when i previously got them from the dealer, the new ones didnt even hold the cover up. i almost got decapitated a couple of times checking the oil and such...

robin
07-14-2010, 09:14 PM
just got back from the lake. the part numbers for all 4 are:
sl-31-120
all four are the same size
robin