PDA

View Full Version : No Spark on 92 indmar 351

GuitsBoy
07-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi all,

My boat cut out on my brother today and after troubleshooting what we could, we had to get it towed back home. Boat is a 1992 prostar 205 with the 285 HP indmar 351.

We have a no spark condition. No spark coming from any plug wires, nor from the coil. The coil shows about 5 volts with the ignition on, and 4 volts while cranking, which seems low to me. Its electronic ignition, and I believe its a 12V coil. The positive side of the coil, as well as the ignition pickup, is powered from the exciter terminal on the back of the alternator. It seems to show just under 8 volts with the key on. Im not very familiar with what the nominal voltages should be on any of these components. My guess is that either the electronic ignition pickup is busted and not triggering spark, or perhaps more likely, the alternator / voltage regulator is dead. I lean towards the latter of the two due to voltages this low. Any suggestions on how I can try and salvage the rest of my fourth of july weekend?

Thanks so much!

CantRepeat
07-04-2010, 09:14 PM
The safety cutoff switch? Seems to be that 9/10 tims.

GuitsBoy
07-04-2010, 10:12 PM
The safety cutoff switch? Seems to be that 9/10 tims.
Sorry, but its hardwired. I know, tisk tisk, shame on me.

Also, I should mention that we had an old but working coil from last year that we swapped out, and no different, so i put the newer one back in.

GuitsBoy
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
The issue has been resolved. I tried hardwiring 12 volts to teh coil, and still no spark. Had the alternator checked out, and while the voltage seemed a bit low, it was still functioning. Last suspect part of the equation was the electronic ignition pickup in the distributor. Against all odds, the local marina had the pickup. It was for OMC motors with a prestolite distributor, but appears to be the same piece. We bought the part, installed it, and even with a nearly drained battery, the boat fired up on the first cranking.

CantRepeat
07-06-2010, 11:17 AM
The issue has been resolved. I tried hardwiring 12 volts to teh coil, and still no spark. Had the alternator checked out, and while the voltage seemed a bit low, it was still functioning. Last suspect part of the equation was the electronic ignition pickup in the distributor. Against all odds, the local marina had the pickup. It was for OMC motors with a prestolite distributor, but appears to be the same piece. We bought the part, installed it, and even with a nearly drained battery, the boat fired up on the first cranking.

Awesome! Glad you got to enjoy your weekend! :D