PDA

View Full Version : 1988 MC TriStar190 Restoration!!!!

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:02 AM
This is my restoration of a 1988 TriStar 190 I found on Craigslist!

I bought it and immediately sold my 1996 Crownline 185BR.

This first post will be all writing and I will post pics and captins after wards.

I am not the best picture taker, so if there is something specific you want me to take a picture of, let me know and I will do it.

I will answer any questions I can AND I will also have many questions for you.

There will be a few parts on this boat that I will not be reusing do to some of my design changes. I will list them on here. If you want the part, be the first to claim it and I will ship it to you once I get a check for shipping charges.

The boat started as a craigslist find. The price was right, the boat ran perfect, so I bought it. Only problem is that it looked 22 years old. the gelcoat was dull, carpet faded, crappy stereo, stickers and pinstripes were missing/scratched. The upholstery was in good shape. Previous owner "claims" it was redone 2 yrs ago. Its not perfect, but not messed up enough to justify the cost of replacement...yet

Here is the list of things we did, are doing, will do:
1. Strip the entire boat down to Hull, Engine, Drivetrain.
2. Strip the hull of all old stickers and pinstripes
3. Wet sand the hull completely
4. Buff/Polish the hull
5. New Decals
6. New Pinstripes
7. New Carpet - This started as a "carpet replacment" project but, once we pulled the carpet and saw all the rotten boards, it turned into a "rebuild the floor" project.
8. Build new fiberglass boards for the floor
9. Add a Wake Board Tower/eliminate ski pole(first thing up for grabs for whoever wants it with all the hardware)
10. Insane Stereo System, 15" sub, custom box, 6 sets of speakers,amps, the whole deal. I installed stereos for show cars and high end boats to put myself through college (Mechanical Engineering-University of Houston c/o 2005). This is a passion of mine and probably the area on this board that I can help out the most and offer a lot of experience and know how.
11. Polish/Reinstall all the glass channel and make a window for the side panels (not sure if this window didnt come from the factory or mine just didnt have it????)
12. Tint Glass
13. Clean/Polish/replace/repaint various things on the boat (i.e. grab handles, cup holders, hardware, vents, etc...)
14. Make new ignition and switch panels for the dash.
15. Replace all das and switch lights with blue LED's
16. Add blue LED courtesy lights throughout the boat.
17. Replace Rubrail
18. Replace Stern and Anchor lights
19. Learn which side of a boat is left or right (starboard or port....really gay names)
20 Tower speakers, Tower lights, Wakeboard racks, Tower rear view mirror.
21. Dual batteries
22. Make custom side panels to hold the speakers and for storage.
23. Rebuild and paint trailer
24. Run/replace a lot of NEW wires throughout the boat
25. Herculine the raised fiberglass area on the swim deck and top of bow.

There's probably a lot more, which I will write and post pictures about.

Enjoy my contribution, ask as many questions as possible, and help me where I need help PLEASE!!!!

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:10 AM
OK. Starting to post pics. The "before" pics are on my computer at work. I will post those tommorw.

Here are the current pics. Never done this before.59508

Thesse are pictures of the boat AFTER being completely wetsanded, buffed, and polished.

You can also see the new decals and pinstripes. I chose a MC decal without the line through the middle like original because I felt that line causes more "weak points" in the sticker. I want it to stay looking new as long as possible.

You can also see the WakeBoard tower mounts

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:15 AM
PIcs of New Carpet and floor boards59511

You can see the newly carpeted floorboard has NO hole for the ski pole.

This allows more walking around room and is not a dangerous spike sticking out of the middle of the boat.

This brings me to my first give away:

The ski pole. Who wants it? includes both U-bolts, Nylok nuts and washers. Good Condition.

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:21 AM
My favorite part!!!

The Beast of a Stereo:
Pioneer Head Unit
Diamond Audio DVC 15" Sub
2 sets of Polk MM 6x9's
1 set of Phoenix Gold 6.5's in the tower
1 D600.1 Amp for the sub
1 D300.4 Amp for the speakers

Custom built enclosure with ALL wires and amps hidden from view.59513

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:22 AM

Notice how seamlessly this box fits. Looks like it came with the boat. The face of the box is carpeted with the same carpet I did the boat with.

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:28 AM
Herculined the raised/bumpy parts of the boat because I could not sand the tiny bumps and it was the best solution I could think of. It looks awesome too!

The discloration of the black in the pictures is only there because dust settled on the boat and I must have touched the "darker" parts and knocked the dust off.

All the black on the boat both herculiner and hull are very shiny black.59520

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Reinstalling parts of the interior.

