PDA

View Full Version : Input seal leaking again

Crazybob
07-01-2010, 08:11 AM
On my '96 Prostar 205, I had the boat out on the lake the other day and lost all the fluid in my transmission very rapidly. It looks like the Hurth leaking from the input side as I can put my hand underneath where the engine and transmission meet and feel a lot of fluid. All the cooling hoses seem to be dry.

Now, the guy I bought the boat from said he replaced that seal about 7 months ago which makes me think there is something else going on.

I did talk to a place that rebuilds these and they suggested I at the least replace the seal and the pump. He said that when a pump fails or is failing a pressure differential can be created which will pop out a seal very quickly and lead to a rapid loss of fluid as opposed to a slower leak associated with an old failing seal. But to keep in mind that if the pump has failed, there may be other problems and strongly suggested I either rebuild or replace the transmission.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Probably gonna pull it apart just to get a good look at the seal in the next couple of days and go from there. :rolleyes:

Crazybob
07-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Maybe I asked the question wrong. Is it reasonable to just replace the seal and pump or if the pump is failing, should I just rebuild/replace and be done with it?
TIA