PDA

View Full Version : Help.....

S&Sblue&white
07-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Hi I have a 82 s&s prostar haveing problems with keepingmy batt charged.I have had the alt tested and it pass the test but my battrey keeps on dieing on me I bought a new battery and still the same thing. When the battery Goes dead And I try 2 jump that boat it don't wanna jump it's just dead so I think it's in my igintion switch but I really don't know. Any answers kuz I'm stuck on this. Tx Dwayne

Skipper
07-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Start with a volt meter. Check to see if the battery has enough power to work even with a jump. If your alternator tested okay then the battery should be charging. There may be something else that is drawing more electricity than the alternator can produce to regulate the battery. Not too many accessories on the boat so it should be easy to check each set of wires to lights, bilge, blower, etc...

I keep my battery on a battery tender all year long. It keeps the battery at peak performance. That may help you a little, but it seems that you are losing power someplace.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Verify with a voltmeter that your alternator is charging while the boat is running (I assume you had the alt. tested out of the boat). You should see approx. 13.5 volts. With the engine shut off you should have approx. 12.5 volts.

If your alternator has an external voltage regulator that could be the problem.

If the charging system checks out, and by your description I suspect it will, you have something that is draining your battery while the engine is off. What electronics have you added to the boat? Is your blower or bilge pump on? Do you have kids that play in the boat?

S&Sblue&white
07-10-2010, 01:35 AM
I found out that it is the voltage regalator but now I have a problem I can't find one anywhere looked all day napa had one but I will have to wait 7 days and it's 150 bucks. Any where else I coud get one are any way I could bypass it are any sugestions? Tx Guys

ski_king
07-10-2010, 08:20 AM
If you havn't already check out Discount Inboard Marine, skidim.com. They specialize in older inboards, regardless of brand. Give them a call to verify your part, but from what I can tell, this should be what you need. (http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R098002) 77.13 plus shipping
http://skidim.com/images/RP098002.jpg

S&Sblue&white
07-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Nice I just put 1 on order tx ski king....will be on the lake real soon...(: