PDA

View Full Version : stalling issue's 1982 prostar

inigma701
06-28-2010, 10:26 AM
I'd first like to thank all on the site for their input, resources and knowledge. I have been servicing and maintaining my boat for the last 4 years with great success thanks to all of you.

I've never posted before but now seems like a great time. I have an 1982 prostar w/351. This problem started at the end of the season last year right before winterizing, after getting on it one afternoon(the throttle) and coming back down the boat started to idle very rough and seem to starve for gas until it would stall out. few pumps of the throttle and she fires right back up. Runs like a dream from 1100 rpms or so on up whether in neutral or trans engaged. low speed idle and she will really choke up and stall out. I winterized the boat before having a chance to really trouble shoot the problem. Pulled the boat out this year and prepped her for the season not even thinking of the prior years issue and put her in. Ran like a dream until yesterday(4 weeks of 3-4 hours of use during the week) same exact scenario got on it good and after coming back down she started exhibiting the same symptoms. I'm going to start with what would seem like the most common issues, drain tank flush for debris(had the tank out last year at one point and its possible some debris might have gotten in) fuel filter/water separator, filter on inlet side of fuel pump(if there is on) and pull the carb making sure there is no blockage in the low speed idle circuit(if that's what its called) check for vacuum leeks or collapsed lines(vacuum or gas) is there anything else I should look for or test? any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated. once again thanks so much for the years of insight.. its been invaluable...

thatsmrmastercraft
06-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Welcome to Team Talk. Looks like you are on the right track. I would save pulling the carb for last as this really sounds like a junk in the fuel tank issue. Any chance that the fuel level was low while the problems were occurring?

And some boat pictures always go a long way.

inigma701
06-28-2010, 10:45 AM
tank was more than half full... I'm more then reluctant to posting pics as I'm a wakeboarder and yes I have done the unthinkable, installed an aerial assault tower on it.. i know blasphemy!!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-28-2010, 11:05 AM
You could have gotten some bad gas too. Dumping in a bottle of heet might help. That or pumping out the gas and refilling.

I understand your reluctance. But good or bad, this forum loves pictures.

inigma701
06-28-2010, 12:40 PM
just a thought though if it were a filter issue or a clogged screen wouldn't it likely happen when accelerating due to the carb trying to pull more gas and not at an idle?

thatsmrmastercraft
06-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Won't happen on the hole shot unless there is insufficient fuel in the carb. Clogged flow could cause that, but more likely to see the hesitation once the gas in the primary fuel bowl is used up.

ski_king
06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Remove the tower and I am sure it will run (or at least look) much better! :D

or try giving skidim a call, they have seen it all on these older boats and I bet they have a good guess as to what the problem may be.

inigma701
06-28-2010, 01:23 PM
lol.. thanks guys, much appreciated....