PDA

View Full Version : Support the "local" guy?

ccowell
06-30-2010, 10:07 PM
ok my 79 S&S over heated and I needed some new parts for it. Blew a hole in the exhaust tube and wanted to replace the trans cooler. (not a good situation) I call up the "local" guy who says that he can help me, told him what I needed and asked my mom to pick it up because she was near by. I looked at skidim and found out what it should be around as far as price is concerned so i thought assumed it couldn't be that far off. When my mom came back she told me that he charged me $200 for a USED trans cooler ($67 new skidim) and $25 ($10 skidim) a foot for exhaust tube I flipped. When I took the parts back and all he said when i asked him why it was so much and noted that i could get it online for a lot less was "well then do it, by the time you add shipping its going to be about the same price anyways" Last time I checked it didn't cost $170 for shipping for one part.

I am all about helping out the local guy but when I get bent over like this what should I do? It sucks that I cant count on the local guy anymore.

Oh a side note I have no idea why im running so hot. Timing is dead on, new thermostat (stock temp) lines are clear, new impeller, and the trans cooler is clear but im going to order a new one anyways.

damaged442
06-30-2010, 10:26 PM
I'd say the hell with the local guy in this situation and go with what will keep some $$$ in your pocket. I'd be one thing if he was installing or something, but bottom line is that you're paying for PARTS only. I'm not sure why you're running so hot. What temps are you running?

stuartmcnair
07-01-2010, 11:58 AM
before you order all the parts check to make sure all the hose clamps are tight. I had the same problem and it was the raw water intake hose where it clamped to the transmission cooler. A few turns of a socket wrench and all my overheating problems were gone.

Rockman
07-01-2010, 12:21 PM
I am all about supporting the local guy but I know that in order for them to make any profits, their prices have to be high to cover all their overhead, etc. That sucks!

In our village, I would love going to the downtown area with my wife and kids to just hang out and shop and also at night to have some dinner and a few cold ones but hate getting bent over on the prices.

My view on buying things...I don't care who has it, as long as it is what I am looking for (exactly), the people are nice and the price is fair, then I will buy it. Otherwise, I cannot see wasting money.

So many places online such as discount retailers, EBay and Craigslist have changed the way people shop these days that I almost always search the internet before shopping local.

Hey, the $170 profit is gonna pay his rent for the next month! :rolleyes:

Thrall
07-01-2010, 12:44 PM
As far as our boats are concerned, Skidim is the "local guy" IMO. I've had nothing but prompt shipping and good personal service from Vince.

Granite_33
07-01-2010, 01:47 PM
A "used" trans cooler usually means that he probably paid nothing for it. In fact someone probably paid him to take it out.

The other thing is that skidim has a nationwide customer base......
His customer base is probably a 50-75 mile radius around him....max.

Its usually in the dead of summer and when business is rockin when the people selling this stuff firm their prices up.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-01-2010, 02:10 PM
As far as our boats are concerned, Skidim is the "local guy" IMO. I've had nothing but prompt shipping and good personal service from Vince.

Don't forget Karen and Richard.

91prostar
07-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Skidim rocks, buy everything I can from them, they even took back some stuff I ordered but didnt need with no questions asked...rare customer service IMO

east tx skier
07-01-2010, 04:59 PM
My local guy will usually beat or match skidim's price. I like my local guy.

JohnE
07-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't lump all local guys into what happened in the op.

jraben8
07-01-2010, 05:38 PM
My local guy will usually beat or match skidim's price. I like my local guy.

I agree. Your local guy is really good.

ccowell
07-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I have only had good luck with skidim and from now on they are going to be my local guy, im not even going to look around. I should have known better. They always know what I need even when I don't. All I have to do is call up and tell them what boat I have and its on its way. Cant say enough about them.

Its the same with my dirt bike parts. Im just going to us this internet thing, I think that it might be catching on.

Maybe this "internet" isn't a fad after all haha

joecarew3
07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
It does suck when you get burned. IMHO I always will check with the local guy or guys for anything I might need. I do check online and see what some of the stuff I buy locally is going for. Nine times out of ten they are going to be a little higher in price. I understand that they have to make a profit. I would rather talk to a person than deal with emails back and forth, return policies, warranty claims, and whatnot. Not to mention, I always end up with more advice and knowledge when talking with someone in person. I live in a smaller town too though, try to keep them here so I dont have to order everything online.

oldairboater
07-02-2010, 04:21 PM
I check prices online then go to my local guy. Knowledge is always the way to go. I will pay more but I will not pay outrageous. I have several different toys and to keep them running requires shopping wisely.