PDA

View Full Version : Repower Options?

mausc
06-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Looks like I had a pretty catastrophic main seal failure that dropped my oil leading to zero oil press and likely significant damage. Its in the shop now being looked at but I'm digging around to evaluate options. Boat is an 01 Maristar 210 with the 310HP Vortec and 250 Hrs.

IF

.... it turns out the engine is seized or has a spun rod, what are my low-cost and high cost options? Is a basic rebuild of the existing motor the best option? Can I pick up a new automotive shortblock and add the marine came and accessories? Maybe a running low mileage truck motor, strip it down to the basic long block, and once again swap out the cam and accessories?

I'm hoping insurance might help with my situation but I'm not counting on it. Trying to figure how to not miss the season and not nail the credit card too bad.

Thoughts?

deployedjosh
06-29-2010, 02:26 AM
This is a topic I've considered in my worst-case bad luck scenarios. I can't provide much help for the low-cost option, but on the high end here's what I'd be looking to do:

Repower with the MCX with closed cooling. I've seen this on E-Bay with the V-Drive transmission for about $13k. I think the tranny represents about $2-3k of that price.

Michigan Motors and Great Lakes Skipper are two outfits that sell motors, etc.

I've also seen the 6.0 liter going for about $10k.

Again, these are the high end options and would only be realistic if the insurance was picking up the tab.

Another option would be picking up a used boat and harvesting the motor. I saw one of the ugliest wakeboats ever (a big Tige with a 375 horse motor) that was Green/Yellow/Red gelcoat going for <20k. It might be worth it to buy the boat, harvest the motor, then sell the hull and trailer for parts.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear that you're having to deal with this potentially devastating financial event. Good luck.

87MCProstar
06-29-2010, 02:41 AM
if it was just a spun bearing and the block is solid, you could rebuild it very stoutly and get the same power as in the 6.0 liter for about half the $$$. the question isn't as important as is the one of how much power or faster do you want the boat to go, and how much are you willing to spend. you are starting with a great motor to begin with 310hp vortec so i don't think it would take much to see 350-375hp for ~4g's. and thats with someone building it for you.

dummy
06-29-2010, 02:45 AM
Here's your long block: http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/GM-Performance/Product-Line/GM-Performance-350-C-I-D-L31-R-Long-Block-Assemblies/?autoview=SKU

Not sure which cam your runs, but once you find the specs on it you can compare it with the L31 cam that comes with the long-block. If it's much different you should swap it out for the same grind you're running.

Swap over your accessories, exhaust, intake, and injeciton and you could be back on the water for about $3K, give or take.

nitro5238
06-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Check out Rapido marine website...thier prices look pretty good and I have heard good things about them...although I cannot speak for them personnally. For example thier 351w marine long blocks are only $1400 dollars with heads included. Then all you have to do is swap over your outermost engine parts and re-install.

mausc
08-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Sorry for the late response. Motor is pulled and it looks like the oil pan is rusted out. Still battling with insurance to see if I get any coverage at all. They did at least pay to have the engine removed for inspection. I'll take that at least.

Spent some time looking at the L31 Vortec truck long block. That seems to be the best deal. GM does state:

"This engine is not designed, nor intended to be used in any marine applications. "

Not sure what to make about that. As far as I can tell this is the same engine as I have save for cam and external accessories. I'm also trying to find the cam specs for the marine application to see how the differ from the truck cam. If I can find a part number I'll probably order one and install it so at least all engine internals will be zero hours.