Like I said before.....Its not perfect...But not bad enough to replace(for my budget)

I just used a bunch of vinyl shampoo, brush, and LOTS of elbow grease to get the vinyl looking good again.59525

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:37 AM
Reattaching the window channel after buffing it out. Glass is not in yet because Im waiting to have it tinted. YOU NEED TO TINT YOUR BOAT!! It looks SOOOOOO much better!!59529

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Installed the head unit59533

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:40 AM
The black around the head unit looks discolored in the pics.... But that is not the case...Compination of Flash and Dirt that has gathered since I wetsanded and buffed it.

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:41 AM
Restored the dash. Its crazy what half a bottle of arourall can do!

The two panels that go in the big square cutouts I am currently having remade out of aluminum.

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:43 AM
NO Pic here

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:45 AM
Freebee #2!

This is the panel that goes underneath the passenger dash. Fiberglass is PERFECT. Carpet is PERFECT. Because it is out of the sun and hangs upside down....it gets NO wear and tear.

To someone that is looking for this.... This could be a lifesaver!

Fire Extinguisher holder is NOT included.

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:48 AM
FreeBee #3:

4 Marine Speakers(2 sets). They are West Marine brand 6.5" marine grade speakers. They work well. Sound.....eh.....not so well. Depends on your taste. Im an audiophile and I love high end stereo stuff.... This is not for me.

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:50 AM
The TOWER!!!!!!

Wakeboard racks and mirror not installed yet.

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:55 AM
The Head Unit, Amps, and Speakers.

Notice two things about the speakers. They are car speakers(WAY cheaper than marine speakers and usually sound better) but read the litle yellow writting on the box. It says "marine certified". This is what sold me about the speakers. 2nd thing is the little black box with wires. This is called an external crossover. to put it in simple terms: it makes it sound WAY better. These are the MM series polks, you can get the db series for about 1/2 the price and they are also marine certified and come with external crossovers.59542

ramzak
07-07-2010, 02:58 AM
Once I pull the boat out of the garage (this week) I will have WAY BETTER pics for everyone. Please tell me if you would like to see any specific pics.

Thats it for tonite.....Enjoy!!!

LaRue
07-07-2010, 05:46 AM
impressive undertaking! appreciate you posting your progress. Love the orange jackets hanging in the garage. let's see a photo of you boarding off that new tower with a classic life preserver. :D

91prostar
07-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Looking good ramzak, I will be watching this one, I have a 91 tristar that need that same list and new vinyl as well. I had on of the side windows broken in mine when I bought it, I ordered new tinted plexi and built two new windows. I do have one of the original side windows if you want it. Post often and keep us up to date..

ramzak
07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
impressive undertaking! appreciate you posting your progress. Love the orange jackets hanging in the garage. let's see a photo of you boarding off that new tower with a classic life preserver. :D

yeah, those are only to keep me legal. They never get used. I have a couple really nice ones for wakeboarding!

ramzak
07-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Today we installed the Speakers and crossover's in the side panels. Installed the side panels. Wired and installed the 2nd amp for the highs.

ramzak
07-08-2010, 12:25 AM
More Pics.

DBBOOM
07-08-2010, 01:14 AM
I did kinda the same thing to my '89 Tristar this winter. Except painted the outer hull. I replaced the carpet, cleaned the vinyl, tower ............everything. My system is a little different though.

(6) 6.5" Kicker Co-axials on the tower (2 facing forward, 4 facing rear)
(4) 8" Poly-planer Tri-axials in the cabin area
(2) 8" Kicker L7s in a ported enclosure under passenger kick, tuned to 38Hz

Kenwood Excelon HU X992 w/swim platform mounted remote and wireless remote

(2) Old School Hifonics Thor Series VII Amps (Circa '93) powering the Mids/highs
(1) Old School Hifonics Zeus Series VII Amp (Circa '93) powering the subs
(1) Hifonics Line driver with Lo-pass X-over and subsonic filter

(2) Kinetik HC 2000 reserve batteries
(1) Stinger digital volt gauge with low-volt audible/visual warning
DCPower inc. 140A alternator

Really like the time and effort you have put in...........nice skills. Looking forward to finished pics.

Dylan
07-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Looks like a great project, and well thought out. The stereo install looks well integrated into the boat, and almost factory. Keep the pictures and progress coming!

joecarew3
07-08-2010, 01:43 PM
My garage looks just like yours....like a bomb went off in there. Too busy to clean when the boat needs attention. Love the project, boat looks great. I am not familiar with the tristar seating, are you losing your observers seat bench, was there ever one there? What are you plans for ballast? (if any) What will you be using this boat primarily for? You look to be a young guy, I am as well. Pretty slick to have a Mastercraft that you paid for so early on. Keep up the good work, its looking real good.

PS... sent a pm about that pylon. Thanks!

Joe

ramzak
07-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Looks like a great project, and well thought out. The stereo install looks well integrated into the boat, and almost factory. Keep the pictures and progress coming!

