PDA

View Full Version : Propeller Rotation Question

bfinley
07-01-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm putting a new prop on my boat tonight and I already took the old one off. When I'm standing on the ground behind the boat, does the prop rotate clockwise or counter clockwise??

Also, it is a 13x13 prop on a 1992 ProSport 205 with a 285 HP engine.

Thanks

MarkP
07-01-2005, 09:27 AM
I “think” it would be counter??

We do have left rotating and I think that would be looking toward the front..

dmac
07-01-2005, 10:01 AM
My V drive rotates counter clockwise. Prop went on to the shaft only one way which helped me figure it out.

starman205
07-01-2005, 11:12 AM
I have a 93 prostar 205 with the same engine. The prop for this engine should be a LH rotating prop. This means that when you are standing at the stern of the boat looking at the prop it will rotate counterclockwise with the engine running. :wavey:

AirJunky
07-01-2005, 11:25 AM
My V drive rotates counter clockwise. Prop went on to the shaft only one way which helped me figure it out.
True...... the prop shaft & the hole in middle of the prop will have a taper to it so that the prop will only go on one way.

Ric
07-01-2005, 12:03 PM
True...... the prop shaft & the hole in middle of the prop will have a taper to it so that the prop will only go on one way.
yep, only goes on one way on the taper. and your old prop will most likely have LH stamed in it and your new one should too or vise versa. basically put, they better look the same or you may have a prop that rotates differently than your original

6ballsisall
07-01-2005, 01:36 PM
I think ALL MC's are LH (standard) rotation aren't they? Did MC ever use a Right Hand Rotation Engine?

ski_king
07-01-2005, 01:43 PM
I think ALL MC's are LH (standard) rotation aren't they? Did MC ever use a Right Hand Rotation Engine?
As far as I know only on one of the engines of the twin engine X-80/280.

CC still uses RH.

Cloaked
07-01-2005, 02:44 PM
The hull VIN (or is it the engine ID number ??...LOL) is indicative of rotation direction. About the third or fourth over (I forget from recall) but look for an L or R. Most all MCs (as stated here) are left hand (CCW). Another tell-tale sign is the direction that the rear of the boats pulls when in reverse. LH rotation brings the rear to the driver side when backing. :friday:

dchatagnon
02-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Hi,

I just installed my new acme 13*12 on my ps190 year 93.
I know it's a LH and it runs counter clockwise wen you are seating in front of the shaft... but can you have a quick look on the picture and confirm if it's installed for the right rotation sense?
Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Damien

east tx skier
02-21-2006, 04:31 PM
When you're looking at it, you should be able to see the numbers on the hub. Looks right to me.

AirJunky
02-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Yep. It's right. Looking at it & imagining it spinning CCW, it would push the water backwards. Plus, if you managed to get it on despite the taper in the prop, it would have a horrible wobble in it.

Funny story about all this.... my brother bought an 88 PS 190. The boat had had the prop stolen so they had to buy a new one from the MC dealer & install it to take a test drive. He gets to the ramp and pushes the boat off the trailer, starts the boat & eases it into reverse...... the boat goes back up the trailer. Hmmm, so he pushes it back off the bunks, puts it in reverse & it goes back up the trailer again. So what the hell, he puts it in forward & the boat reverses down off the trailer. What the *$#(@#????

Long story short, when Indmar marinizes these engines, they build them so that they rotate the opposite way of a car engine. Come to find out, the original engine in this boat had a cracked block one winter & was replaced..... by a car engine. He ended up buying the boat & had to run CW props on it all the time. I would have thought it would have trans problems but the only issue he ever had was a shattered flex plate years later.

ski_king
02-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Long story short, when Indmar marinizes these engines, they build them so that they rotate the opposite way of a car engine.

Now I am confused, I thought only CC used the reverse rotation (right hand) and MasterCraft/Indmar (and about everybody else) uses left hand rotation which is the standard V8 rotation.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

AirJunky
02-21-2006, 04:56 PM
From what I've been told, the 351 rotates the opposite way in a car than it does in a boat. But frankly I've never checked.
BTW, there are several other who run right hand rotation too, MB Sports for one.

88 PS190
02-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Here's the question, was the tranny swapped over to run opposite? Because the velvet drive transmission can be run either way, so long as you set the fluid pressure to lock forwards gear w/ the gear selector in forwards and the correct prop.

If you do not reverse the pump etc in the trans then in forwards the pressure will be backwards and it will engage reverse which is only intended for low speeds. If the previous owner was running CW props, and the trans had been reversed, w/ the CW engine then trans would be fine.

Of course, the rudder is on one side of the prop, dunno if nautiques have it on the right since they are CW rotation.

CW boats make almost as much sense as CCW boats, CW w/o spotters the rotation helps balance the boat, but when you come to a skier it is harder to keep them on the drivers side, and get the boat to them.

east tx skier
02-21-2006, 05:21 PM
On the newer Correct Craft boats, the reverse rotation is accomplished by the transmission. The engine is LH rotation. Older CC boats (like say 1982) had RH rotation engines.

AirJunky
02-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Interesting points, 88. I don't know the answers though. And the boat has since been sold.
Looking back, I don't recall there being any real issues with the boat. Just like any other inboard, once your used to it's little details, they drive like their on rails.

martini
02-21-2006, 06:05 PM
I figured I throw my 2 cents in too. Correct Craft went to a LH engine in 89-90ish, with a new transmission that PCM (1:1.23) was selling with that engine, that reversed the final drive. So, looking at any CC from the rear, it will appear to be a "righty", when in fact the engine is a "lefty". The LH rotating engines are the same as a car/auto set up. As far as I have ever been told, worked on, seen, etc MC's are all "lefties", including the 351W. My CC is a true RH rotating engine with the tranny a Borg/Warner velvet direct drive. The transmissions that all of these boats came with, MC, CC, etc, can run in either direction with the simple change of the pump housing.

east tx skier
02-22-2006, 11:27 AM
That'd be a fun practical joke. Reverse someone's rotation in their MC (re-prop the boat of course). Hey, why's my boat backing to the port side?!?!?! :D

AirJunky
02-22-2006, 11:31 AM
April Fools is coming up! ;)