PDA

View Full Version : 88 Prostar 190 Fiberglass Work

jconover
07-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Starting a thread in the right forum for appearance/body work recommendations.

Just purchased this 88' PS190 with Indmar 454 and Powerslot. Has a few cosmetic dings and one small chip on the port side where i can see fiber mesh. See attached pictures.

Any recommendations on the best way to repair that chip below the waterline? Obviously want to keep the boat seaworthy, also want to have it look great :-) I plan to take it to someone -- btw I live near Green Bay, WI if anyone has good recommendations for this type of work.

Nose also got biffed at sometime in the past, and someone put a bandaid on. Plan to get that done, along with the chip in the back (someone must have backed it into something) at the same time.

helton333
07-02-2010, 04:46 PM
I took mine (89 PS) to a fiberglass pro - he was able to fix it, and airbrush in color to match the fade already there - can't tell their is a repair. This is not expensive to get done and that particularly on the corner, if you spent $300 to get it fixed you'd recoup every bit of it if you ever sold the boat - congrats on the 454 - rare.

Skipper
07-03-2010, 09:54 PM
For deep gouges, chips, etc. I recommend that you grind the area to the bare fiberglass. Create a bevel shaped gouge where the edges are at least 1/2 inch wide. Repair the glass if it is damaged by using epoxy resin and fiberglass mat. Sand the repair to the thickness where the gel cote should start. Then, tape around the repair and apply gelcote. Cover with a thick flexible plastic like a school report folder and tape it down. Once cured, wet sand with 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and then buff and polish.