PDA

View Full Version : Why is my belt squealing?

Herc59
07-02-2010, 01:27 PM
When I really nail the throttle my belt squeals for a short period of time, the belt has about 1/2 inch of play, that tight enough isn't it? Is there something I need to do with the pulley's?

oldairboater
07-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Belt's squeal for many reasons but unless the pulleys are out of alignment or show significant wear--- I would try a new belt or different brand of belt. Without seeing the belt I would guess belt is worn or surface hardened. Don't over tighten the belt. Loose is bad for the belt---overtightened is bad for bushings and bearings. Some manuals give different ways to check the tightness of a belt. Usually distance of deflection with force applied. Being old school--it is tight enough when I can only deflect it less then a 1/2 inch without too much grunt.

Herc59
07-02-2010, 02:07 PM
the belt looks okay to me, the pulleys look rusty dirty that kind of thing is there anything I need to do with them?

oldairboater
07-02-2010, 02:27 PM
My pro star has some surface rust on the chrome pulleys that I have sprayed a rust inhibitor on after cleaning them off. I didn't spray anything inside where the belt runs. My pro star has a new belt this year. Look at the handle and you will see that I am into airboats. The latest is a 425 +hp 454. I run duel v-belts on the latest. Belt change out is about every two years over stretch and wear with less then 50 hours run time per year. Belts are cheap when it comes to paddling, drifting, or being embarrassed by a tow. Being a country boy the belts will clean their surface area and that doesn't bother me unless it is real bad. You can clean and paint the outside of the pulleys to slow and hide rust---just make sure the pulleys are solid. A friend of mine had a double pulley on the harmonic balancer split and it threw both belts. He didn't catch his engine getting overheated quick enough and lost a engine.

JimN
07-02-2010, 02:36 PM
the belt looks okay to me, the pulleys look rusty dirty that kind of thing is there anything I need to do with them?

They squeak when they're not tight enough. If the pulleys are rusty or dirty, clean them and replace the belt. If the pulley is metal and pitted, replace that, too. Rough surfaces only kill belts.

BUSSTUFJ
07-03-2010, 08:00 AM
I had this same noise once and found a broken bolt on the alternator, when with initial inertia the alternator could move slightly. Check your hardware....

Splash
07-03-2010, 08:04 AM
does it squeal all day long or does it stop squealing after a couple of minutes┐?

Herc59
07-03-2010, 10:17 AM
It squeals for only a couple of seconds then quits

oldairboater
07-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Belt is squealing because somewhere it is sliding on a pulley. This can be just torque. Change the belt if it is worn or old. At least you will have the peace of mind that the odds of your belt failing and burning up your motor has gone down. At the very least go compare old belt to new belt and check size difference[measure--not eyeball]. Pulleys wear and belts wear. That changes tolerances..I work on lots of different things and I was raised that gas, oil, belts, and hoses are cheap when compared to the price of a engine. An engine running bad is a irritation--an engine overheating or seizing from lack of cooling or lubrication is a disaster to my wallet.

Splash
07-04-2010, 03:46 AM
It squeals for only a couple of seconds then quits

something similar happened to me. My mechanic says it's the battery. Try to charge it or try a newer one before spending money. At the beginning the alternator works a bit harder to charge the battery and the belt squeales. Once the battery is charged it stops.

wakesurfer
07-17-2010, 05:07 PM
today i had my belt squeal mid afternoon after a whole day on the lake, just like that it started?
then it stopped when I backed off the throtle, i smelled rubber burning , lifted the engine cover and smoke, so I ran the blowers and it went away, tried the thing again after a few minutes and it didnt happen again? what gives? help!

JimN
07-17-2010, 05:15 PM
today i had my belt squeal mid afternoon after a whole day on the lake, just like that it started?
then it stopped when I backed off the throtle, i smelled rubber burning , lifted the engine cover and smoke, so I ran the blowers and it went away, tried the thing again after a few minutes and it didnt happen again? what gives? help!

If yours has an idler pulley, check it to make sure it spins freely. Remove the belt and see if it wobbles. The one on my truck froze and it took out the belt because of the glazing.