PDA

View Full Version : Tragic boating accident

Bert
07-05-2010, 01:05 AM
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Boat+crash+kills+Shuswap+Lake/3234866/story.html?tab=PHOT

jimmer2880
07-05-2010, 12:35 PM
very sad in deed.

We had a similiar accident about 15 years ago. Just after that, they imposed a 10mph speed limit after dusk. Before then, we always had guys going way too fast in the dark.

Hopefully, they'll do the same there.

Shredman
07-05-2010, 03:03 PM
very sad in deed.

We had a similiar accident about 15 years ago. Just after that, they imposed a 10mph speed limit after dusk. Before then, we always had guys going way too fast in the dark.

Hopefully, they'll do the same there.

We have the same issue on Old Hickory - day and night. The speedboats (I call them a**h*le boats) run 60+ miles an hour through heavy boat traffic. It's a wonder we don't get more accidents.

On another topic, I was out pulling my kids on a tube the other day and saw a half a dozen trialthaletes swimming right in front of me. I couldn't see them until I was right on them. They weren't even wearing bright swim caps. Fortunately, I was paying attention. It would have been really easy to not see them. I was really concerned for their safety.

jimmer2880
07-05-2010, 05:19 PM
.... On another topic, I was out pulling my kids on a tube the other day and saw a half a dozen trialthaletes swimming right in front of me. I couldn't see them until I was right on them. They weren't even wearing bright swim caps. Fortunately, I was paying attention. It would have been really easy to not see them. I was really concerned for their safety.

Funny you say this. 2 weekends ago, we invited a friend of ours, and his family (wife, 2 girls 1 boy and Dad). Wife and some of the kids were tri-athletes.

We had finished our ski sets and needed to remove the barefoot boom in prep for the surfing set. We were parked in the middle of the river and traffic was getting heavy. Next thing I know, the Dumb@ss wife had allowed some of the kids to swim back to the dock. We were about 200 yards from the dock (river width), and about 200 yards down-stream. Neither my wife nor I could believe it when we saw them and the wife gave us the dumb "I told them they could" answer. What on earth was she thinking. Both my wife & I reminder her just how busy the river traffic was, and just how little of the kids could be seen.

So - now, we are wasting valuable surf time idling next to these kids. :mad:

CantRepeat
07-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Funny you say this. 2 weekends ago, we invited a friend of ours, and his family (wife, 2 girls 1 boy and Dad). Wife and some of the kids were tri-athletes.

We had finished our ski sets and needed to remove the barefoot boom in prep for the surfing set. We were parked in the middle of the river and traffic was getting heavy. Next thing I know, the Dumb@ss wife had allowed some of the kids to swim back to the dock. We were about 200 yards from the dock (river width), and about 200 yards down-stream. Neither my wife nor I could believe it when we saw them and the wife gave us the dumb "I told them they could" answer. What on earth was she thinking. Both my wife & I reminder her just how busy the river traffic was, and just how little of the kids could be seen.

So - now, we are wasting valuable surf time idling next to these kids. :mad:

I hear you. First simple answer is no, let me run you back to the dock. The second simple answer is never again on the invite.

jimmer2880
07-05-2010, 07:45 PM
I hear you. First simple answer is no, let me run you back to the dock. The second simple answer is never again on the invite.

My wife & I have been trying to figure out how to invite our friend, without his wack-o wife and step-daughters (step-son was cool). :)

FrankSchwab
07-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Had one out here on Saturday:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/07/04/20100704boats-collide-lake-pleasant.html

There's a reason I don't hit the lake on holidays...

/frank

coz
07-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Had one out here on Saturday:
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/07/04/20100704boats-collide-lake-pleasant.html

There's a reason I don't hit the lake on holidays...

/frank

I hear ya. Here's a thread about it and looks like a big go fast boat hit the yamaha boat because he turned in front of him. http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34072

JohnnyB
07-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Haven't been out that way in 15 years....it was a zoo back then on most weekends. That parking lot in the thread looks like one I remember just outside of Lake Havasu City

Beautiful place on the weekdays

Bert
07-06-2010, 01:53 AM
The news so far is the houseboat had no nav lights. Rental houseboats are not allowed on this lake after dark but this was a privately owned boat.
Still no excuse for that kind of speed in the dark by the runabout and sounds like booze may have been a factor.