Thanks, that was the goal. We wanted it to not look obnoxious.

ramzak
07-08-2010, 03:55 PM
My garage looks just like yours....like a bomb went off in there. Too busy to clean when the boat needs attention. Love the project, boat looks great. I am not familiar with the tristar seating, are you losing your observers seat bench, was there ever one there? What are you plans for ballast? (if any) What will you be using this boat primarily for? You look to be a young guy, I am as well. Pretty slick to have a Mastercraft that you paid for so early on. Keep up the good work, its looking real good.

Joe

I am such a neat-nic too. Normally my garage is spotless and very well organized. Im just trying to get the boat done so we can use it as much as possible this season.

Tri star seating is just like your common Bow Rider(Bow seats, 2 captains seats, and a bench in the back). I will just mount the passenger captains seat backwards so it shouldnt get in the way of anything..

The boat will be used for days on the lake (partying, lounging, wake boarding, pulling kids on a tube, etc...). NO ballast system, dont care about a bike wake as I am not that great of a wake boarder. Just wanted to eliminate the pole because its an eyesore and hard to get around the boat. And the tower looks really good.

If you work HARD AND SMART, you can afford to play hard! (mommy and daddy dont give me a dime, unlike a few friends I have).

PM-ed you back about the pylon.

ridefst
07-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Very nice looking!
What tower is that? I'm looking for a tower for my '88 Tristar 220, can't decide between cheap and semi-ugly or expensive and nice.
I might follow your lead with the herculiner, little concerned that it'll get too hot in the sun though.

ramzak
07-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Very nice looking!
What tower is that? I'm looking for a tower for my '88 Tristar 220, can't decide between cheap and semi-ugly or expensive and nice.
I might follow your lead with the herculiner, little concerned that it'll get too hot in the sun though.

I did not know they made 22' TriStars? Cool!

It is a tower a friend of mine who is in the business makes. He sells the Tower, Speaker Cans w/speakers, light bar, 2 wake board racks, and mirror as a package. We are currently discussing what will be a good price point for all of this and try to sell them on many boat forums. I am a piping engineer and helped him design it. It is universal and folds down. Keep watching my posts and you will soon see pics of it on the boat. You let me know you think it looks and what price we can sell them at. I think this will be the first lower priced tower that looks very high end.

We were concerned about the liner getting hot as well. But this was the best solution we could think of when wet sanding the boat because it is hard/impossible to wetsand the little bumps. The front part has a grab rail above it so it is hard to actually touch unless your intentionaly trying to touch it. The back is right on the waterline of the boat so you could splash it a little before u climb up or lay a towel down before u sit. After standing on it we also realized how super slip resistant it is. That way kids jumping off of it won't slip. I think it is very safe. But this was not the cheap spray can stuff. It is actual roll on thick Herculiner brand. It's about 1/8"-1/4" thick. It also looks REALLY good. Wait till I get some pics of it out in the sun this week.

Hrkdrivr
07-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Wow man, you don't mess around. Way to tackle this thing whole-heartedly!!

ramzak
07-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Joe

Dude, your comment made me clean my whole garagre up this weekend!!!

I also did it because the mess wass slowing me down.

KelBCx9
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Nice Work! I have a friend who has rebuilt his, He made a observation seat for the front. He built a plug and had a mold made. It looks factory. I will post some pics if you are want to see,also added a tower. Keep up the good work!

joecarew3
07-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Dude, your comment made me clean my whole garagre up this weekend!!!

I also did it because the mess wass slowing me down.

Thats odd, I just did the same thing. Needed some room so I could change the bearings on the trailer. Too funny.

ramzak
07-28-2010, 02:41 AM
Nice Work! I have a friend who has rebuilt his, He made a observation seat for the front. He built a plug and had a mold made. It looks factory. I will post some pics if you are want to see,also added a tower. Keep up the good work!

Please show me some pics! I am thinking of doing that myself. Need some ideas!

jwasch
08-03-2010, 06:53 PM
That boat looks great! I have a 89 tristar I was wondering where you got the tower? I like how it looks like it flows with the tristar design. Any info would be great.thanks.

cadi1@charter.net
08-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Damn son, nice work... I would love to do that with my 91 Tri but too much $$$

ramzak
08-21-2010, 04:19 PM
That boat looks great! I have a 89 tristar I was wondering where you got the tower? I like how it looks like it flows with the tristar design. Any info would be great.thanks.

http://www.legittowers.com/

Got the Tower
2 Speakers and Cans
Light Bar
Rear View Mirror
2 Wakeboard racks
for $1600 shipped

ramzak
08-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Damn son, nice work... I would love to do that with my 91 Tri but too much $$$

Total in Resto costs is about $3000-$4000
The tower is half the cost at $1600

ridefst
08-21-2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.legittowers.com/

Got the Tower
2 Speakers and Cans
Light Bar
Rear View Mirror
2 Wakeboard racks
for $1600 shipped
So your friend is actually manufacturing these in CA?
That's pretty cool, the other tower I was looking at was the Aerial Airborne, but that's a china import, which I don't care for.

