PDA

View Full Version : Help Please! Can't get old prop off...

x-swagger
07-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Hey everyone,
I finally got my new prop in from OJ and I'm psyched, however i cannot get the old one off for the life of me.
I have not tried a rubber mallet yet but have yanked the heck out of it, is the rubber mallet the trick???

Granite_33
07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Prop puller is the only way I have ever gotten mine or my neighbors off.

They are on there tighter than you think and no amount of hand pulling, etc, etc got it to move.

jdl xstar
07-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Get a foot long 2 x 4 and position it at the base of the prop as not to bend any thin areas and give it some good taps from a hammer. Works everytime for me.

oldairboater
07-02-2010, 03:01 PM
I reinstalled mine with a good antisieze on the shaft. Next time I removed it a good tap with the rubber mallet and it slid off. I liked to not have caught it. I believe in antisieze on things I need to remove. Use a puller, take your time, don't damage you boat or shaft removing an old prop. I personally might consider a brass hammer and a punch but the risk of damaging the boat goes up considerably. Puller is the safest and best route if done correctly. Wear eye protection.

x-swagger
07-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, however, i dont even know what a prop puller is???

Hrkdrivr
07-02-2010, 03:28 PM
one of many options... http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Boat_Propellers/Boat_Propeller_Pullers_and__Accessories/OJ_Inboard_Prop_Puller_Only/index.asp

Granite_33
07-02-2010, 03:31 PM
www.skidim.com

oldairboater
07-02-2010, 03:40 PM
An improperly used prop puller can damage your shaft. The proper way to use the tool has been discussed here before. If you don't know what a prop puller is ---I would assume you don't know how to use it correctly. Read up before using. Take your time. Daddy was right haste makes waste.

coz
07-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, however, i dont even know what a prop puller is???

If you don't have a puller (get one) you might be able to loosen the nut, not all the way, leaving some threads and heat the prop with a plumbers torch or a good heat gun, rotate the heat evenly without burning your boat or strut bushings. It will come off with force and pop off so thats why you need to leave some threads on the loose nut so it doesn't come flying off and hit you or the rudder and strip the shaft threads.

x-swagger
07-02-2010, 03:46 PM
damn.. the first time i changed on it was a breeze. anyone ever tried loosening the nut a little bit while it's in the water, hitting hard reverse and seeing if the reverse force can send it backward a little bit

ted shred
07-02-2010, 04:40 PM
2x4 And a hammer. My method for the last 25 years.

5280Hawk
07-02-2010, 04:48 PM
I tried one of those brass plug prop pullers that you screw onto the shaft and then strike with a mallet....didn't work.

So then I used a Brass drift Which is a 6" x 1/2" dia brass rod, set it against the front of the prop(bow facing), and hit it a few times and PING! it came right off. The nut caught the prop so it didn't hit the ground.

nitro5238
07-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Be sure to leave the prop nut on just a bit while you are pounding away on the prop or it just might fly off and then you will have even more things to worry about. Not too much..just enough to keep the nut on.

cadi1@charter.net
07-02-2010, 06:12 PM
I had a prop on a 91' Tristar we could not get off, called the m-craft dealer, they said put the prop puller on and tighten as much as possible and wack it it with a hammer, really had to pound on it and finally "BANG!" it popped off. Hated to pound so darn hard on it but no other choice and no damage done.

oldairboater
07-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Saw someone that spun a prop off in the water once. He told me that the carter key was bad so he left it off. We never found that prop. I don't think that play between the prop, shaft, and nut is a good thing ever.damn.. the first time i changed on it was a breeze. anyone ever tried loosening the nut a little bit while it's in the water, hitting hard reverse and seeing if the reverse force can send it backward a little bit

x-swagger
07-02-2010, 07:00 PM
2x4, 2 hits from a hammer, got the job done!! Left the nut on after uncrewing about 3 threads. On my way to the lake now, should have some good pics for the swimsuit thread on Tuesday, Thanks a bunch guys!

ahhudgins
07-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Three steps that have already been mentioned: 1) Invest in a prop puller, you will be glad you did. 2) Back the prop nut off a few threads to keep the prop from falling off. 3) When you install the new prop, use anti-seize on the shaft first.

