PDA

View Full Version : Prop blade broken

Transman
07-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Group,

I am a new member to Team Talk, but I have to admit I have read post here for several years. I recently upgraded from a Prostar 205 to a 2007 X2. We love the boat and run it primely in backwaters off of the Arkansas river. I owned a 'skinny 74 Ski Nautique before the Prostar, and have ran these 2 boats in this same area for well over 1,000 hours without ever having a damaged prop. Well with the new 'to us' X2 boat we lost a blade after only 15hours of running. We didn't see anything and the area we were in is deep and 'log free' or at least we think it is. It looks as if one blade just fell off. Absolutely no marks or damage to any other blade or to the rudder. So after my long introduction I have 3 questions. Is the design of the X2 with no fins in front of the prop shaft, asking for debris damage? Is a metal fatigue blade breaking off common-possible? Lastly, we do some one foot barefooting, but primely wakeboarding, and the boat had a 14.25 x 14.5 prop on it, so if I was to try to teak out an extra 1-2 miles per hour (currently it is topped out at 42) is there a prop that could be recommended that wouldn't loose the wakeboarding?

1redTA
07-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Welcome! Talk to OJ props, they helped me and had a very fast turn around

ncsone
07-05-2010, 10:52 AM
I had the same problem two summers ago. The prop may have been reworked by the previous owner and that may left it a little thin in the area where it broke.

Reach out to OJ props, either directly or here on the board and they should be able to get you going again.

Be happy knowing that the loose blade went away from the boat. I have heard of one instance where the blade separated and lodged itself in the fiberglass of the boat.

east tx skier
07-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Welcome. If you think you hit something, that may just be bad luck. But if you threw a blade, there may have been something amiss with the prop. Call Eric at OJ and he will get you what you need.

Transman
07-06-2010, 11:35 PM
I called OJ today and Eric answered the phone. After just a few minutes of talking to him, he explained that if a blade was missing the prop was not rebuild-able. Bummer, so I ordered and new one. After talking to Eric and looking at the prop really close the only damage to the prop is one blade is gone. It is broken off right at the hub the splines are in. Just logic tells me that the blade must have metal fatigued and broken by being defective rather than hitting something. Thee is no way you could hit something and knock one blade off without at least damaging some of the other blades. By the way the blade damage was while pulling a wakeboarder in a turn.

Sorry to ramble, but I wanted to thank East TX Skier, NCSone, and Eric for the help.

mccobmd
07-07-2010, 07:53 AM
I know what you're feeling. I've skied the same lake for 30 years. The first 20 with an I/O, last year making a turn in an area I've been in a long time. Hit something and bent my prop. I have the X1 with the metal fins if it makes you feel any better. Prop problems come with the territory but they still suck.

jdeml
07-05-2011, 11:32 PM
I did the exact same thing this weekend with my 04 xstar. Has me scratching my head as how to that had to of happened. Well off to ebay.

east tx skier
07-06-2011, 12:00 AM
I had a problem this weekend, but was not even on the boat for that awful feeling of hitting something. My wife high centered on a tracking fin and while getting off of whatever it was, bumped the prop pretty good. I guess there are worse things than hitting something. It's not hitting something and still ending up needing to fix the prop.

east tx skier
07-06-2011, 12:01 AM
I called OJ today and Eric answered the phone. After just a few minutes of talking to him, he explained that if a blade was missing the prop was not rebuild-able. Bummer, so I ordered and new one. After talking to Eric and looking at the prop really close the only damage to the prop is one blade is gone. It is broken off right at the hub the splines are in. Just logic tells me that the blade must have metal fatigued and broken by being defective rather than hitting something. Thee is no way you could hit something and knock one blade off without at least damaging some of the other blades. By the way the blade damage was while pulling a wakeboarder in a turn.

Sorry to ramble, but I wanted to thank East TX Skier, NCSone, and Eric for the help.

Sorry it happened. Hopefully, you got a good deal on that replacement prop.

Jerseydave
07-06-2011, 04:02 AM
OJ 14.75 X 15.5 will give you a little more top speed. It runs great on my X-star.

2RLAKE
07-06-2011, 06:08 AM
can you take a good quality picture of the fracture surface ... will be interesting to see if you can see the initiation site ... reworking a blade tip will not cause the blade to fracture near the hub

RMUDBUGS
07-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Any one have OJ's number. I hit a stump last week end and bent a blade. I must have traveled over it 100's of times but thesis is now 4 feet low. Thanks

east tx skier
07-06-2011, 10:30 PM
http://www.ojprops.com/contact_us