Yeah, there are a few 22' Tristars out there, but they're a little rare. Most of them don't have any console/windshield on the left side, so they're really open, but mine is the standard bow rider like yours, just 3' longer so it's got a ton of room inside.

ramzak
08-30-2010, 01:53 AM
So I finished it in time to still have a few a months left of wakeboarding this year.

Still have a couple things to finish up to get it to my liking.

Im thinking about selling it and restoring another boat.... I would like a V-drive.

What do you guys think a good price for this boat would be?

krcflyer
09-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Nice work! The tower is the first I've seen that fits. Will def go through your pics again as my '91 needs some love. Thanks for posting!

krcflyer
09-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Would like to see pics of a good observer seat, also. My Bass Pro Shop fold down works, but is cheesy. :)

vshockey10
09-19-2010, 07:41 PM
I found this Forum looking for information about a 1989 tristar that I might be getting. Your refurbish looks amazing and makes me want to get the boat for sure.

How is the wake on the boat?

jdmcraft
09-20-2010, 10:50 AM
ramzak,

Your boat looks beautiful. I have the same boat only its a 1990. Did you replace the gas tank during your restore? I don't think you did from what I read but maybe you could direct me to a website or reputable dealer from which I could purchase a proper gas tank. Thanks. Well done!

ramzak
09-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Wake is not that great. It IS a SKI boat so the wake is pretty flat and hard. Which is GOOD for amatuers like me and the people that ride with me. I cant do flips or crazy jumps.

No I did not replace the tank. Which is something I regret now. I had it all apart and right there. I should have at least cleaned it out. Maybe this winter when I do some engine mods and refurb.

trasey
11-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Any way you can post the pictures of the dash redone. I just bought a Tristar about 4 months ago and am looking to redue some of the dash.

JohnE
12-01-2010, 09:25 AM
I missed this thread until now. 2 thoughts.

1. Since it is a ski boat, I wouldn't have got rid of the pylon. If you didn't want it for your use I'd have kept it for the next owner.

2. As far as what is it worth, I'd say $10K.

ULMboarder
12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
This is too funny. I have a 89 tristar closed bow that im in the process of doing the exact same thing.

list of things im doing:

add ons:
Aerial Airborne Tower (black) done
Aerial bat wing swivel board racks done
Wetsounds pro485 and treo amp done
(4) memphis marine 6x9 in the walls done
(2) memphis marine 6x9s in the dash firing up toward the windshield
(2) memphis marine 6.5s on the angled surface just above the swim platform
Pioneer head unit (exact same one as yours) done
(2) 12" memphis subs with treo amp and custom up fire ported box
(2) power pack amps for inboats
Westsounds WS420 EQ with PA system built in
650lb intergrated ballast bag with reversable pump
750lb sac for the rear seat area with reversable pump
pump switches so that everything is fully automatic
seadek with custom logo on the swim platform
4 blade 13x13 prop done
half wrap for company on the white area underneath the red stripe
traction material for nose of boat
LED rings around tower speakers and speakers on the back of boat
LEDs on back of grill on all inboat speakers
LED curtesey lights and strips in all compartments
All LEDs will be red to match the boat
20% tint on windshield

cosmetic and replacement stuff:
new mastercraft decal in new location
wetsand and buff
removal of original decals on front and back
new black solid rubber rub rail
repaint trailer red like original
new black teardrop fenders on trailer since both are bent to hell
new gray carpet in boat and on bunks and runners
new pole pads
new chrome rims that come on xpress bass boat trailers
replace the current winch stand setup with a more modern roller winch stand (major metal work)
new LED trailer lights
replace all guages so that all match.
fix gelcoat spider cracks and chips from previous owner
paddlewheel style speedometer pickup

I think thats about it. Im puttin more bling in than you are but kinda have to since its gonna be a show boat. this is the only pic i got right now and its after i put the tower on, no tower speakers yet. ill get some more pics soon.

lazydog3
12-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Looks good. I am about to redo the same boat. Any tips on parts or leasons learned. 1988 Tristar 190

ULMboarder
12-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Looks good. I am about to redo the same boat. Any tips on parts or leasons learned. 1988 Tristar 190

ill let ya know if i run into anything. only thing i recommend is if its a little hard to start or runnin rough, take the paper fuel filter off and mount a newer one. Im using the yamaha ones that yamaha requires to be on their new engines. its like 35 bucks but it has solved so many problems with this new fuel.