Even with a prop puller, if your prop is stuck pretty good you may have to tap it with a hammer and a block of wood to help it off. Once the old prop is off and you use anti-seize, it will "pop" off with a few turns of the prop puller. My prop has been on for a year and I popped it off this week to clean it up. With the anti-seize there is no need for hammers, wood blocks or torches.

6gun
07-03-2010, 08:22 AM
PB Blaster is amazing stuff for stuck bolts/nuts and breaking stubborn stuff loose. Spray on and let it sit for an hour, properly used prop-puller and you should be good to go. I would hesitate to beat on it, but if all you have is a rubber mallet.... just don't hit it hard enough to do damage.

AZDave
07-03-2010, 01:26 PM
My first prop pull was not good. The puller I used did not allow for a bolt to hold prop in place, and I did not secure the prop with a tie down of some sort. I was lucky not to get hurt when that thing let go! I also got a pretty good cut on my thumb during another removal. Leather gloves are now mandatory when I get near a prop!

JohnE
07-04-2010, 09:03 AM
damn.. the first time i changed on it was a breeze. anyone ever tried loosening the nut a little bit while it's in the water, hitting hard reverse and seeing if the reverse force can send it backward a little bit

I've read a lot of prop threads here and never read that method before. All the answers and methods I've seen have already been mentioned. What's your aversion to a puller?

ssippiriverrat
08-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Get a foot long 2 x 4 and position it at the base of the prop as not to bend any thin areas and give it some good taps from a hammer. Works everytime for me.

im confused as to how to position the 2 X 4...in between the blades? does anyone have a pic or vid of this?
thanks

MariStar-Man
08-24-2011, 07:22 PM
My prop was on my Maristar for 12 years before I tried to remove it.

TMC#1 taought me to do it this way:

1. Tighten up the Prop Removal Tool while secured to Prop.

2. Loosen bolt while using a 2' x 4' x 24" sandwiched between prop blade and hull.

3. Loosen Bolt a couple of turns, but at least 3 threads so bolt won't fall off when Prop tries to shoot off.

4. Use heat all around prop hub equally.

5. Wait till she pops off. No banging necessarry

http://image.become.com/imageserver/s6/1035547826-150-150-5-32/bernzomatic-plumbers-torch-kit.jpg

Prop Removal Kit
http://www.bartswatersports.com/images/Product/largeimage-661.jpg
Link $149.00 (http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Boat_Propellers/Boat_Propeller_Pullers_and__Accessories/OJ_Prop_Removal_Tool_Kit/index.asp)

east tx skier
08-24-2011, 07:23 PM
2x4 is about 12"--14" long and is positioned vertically so that when your wrench transfers force to the nut (and the shaft) and the shaft turns because the nut is on there nice and tight and the prop, which is on the shaft, turns with it, that the blade edge comes to rest on the top of the 2x4, thereby keeping the prop and shaft from turning and allowing you to either tighten or loosen the nut.

Bert
08-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Geez, my prop has been on for twenty years. Wonder how hard it will be to get off when the time comes.

woobiedmd
08-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Wht's your trick? I've haven't had a prop on for more than two seasons! I have that special magnet installed that keeps finding stuff on the bottom! Now that I finally have a depth finder(wife's idea) maybe my luck will change! Prop puller definitely the way to go!

east tx skier
08-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Geez, my prop has been on for twenty years. Wonder how hard it will be to get off when the time comes.

Probably as difficult as it would be if it were on for two years. Just hit the hub with a heat gun for a few minutes if a puller alone doesn't get it. Leave that nut on and don't be too startled when that prop "BING!" pops off.

dfmaus
07-30-2012, 01:31 PM
PB blaster for one hour, two firm taps with rubber mallet, "BING!"

CCAnderson
07-30-2012, 02:03 PM
for a four blade prop

harbor freight bearing puller http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/bearing-separator-and-puller-set-93980.html

a lot of tension and heat. pretty sure the PO had not ever had the prop off the boat.

I'll get the prop puller when I get a ACME 541.

O2BESOHUGE
07-30-2012, 04:06 PM
A Little Heat And A Tap...butane Torch With Just A Tad Of Heat And It Slides Right Off. I Fought Mine For A Half A Day And A Friend Came Over And Put Heat On It And It Came Off Like Butter! (that Is If You Dont Have A Prop Puller Accessible)