PDA

View Full Version : How's my wake?

JeromeM
07-06-2010, 07:40 PM
This is my first time with an Inboard and this weekend was the first time wakeboarding with my new to me 99 Prostar 205. The boat has a Roswell wake tower, I dinged up the stock 13x13 4 blade prop so I put on a OJ 13x11 3 blade just before our weekend started.

I just want to know how my wake looks and what I can do to change it/make it a better experience for me and my friends.

Here are some factors in this video:

-OJ 13x11 3 blade CNC prop
-160lbs buddy driving
-240lbs buddy sitting on floor behind him filming (makes a nicer/crisper wake on my heelside, can't jump toeside yet, lol but also when he site on the passenger seat the heel side wake isn't crisp at all)
-Armored Spectra line, 60ft long
-boat was running ~2300rpm which is ~20mph

I ain't a pro, learned to wakeboard last summer on my Seadoo boat with no tower or anything so this is a million times better so please don't mind my performance or my buddies comments :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e39OL8VJekw

**I will try and get a better vid, this one is really bad quality compared to when I watch it on my computer**

What are your thoughts? Should I be going faster, longer rope, more weight in the front, distribute the weight more all around?

Jerseydave
07-06-2010, 08:06 PM
I think your passengers side needs 3 females @ 125 lbs. each, lengthen rope to 65 and speed to 22mph. :)

(and take a wider, more progressive cut toward the wake.....don't turn and burn like on a slalom ski)

JeromeM
07-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Here's a few more vids of the wake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWXF_AvLVZY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TOccgHD_PA

sand2snow22
07-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Here's a few more vids of the wake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWXF_AvLVZY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TOccgHD_PA

Add weight to side with the white water. In this case, the port side of the boat. When I wakeboard, before I go, I always like to look at the platform and move people around until it looks level with the water. Once up, you can still move people around to get rid of the white water, so both wakes are clean.

JeromeM
07-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Cool, thanks.

How about the length of rope and speed, what do you use?

Davo
07-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Lookin good. The last video's wake jumps where you aren't cutting out so far but are edging harder were on the right track. I would balance the weight better and try some toeside jumps just like you are heelside. I have (4) 50lb bags of playsand that I wrapped in duct tape that I use to balance weight when I only have a driver.

Also, start riding switch stance right now. It's uncomfortable, but you'll thank me later as it will allow you to become a more well-rounded rider later on. You might try a tad faster on the boat speed (less drag) and you don't need to give it as much throttle out of the hole especially with other riders who are just learning. Rope length looks pretty good for now - you could shorten it up 5 feet and try clearing the wake heelside, but overall length looks good at that speed. Have fun.

JeromeM
07-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Hey there, I can ride switch pretty good and I can do small switch heelside jumps, still struggling toeside.

I'm working on 180's and switch 180's as well. I completely agree that learning the small stuff like riding switch is key, so is jumping toe side. I was watching a few vids and I think I got a couple good pointers. I'm also doing a wakeboard lesson in a couple weeks so that will help as well. And I did pick up from the vids I watched that I need to be more progressive and not just charge the wake, hopefully I'll remember all of that, lol

The bags of sand are a good Idea, I will try that I think.

Davo
07-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Right on - you're off to a great start. Where is GTA?

Ole Miss Rebels
07-07-2010, 04:04 PM
a few more thoughts. calibrate your speedos with a gps at 22 mph. get them dead on. balance the boat when the rider is up, at running speed (22 mph) and when the rider is riding dead center behind the boat. after both wakes are cleaned up with him in the middle, then no one can move until he is through riding. even if one side gets washy when the rider is on the opposite side do not move poeple over to clean up the wake. ballast your boat only moderately at first with 55% of the weight equally in the rear and 45% percent of the weight in the ski locker up front in the middle. never put all of your weight in the rear. it makes the wake too steep and it will curl over on you like a surf wave.

JeromeM
07-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Sweet, thanks for the tips!

GTA is the Greater Toronto Area (Canada).

I only have 1 speedo right now as I needed to install my stereo remote in place of the other one, which is a pain (I didn't realize it was SO huge and didn't want to cut a 3" hole in my boat yet) but I calibrated the one using a GPS so it should be pretty accurate. I will try running at 22mph this weekend.

I'm spending a few days in Tampa at the end of the month, I wish I could wakeboard when I'm there.

sand2snow22
07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Cool, thanks.