How involved are you gettin with your refurb?

O2BESOHUGE
12-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Boat Looks Good! But, Get Those Mailbox Numbers Off The Boat! Go Toa Sign Shop And Let Them Do You Some Out Of Vinyl. They Will Look Much Better!

JohnE
12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Boat Looks Good! But, Get Those Mailbox Numbers Off The Boat! Go Toa Sign Shop And Let Them Do You Some Out Of Vinyl. They Will Look Much Better!

IT IS MUCH EASIER TO READ IF YOU EITHER CAPITALIZE JUST THE FIRST WORD IN EACH SENTENCE OR ELSE EVERY LETTER.:rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
12-07-2010, 07:09 PM
IT IS MUCH EASIER TO READ IF YOU EITHER CAPITALIZE JUST THE FIRST WORD IN EACH SENTENCE OR ELSE EVERY LETTER.:rolleyes:

HoW AbOuT EvErY oThEr LeTtEr?:D

O2BESOHUGE
12-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I Dont Know Why It Does That...i Use Autocad And Have The Caps Locked For That. Sometimes It Only Does The First Letter And Other Times It Does Them All... Who Knows?

aaron.
12-08-2010, 11:17 AM

This allows more walking around room and is not a dangerous spike sticking out of the middle of the boat.

really? :confused::rolleyes:

Skipper
12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
PIcs of New Carpet and floor boards59511

This brings me to my first give away:

The ski pole. Who wants it? includes both U-bolts, Nylok nuts and washers. Good Condition.

Great work on your restoration.

A ski boat without a tow pylon? I am a swerver. Every once in a while I tow a boarder or even a surfer. Yeah, a Prostar 190 is not the greatest boat for the job, but the point is that at some time in your life you might have a need for a ski pylon in your ski boat?

ahhudgins
12-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Great work on your restoration.

A ski boat without a tow pylon? I am a swerver. Every once in a while I tow a boarder or even a surfer. Yeah, a Prostar 190 is not the greatest boat for the job, but the point is that at some time in your life you might have a need for a ski pylon in your ski boat?

My used 95 Maristar 200VRS came with no pylon in the floor. It was owned by an older couple who just used the boat to drive around the lake. I had to use the rear tow eye for a few months while I was fabricating a custom bracket to install the pylon under the sun deck like most other V-drives. Believe me, it's a pain in the butt getting the rope back to a skier using the rear tow eye after you have been driving direct drives for 20 years. It's a whole lot easier with the rope in front of the motor.

JohnE
12-08-2010, 03:35 PM
I Dont Know Why It Does That...i Use Autocad And Have The Caps Locked For That. Sometimes It Only Does The First Letter And Other Times It Does Them All... Who Knows?

It seriously makes it so hard to read. Maybe use Word and cut and paste your replies.

ramzak
12-22-2010, 03:35 AM
Of couse I took out the Ski Pylon? That is the whole reason I got the tower. You attach the tow rope to the top of the tower?!?!? Duh!

There is no more reason for it. If you ever wanted to put it back in... just drill a hole in the right spot in the floor board.

For the guys restoring it.... The further you dig in the more stuff you realize you ant to do. I wasnt going to replace the floor, but when the carpet came out, all the boards were rotted. Thats when I made new ones and eliminated the pylon. I should have removed and claned the fuel tank whenI had full accessto it. Other than that, go as far as you can afford.

JohnE
12-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Of couse I took out the Ski Pylon? That is the whole reason I got the tower. You attach the tow rope to the top of the tower?!?!? Duh!

There is no more reason for it. If you ever wanted to put it back in... just drill a hole in the right spot in the floor board.
For the guys restoring it.... The further you dig in the more stuff you realize you ant to do. I wasnt going to replace the floor, but when the carpet came out, all the boards were rotted. Thats when I made new ones and eliminated the pylon. I should have removed and claned the fuel tank whenI had full accessto it. Other than that, go as far as you can afford.

My point was that even though you have no need for it, the next owner might. I'd hang on to it rather than give it away or sell it.

DooSPX
12-22-2010, 08:57 AM
My point was that even though you have no need for it, the next owner might. I'd hang on to it rather than give it away or sell it.

I agree 100%
besides, the pylon does not even take up that much room because you already have the engine cover in the middle of the boat. What if someone wanted to ski?

Anyway, what do you mean all the floor boards were rotted? MC has not had wood floors or stringers since 82 I believe. The only wood should be the engine box.

JohnE
12-22-2010, 09:23 AM
They haven't had wood stringers since '83. Floors were wood back then though until sometime in the 90's

east tx skier
12-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Early 90s, if that.

