PDA

View Full Version : Alternator 240SC

psychobilly
07-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Well my new used 240SC had a charging issue so last weekend before we put her up I pulled the alternator off to have it check and found that the bracket was broken. This is the indmar 454BB and it appeared to be the original alternator, so 18+ years old... Not bad huh.

Well I took everything home and got me some scrap metal out and traced out the old bracket on to the plate. I then got the plasma cutter out and attempted to make me a new bracket. Not bad huh? I didn't have a drill bit the size I needed for teh mounting hole so I winged it with the plasma cutter too.

I know how everyone loves to see pics so I will post some more next week after I get the new alternator installed.

Question, I'm not running in saltwater so is there any difference in the OEM indmar alternator and an automotive one? I have seen a few things in here appear to look the same on the outside but built very differently. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Well as it turns out I couldn't find what I needed here so I called Jim at BAWS and he put me in contact with Chuck. Jim tell Chuck thanks fer me.

I'll post some pics of that "golden alternator" after it's installed next week. lol

Shane21
07-08-2010, 05:13 PM
I've always been told the automotive devices are not explosion proof/sealed. The marine versions keep the sparks from lighting up your engine compartment.

Let's see some pics of the 240SC. I have one as well and haven't met many others that do.

Matt L.
07-09-2010, 02:41 AM
So far this thread is 3 for 3 with the 240SC owners!

Get a marine alternator. Remember if you start leaking fuel, and it doesn't take much, you are sitting on top of a bowl full of gasoline vapor. 1 spark and you are done! I suppose I could calculate the amount it would take to reach the lower explosive limit, but I'm tired and have much work to do before taking my 240 to Lake Powell in 12 hours.

Just make sure you describe the wiring configuration you currently have so they dont send you one that is different.

Skidim sent me one that had funky connectors and was completely different. It is on the shelf. I know all I need is a wiring diagram to figure out which two connectors to combine to get the right combo, but I've never taken the time.

Good luck!

Matt

psychobilly
07-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Sorry it took so long to get back to you 2 guys but I've been out in the texas hill country since thursdee float'n the frio river. MUCH TOO NICE!

OK here's my 240SC

The alternator still hasn't showed up but I expect it here today or tomorrow. Chuck at BAWS drop shipped one to me but I didn't get any tracking info so I'm not exactly sure when it will get here.

Matt L.
07-12-2010, 10:52 AM
weren't you having problems with your hatch sealing? Get it fixed?

I'm at lake Powell this week with my 240SC. Will be making my longest run yet later this week up to Dangling Rope marina and the Rainbow Bridge. May tent camp on shore for a couple of days. Only brought 2 extra 5 gal gas cans. I'm a bit worried about that since I've seen multiple boats with cans 6 wide on the swim deck!

I went 40 miles to include a bunc of kids tubing ad didn't run out so I think I'll make it.

Later, sorry for the thread jack!

Matt

FrankSchwab
07-12-2010, 11:30 AM
There are generally some nice tent camping spots around Gunsight Butte. Go on the North side; you'll appreciate the late-afternoon shade.

/frank

psychobilly
07-13-2010, 06:55 AM
I still ain't found a solution to he hatch... I got the alternator in yesterdee and I should get it on this week hopefully.....

Shane21
07-13-2010, 10:46 AM
I bought some thicker weather stripping to help seal around my hatch. It still drips a little when alot of water hits it, but it's not that bad.

psychobilly
07-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks Shane, another guy on here said the same thing. It stays in covered storage so it's only those days you get caught in the rain on the lake. It happens in Texas quite often. lol Texas weather, if you don't like it just wait an hour.

Matt L.
07-14-2010, 12:18 PM
pretty strange on the hatch thing. I ran a strip of 1/4 X 3/4' MDT white weather stripping from HD and stuck it to the top sealing surface of the tip deck. Seals tight as a drum. Has to be redone annually from the kids going in and out.

We beat her like a rented mule yesterday. Wahweap/Stateline boat ramp to the Rainbow Bridge, Cathedral Canyon (slot canyons boat width + 1-2 feet on each side), Mountain Sheep canyon (ran out of gas there, had 10 gal extra on the swim platform), Dangling Rope Marina, Wakeboarding, waterskiing, tubing. 109 miles per gps round trip, in 1 day, 169 mile in 2 days.

Never skipped a beat!

Later,

Matt

psychobilly
07-15-2010, 07:26 AM
I looked that up on the net, that's some good looking country! You got any pics of that area to post????

psychobilly
01-17-2011, 01:55 AM
***UPDATE***

Well I found the culprit of why the bracket broke when I was at home last time. (No pics but I do promise some next time I'm home after seeing East Tex Skiers purdy motor) On the Indmar 454 there is a bracket where the alternator bolts to the front of the motor. One bolt on the bottom and the top bolt, a lil longer, goes through this bracket and then through another. Well the main bracket bolt on the bottom was broke off in the block. So there was only the long top one taken all the weight of the alternator.... I reckon that's why that bracket shown in the first pics posted broke like it did... I finally went out and winterized it before I left a couple weeks ago and since I was there I took the tools I needed to drill it out. I took everything off, hoses, alternator, ect... so I could access it easily. Punched the bolt so my bit wouldn't walk and viollla! Easy out in and she came right out!!! :-) I have since ordered new hoses, strainer, and other lil things so I can get her ready for this summer. When I get home I will have camera and black paint in hand. I'll try and get some pics posted after I get it all fixed up.

I'm also gunna disconnect the shaft from the tranny and check motor alignment..... That should be fun since it don't look like it's ever been done..... I'm sure it's out too....