How about the length of rope and speed, what do you use?

20-23, I would keep the rope short until you can clear the wake. Then start extending the rope where you have a good clean wake on each side, but can still W2W.....

Jerseydave
07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
While you're in Tampa, go to McCormicks cable park!

http://www.skimccormick.com/

RiverMC197
07-07-2010, 06:06 PM
I have a 97 prostar 205 with a pretty similar hull. As you start progressing, adding any fat sacs really helps that wake because the boat is pretty narrow. I just bought an old plain 500 lb fat sac from a buddy and i was surprised at the difference. I did get a new tusnami pump and it is well worth the $100.

Also, I would agree with the other folks in recomending 21-22 mph. This is my 4th mastercraft and I've noticed the 205 has a wake that gets a little too soft under 20 mph. It seems to pop me a lot better at the faster speeds. The wake is also easier to clear once you start going longer than 60' of rope. It's no fun learning tricks when you crash into the middle of the wake!

JeromeM
07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Where do you put the fat sac in your boat? I was looking at the twin 350lbs sacs since it would be easier to shift weight around with 2, the other option is the single 540lbs.

My thinking is that the shorter the rope, the smaller of a wake I have to jump, but if you're saying that a longer rope will be easier to clear the wake I must be missing something?

So:
-Evenly distribute weight
-go a bit faster
-add fat sacs
-longer rope (60' right now, shortest length, mine goes to 75')
-progressively cut towards the wake
-"pop" with my heals rather then my toes

Can't wait for the weekend!

RiverMC197
07-07-2010, 11:20 PM
I just have the single 540 lb bag in the back. If you have the twin 350lb sacs, make sure you have them on either side of the motor, but to also slide them back far enough. With two 350 pounders, you don't need to worry about overloading the back.

I actually had a fat seat in my 2002 PS 197, which claimed to be over 1000 lbs. Now that was too much weight to be all in the back!

I've also done two 540 lb sacs, one on each side of the motor box. I thought that was the best setup, but its a big pain to move around the boat and open the engine box (although I think you have the 2-piece engine box on your 99).

I'd say that one 540 lb sac for the back or two 350 lb sacs on the sides would set you up well for a long time of skill progression. That should be plenty of weight to get you into some inverted tricks, spins, raleys (these tricks may not even be cool anymore, I learned them all around 2000). Plus, with two 350's, you can keep the back seat in and fill it up with people (hot girls or big guys) if needed.

When I was talking about the rope length and speed, i meant that it's easier to clear the wake when you are going faster. I meant that as you get better and lengthen the line, clearing the wake at 65' at 22 mph is easier than clearing it at 65' at 19 mph. The shorter the rope, the easier it is to clear the wake, I was just saying that faster speeds ALSO make it easier at any rope length. Sorry for the confusion!

Boat4fun1
02-21-2012, 04:51 PM
This is my first time with an Inboard and this weekend was the first time wakeboarding with my new to me 99 Prostar 205. The boat has a Roswell wake tower, I dinged up the stock 13x13 4 blade prop so I put on a OJ 13x11 3 blade just before our weekend started.

I just want to know how my wake looks and what I can do to change it/make it a better experience for me and my friends.

Here are some factors in this video:

-OJ 13x11 3 blade CNC prop
-160lbs buddy driving
-240lbs buddy sitting on floor behind him filming (makes a nicer/crisper wake on my heelside, can't jump toeside yet, lol but also when he site on the passenger seat the heel side wake isn't crisp at all)
-Armored Spectra line, 60ft long
-boat was running ~2300rpm which is ~20mph

I ain't a pro, learned to wakeboard last summer on my Seadoo boat with no tower or anything so this is a million times better so please don't mind my performance or my buddies comments :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e39OL8VJekw

**I will try and get a better vid, this one is really bad quality compared to when I watch it on my computer**

What are your thoughts? Should I be going faster, longer rope, more weight in the front, distribute the weight more all around?

Hey i have a 92 Pro star 205 that i run at 22.4 mph on gps with a 65 foot line, 900 lbs in the rear of the boat and 300 to 600 in the bow makes a great wake. The weight in the bow helps make the ramp longer and the weight in the rear makes the wake bigger. Looks like you are on the right track keep it up.

lettmeknow
02-21-2012, 05:03 PM
By now he's probably ALOT better, almost 2 years later!