DooSPX
12-22-2010, 02:29 PM
They haven't had wood stringers since '83. Floors were wood back then though until sometime in the 90's

Yes, what I meant was no wood in 83 boats, so 82 was the last year.
My 91 as no wood floors. Only wood in the boat is the dog house and teak.
I think wood floors when out in the 80's too.

ramzak
12-22-2010, 04:23 PM
I agree 100%
besides, the pylon does not even take up that much room because you already have the engine cover in the middle of the boat. What if someone wanted to ski?

Anyway, what do you mean all the floor boards were rotted? MC has not had wood floors or stringers since 82 I believe. The only wood should be the engine box.

Your right that it does not take up "much" room. But the way it is positioned and sticks up...You get A LOT more walk around room and ease of walking through when you remove it. But Yes I still have the Pylon for the next owner.

If somebody wants to ski..... Its not the early 90's anymore! NOBODY Skis anymore! Everybody Wakeboards. You cant hardly find ski's for sale anymore. Plus I dont carry skis on the boat.... And if they wanted to Ski and brought their own skis.... Whats the problem with skiing from my other 2 tow points (at the top of the tower or from the back hook)???

There are 3 Fiberglass covered wood boards that run along the center of the boat. One behind the engine, one in front, and one in the bow...

Tealchevy
12-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Its not the early 90's anymore! NOBODY Skis anymore! Everybody Wakeboards. You cant hardly find ski's for sale anymore.

seriously?

DemolitionMan
12-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Yes, what I meant was no wood in 83 boats, so 82 was the last year.
My 91 as no wood floors. Only wood in the boat is the dog house and teak.
I think wood floors when out in the 80's too.

Your engine cover is wooden? My 78 was glass.

ramzak
12-23-2010, 09:06 AM
seriously?

Very Serious

wheelerd
12-24-2010, 02:52 AM
You need the forward pylon so you have something to attach the barefoot boom too!! :D:D

ramzak
04-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Taking her out tomorrow for the first time this season.

Ill post pics monday!

ramzak
04-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Couldnt post the pics up here.

So they are here for now:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/152459-what-i-do-my-taco.html#post3056247

thatsmrmastercraft
04-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Cool looking Tristar.

Try this method for posting pics:

1. Click Paperclip icon
2. Click Browse button
3. Locate the picture in your computer and click on it
4. Click Upload button ( to the right of the Browse button)
5. Once picture is uploaded (it will take a moment or two) it will show as Current Attachment
6. Click Close Window button
7. After you have entered text, use Preview Post button to make sure you selected the proper picture.

ramzak
07-11-2011, 01:26 AM
Finshed along with nut and bolt restoration of trailer

FOR SALE!

ramzak
07-11-2011, 01:30 AM

More pics

ramzak
07-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Boat is for SALE!!!

$16,500

I completed a nut and bolt restoration of the trailer.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Nice clean up and doing required maintenance to bring it back to sea worthiness, imo a little over kill in some areas ie. rhino lined deck, massive stereo, removed pylon and other "custom" projects. While its great to make the boat your own, its not a good idea for resale I think its going to take a special wally to pay 16.5k for your customized tri-star , real value around 10K or less, whats the condition of the engine. Your not going to even get that much with the running issues you have with the engine as you discussed in another thread. I bought mine for less than that and it was in mint near show room condition, Good luck with your sale.

wheelerd
07-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Looks nice but I have to agree with the previous poster. For $16.5k you can buy a decent PS205 with tower which is a much better boarding hull than the TriStar, not to mention the possibility of getting fuel injection reliability. (Not to knock the TriStar as a boat -- I owned one myself and completely redid the interior.)
Good luck on the sale.

87MCProstar
07-22-2011, 12:59 PM
After reading this tread from the start, I'm thinking this guy just tried to 'flip' the boat and he can't even ski at all. Taking out the pylon?.?. Everyone intitled to their opinon I guess...Also mentioned 'engine mods' but no proof. Sounds very sketchy to me.

Ben
07-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Very Serious

I skied this morning. It was nice, I liked it a lot.

Agree with previous posters, that customizing something for resale is a sure loss of investment, in most situations. Especially when your base is not a highly sought after hull.

ramzak
12-29-2011, 04:05 AM
Rhino Line= Hull was dull in that area, cant wetsand that bumpy surface and get in between the bumps. I thought this was the best solution. And I think it looks cool

Stereo= Music is a passion. I am young and love to listen to music loud and clear.

Pylon= Got in the way of moving between sets, never ride with less than 3-4 ppl so I dont want them to get their heads cut-off by the rope. And YES I STILL stand by my comment, "NO BODY SKIS ANYMORE!!!!"

The special Wally is the guy that wants something that looks and sounds like the $80,000 brand new boat but does not want to pay $80,000

This boat is a lot more about fun and appearance than anything else.

RUnning issues in other thread= Boat is a 1988, its not brand new and its gonna have its isues. I have taken care of them and am considering rebuilding the engine in the next month.

Nice clean up and doing required maintenance to bring it back to sea worthiness, imo a little over kill in some areas ie. rhino lined deck, massive stereo, removed pylon and other "custom" projects. While its great to make the boat your own, its not a good idea for resale I think its going to take a special wally to pay 16.5k for your customized tri-star , real value around 10K or less, whats the condition of the engine. Your not going to even get that much with the running issues you have with the engine as you discussed in another thread. I bought mine for less than that and it was in mint near show room condition, Good luck with your sale.

ramzak
12-29-2011, 04:10 AM
I hav had this boat for 2 years now and used it almost every othe weekend during boating season. It is absolutely NOT a flip. You dont know me. I still own the ski pilon, its just removed. all it takes is a hole saw and a wrench to install it.

I want a BIGGER BOAT, that is the only reason for selling.

Engine mods include a new igntion system. Coil, Dist, plugs, wires.

Seriously considering rebuild.

After reading this tread from the start, I'm thinking this guy just tried to 'flip' the boat and he can't even ski at all. Taking out the pylon?.?. Everyone intitled to their opinon I guess...Also mentioned 'engine mods' but no proof. Sounds very sketchy to me.

ramzak
12-29-2011, 04:18 AM
Nice clean up and doing required maintenance to bring it back to sea worthiness

Most offensive post yet.

I spent 6-months rstoring this boat in a way to make it appear perfect (no scratches, no carpet stains, everything operational) and you call it a "clean up" or "maintanance"???

Forget YOU!

I took the effort to post pics, help people out, and give information here and your going to dis me because you disagree with my sell price???

Forget YOU again!

Just because your old and still ski and cant stand loud music is not my problem.

You are also probably not as anal as me and can livve with little stains and scratches here and there.

I hope you can understand what I mean by the word "forget" and I wouldnt sell you my boat that I poured my time into even if your sorry butt offered me twice what Im asking....

psychobilly
12-29-2011, 09:00 AM
j.mccreight I think this feller :rant: might have got'n a lil offended by your honesty...
:uglyhamme

JohnE
12-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Great job on the restore. Boat looks fantastic. I can't imagine getting over $10K for the boat, but if you do then that is fantastic. I can see why you would want a bigger boat. I had an 88 tristar 190 and interior is cramped.

363COUPE
12-29-2011, 11:44 AM
I've noticed that the price opinions on this board are low. I buy and sell MasterCrafts as a hobby. I like buying abused boats, fixing all problems (mechanical & cosmetic), and then turning them for a profit. Most figures people give on this board are a good bit lower than the prices I have gotten on these boats here in Ms. IMHO, I could get $12,500 easy for that boat. I've sold 2 TriStars this year that brought 11K each and they were not in as good condition as this boat.

Just my 2 cents

rjracin240
12-29-2011, 11:49 AM
I've noticed that the price opinions on this board are low. I buy and sell MasterCrafts as a hobby. I like buying abused boats, fixing all problems (mechanical & cosmetic), and then turning them for a profit. Most figures people give on this board are a good bit lower than the prices I have gotten on these boats here in Ms. IMHO, I could get $12,500 easy for that boat. I've sold 2 TriStars this year that brought 11K each and they were not in as good condition as this boat.

Just my 2 cents

Always enjoy pictures on this site, give us some inspiration with some pics of your builds!

363COUPE
12-29-2011, 12:12 PM
The first pic is of a 1990 MasterCraft TriStar on the left and a 1990 Ski Supreme on the right. I sold the Supreme a couple weeks ago. The TriStar only has 575 hours on it and the interior was stained. I put new interior in it and I'm in the process of water sanding the hull.
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/363coupe/914535d4.jpg
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/363coupe/070e45c1.jpg
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/363coupe/b67ed0ea.jpg
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/363coupe/0001cc5f.jpg
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/363coupe/4e804492.jpg

363COUPE
12-29-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't usually take in progress pics but I'm trying to get better at it.

363COUPE
12-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Heres one more pic of the Ski Supreme. One of my most favorite boats I've had.
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss248/363coupe/1990%20Ski%20Supreme/P7060625a.jpg

JohnE
12-29-2011, 01:31 PM

Just my 2 cents

The price opinions that I have seen are pretty much on the mark. Whatever market you are in is bringing higher than average dollars. I know a guy here who is original owner of a low hour '90 tristar 190 open bow who had it for sale for 2 seasons for $12K and couldn't sell it. If you look at what $16,500 can buy in a used mastercraft, I can't imagine anyone spending it on the boat in the OP. That is not a knock on the boat or the owner. But when you put that much work and money in a project it is a labor of love. You will rarely break even money wise, nevermind factoring in time. Especially when you are talking red headed stepchild of the lineup.

rjracin240
12-29-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't usually take in progress pics but I'm trying to get better at it.

