PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump question

Double Overhead
07-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Today when I was taking the boat out for a test run I ran into some problems. After shutting down the boat, I opened the engine cover and there was a large amount of fuel spilled on the spark arrestor. I noticed that the clear secondary line from the fuel pump to the spark arrestor was dumping fuel into the carb and arrestor. Is this an indication of a bad fuel pump? I tried to start it again and it would not start, I think it was flooded. I waited about 20 minutes and was able to start it.

Once I get it started it runs great. When I shut it down it seems get flooded and has a hard time starting. The two problems seem to be the fuel in the line from the fuel pump and fuel dumping from the primary bowl of the carb after shutting the boat down. It made for a frustrating day at the lake.

Any suggestions would be great. Not sure on the carb but I think it is a 4160 . The boat is a 79 S&S.

FYI I just got a new electronic ignition upgrade, coil, distributor cap and rotor.

6ballsisall
07-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Welcome do the site Double!!

Replace the fuel pump now, don't run the boat anymore until you replace it! You don''t want a fire in that cool old 79' That secondary fuel line is a safety feature that is intended to dump fuel back into the carb if the diaphram ruptures in the fuel pump. In a car you just end up dumping fuel onto the ground. On a boat dumping fuel into the bilge is asking for a disaster. So....if your have fuel coming up that secondary line either you have a leak in the diaphram (which is probably the case since it still runs) or the pump is just plain dead. Replace the pump now with a MARINE pump and save yourself from being towed in off the water.

Double Overhead
07-02-2005, 01:36 AM
Ok ill replace it. I hope it will solve my problems. I was worried when I smelled all of those fumes so I made sure to let it air out. Im gonna get a new pump tomorrow.

This board has been great. I have learned a ton and dont feel like I need to haul my boat to the shop for every problem. Once I get it fixed Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks !!

Is it just a straight swap or is there anything I need to know when replacing it?

whitedog
07-02-2005, 08:33 AM
I agree with JRandal. It is the fuel pump. The swap is streight forward, remove the old pump preplace with new. You still have a mechanical pump on your engine. Be sure to air out the bildge very well, explosions are cool only if they are not on boats. Good luck and let us know how it turn out.

6ballsisall
07-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Double, it's an easy swap out really. Couple bolts, couple hose clamps, thats it! Very important that you use a Marine pump not a auto pump, there is a big difference. You can get the pump at Ski Dim

Cloaked
07-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Double............... You can get the pump at Ski Dim
Indeed good advice...
www.skidim.com

Double Overhead
07-02-2005, 02:34 PM
If I cant get the pump at my local marine store today I will definately go with SKIDIM. I used them for my ignition stuff and they were great. Hopefully I can get it going by next weekend. I might order a carb rebuild kit while im at.

6ballsisall
07-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Vince and Richard and the rest of the crew rock! If you are interested in a new Edelbrock marine carb instead of a rebuild kit let me know, I think I may have one for sale at a good price.

JEREMY79
07-02-2005, 04:59 PM
dam jeff, I wish I knew that.

6ballsisall
07-02-2005, 06:50 PM
dam jeff, I wish I knew that.

Sorry dude, I just ended up with another yesterday. I went back to find your carb thread but looks like you already bought.

JEREMY79
07-02-2005, 07:13 PM
already bought and installed.

Double Overhead
07-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Just an update. I just installed my new fuel pump and man what a difference. It fired right up and ran so smooth. My old pump must have been on the fritz for a while cause the boat has never ran and idled this smoooth for a long time.

If it keeps running this good im going to just hold onto that carb rebuild kit I bought until after the summer.

Thanks for the help fellas - see you on the water :headbang: