PDA

View Full Version : Help! Block Coolant Drain Plugs

jconover
07-06-2010, 01:26 AM
I was trying to pull the heads off my 454 tonight and i spent about an hour trying to pull out the block coolant drain plugs. they seem to be seized tight. One was a petcock, the other was just a solid (steel?) drain plug. The petcock had been busted off by the previous owner; it is brass; I spent an hour with a torch trying to heat the block and loosen it, no luck.

Has anyone ever had trouble getting these out? Any sagely words of advice? Is it safe to drill them out and sleeve the hole? i really want to avoid pulling the motor from the boat if possible, but I"m worried about introducing foreign metal particles into the cooling channels if I drill it.

Any advice is appreciated!

JimN
07-06-2010, 07:26 AM
I was trying to pull the heads off my 454 tonight and i spent about an hour trying to pull out the block coolant drain plugs. they seem to be seized tight. One was a petcock, the other was just a solid (steel?) drain plug. The petcock had been busted off by the previous owner; it is brass; I spent an hour with a torch trying to heat the block and loosen it, no luck.

Has anyone ever had trouble getting these out? Any sagely words of advice? Is it safe to drill them out and sleeve the hole? i really want to avoid pulling the motor from the boat if possible, but I"m worried about introducing foreign metal particles into the cooling channels if I drill it.

Any advice is appreciated!

If the particles fall into the bottom of the water jacket, they'll probably be flushed out if you drain it immediately after running it the first time after the head repairs.

Don't pound on it and don't use a torch on it- use PB Blaster and either Vice-Grips or Channel Lock pliers. Once it's out, you'll probably need to drill it out one size larger and tap it. Use a brass plug on both sides- NEVER cast iron or any other ferrous metal.

jconover
07-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks JimN - I already tried a torch (doh!) to heat the metal around the brass plug a bit, but honestly, given the amount of water in the block, I don't think it was really doing much anyways.

I've been hitting it with PB blaster all day and I'm going to get a set of damaged-bolt removers from Sears this afternoon and try again tonight . The Vise-Grips simply galled the existing plugs with no luck in pulling them out thus far.