Thanks for the pic's and the promise of more in progress pic's to come.
Looks like you have a fun profitable hobby, would be interested to see threads of your sucesses and lessons learned

363COUPE
12-29-2011, 03:50 PM
I really enjoy doing it plus it gives me the oppertunity to own different boats to find the one I like the best. I'm looking for a ProStar 205 with EFI right now, I think I'll be happy with it......for now at least.

Maristar210
12-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Those Pall Mall's'll kill you 363.

A fifteen year old Prostar is well worth 10k.

A Tristar with a ghetto stereo and some kid owning it? Who wants $16,500?

RUN !!!!!!

363COUPE
12-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Those Pall Mall's'll kill you 363. Yeah, I know. I need to quit.

A fifteen year old Prostar is well worth 10k. Agreed

A Tristar with a ghetto stereo and some kid owning it? Who wants $16,500? I think his price is a little high but there's a sucker born everyday. As far as the ghetto stereo, I have to disagree. He did a very nice and clean installation. Just because it has the capability to blow your ear drums doesn't mean you have to turn it up that loud.

RUN !!!!!!

Maristar210
12-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Good point. Maybe he'll sell it. Best if luck to him.

I smoked for twenty years. I know its a tough habit to give up.

BrooksfamX2
12-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Stereo= Music is a passion. I am young and love to listen to music loud and clear.

.............. And YES I STILL stand by my comment, "NO BODY SKIS ANYMORE!!!!".............

Nice build and documentation. I appreciate the work you put into it. No comment on price other than it's worth what someone will pay for it.

Uhhh....BTW...I'm over 55, I ski, board, tube, surf, have lots-o-speakers, 2 subs, 1000+ watts, play it loud, rock and roll, no country.......... I must be an old nobody.......:cool:

Good luck with the sale

wheelerd
12-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Uhhh....BTW...I'm over 55, I ski, board, tube, surf, have lots-o-speakers, 2 subs, 1000+ watts, play it loud, rock and roll, no country.......... I must be an old nobody.......:cool:

That's me! :D I'm 55 with two young boys. We do everything watersport-related. The boys are stoked that they are learning to ski -- something that none of their friends can do.

As for the TriStar itself, I have only good things to say about it. We enjoyed ours. At 32+ mph the wake was close to ProStar quality. I'm just a recreational skier anyway. Empty, the wake was great for beginner wakeboarding. Weighted, it was good intermediate quality. MC turned out many TriStar's between '87 and '91 -- many are still around and are a good option for people wanting an open bow MC at an affordable price.

As for the PO's mods . . . it's the same as with a car or a house or a . . . . if it's done well, good on ya. The reason we value our freedom is that we can do what we want when we want with our stuff. Selling price should always be a secondary consideration.

Slinkyredfoot
12-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Uhhh....BTW...I'm over 55, I ski,board, tube, surf, have lots-o-speakers, 2 subs, 1000+ watts, play it loud, rock and roll, no country.......... I must be an old nobody.......:cool:

Me toooooo, amen ;)

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
12-30-2011, 01:23 PM
j.mccreight I think this feller :rant: might have got'n a lil offended by your honesty...
:uglyhamme

Took this guy 5 months to reply, oh well it takes all kinds psycho...

And the real reason it wasn't a flip is because you couldn't sell it, oh and I saw it advertised on cl...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
12-30-2011, 01:44 PM
I hav had this boat for 2 years now and used it almost every othe weekend during boating season. It is absolutely NOT a flip. You dont know me. I still own the ski pilon, its just removed. all it takes is a hole saw and a wrench to install it.

I want a BIGGER BOAT, that is the only reason for selling.

Engine mods include a new igntion system. Coil, Dist, plugs, wires.

Seriously considering rebuild.

I wouldn't call that engine mods... What you stated is a tune-up oh and you said the engine need rebuilding hope you sell it and buy the bayliner you always wanted...

LaRue
12-30-2011, 01:55 PM

michiganTristar
05-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Im trying to locate the two inline fuses for the radio on a 89 Tristar, (radio just stopped working) without taking out every panel and following the wires. Do you remember where they were?

wheelerd
05-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Can't remember. How do you know there are two fuses? Typically fuses are near the device so I would remove the passenger side bulkhead cover first.

michiganTristar
05-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Can't remember. How do you know there are two fuses? Typically fuses are near the device so I would remove the passenger side bulkhead cover first.
I read in the manual that there were two, one for the memory wire and one for primary power, 3amp and 5 amp. I found them yesterday and they were right behind the radio and was what caused the radio to stop.

Patty
06-25-2014, 08:29 PM
what type of shape is the ski pole in