PDA

View Full Version : 1994 prostar throttle

jjr
06-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I just purchased a 1994 prostar and already in love with this boat . I have one concern seems throttle is very soft and want to always back down at any point other than full. Was wondering if there is any type of adjustment to tighten this area up ? Any help would be appreciated.

jimmer2880
06-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I just purchased a 1994 prostar and already in love with this boat . I have one concern seems throttle is very soft and want to always back down at any point other than full. Was wondering if there is any type of adjustment to tighten this area up ? Any help would be appreciated.

I've heard of people buying a clamp to put on their linkages, or using lighter-weight springs.

HOWEVER, I like mine like that, and wouldn't want it any other way. Because boats don't have brakes, you never want to let go of the throttle. Having the throttle return to neutral, adds a requirement that my hand lever leaves it, while only requiring my thumb & 1st finger to lightly touch it to keep the skier/boarder's speed constant.

jjr
06-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks so its probably a normal condition ?

Double D
06-28-2010, 02:46 PM
I have the same boat, and as you can see from the attached thread I have the same problem.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11536

My situation is that once the Perfect Pass beeps saying its at speed I let go of the throttle and it kicks off. I have to get it down parallel to the floor for it to stay.

I sent the email to Perfect Pass for their suggestions and they said to squeeze the cable with pliers to add more friction to the line and it will stay in place.

To date, I have not done it.

rspiecha
06-28-2010, 03:02 PM
My 1994 Prostar 205 did the same thing. You have to keep your right hand on the throttle and the left hand on the steering wheel. Now my 210VRS is the complete opposite, I could get up and sit in the bow if I wanted to:)

Rob

jjr
06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the info not sure I like the plier solution as it may be just a temp fix. I looked at the return spring on the engine and it's a coil type and may be a bit challenging to get some tension relief but worth a try. My first inboard and still learning but am more than happy with its performance compared to my many I/O's

OHIOPRO205
06-28-2010, 04:27 PM
I also have a 94 Prostar 205 and it is the same way. I am with Jimmer2880 I like it that way. With a hand on the throttle you are always ready if something happens. I would not worry about it. You will get used to it.

chevy08bud
06-28-2010, 04:44 PM
I have a 94 and had the same issue. When I added perfect pass, it would not work correctly because of this. I talked to PP and they said to use a cable clamp. I did. I installed it right by the throttle so that it was easy to get to, and it has worked great for 3 years now. I like being able to take my hand off the throttle if I need to and not stop the boat to do so. If I need to stop, I know where the throttle is.

jjr
06-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Where does the clamp mount and on what . Does it squeeze the outer part to give it restriction ?

Jorski
06-29-2010, 04:21 PM
You may not want it that way, but that is how it was set-up.

The idea was that you had to keep positive pressure to control speed accurately. Remember this was before perfect pass, and drivers would regularly feather the throttle in response to skier's pulls in the course in order to provide legal times.

If it is interfearing with your PP set-up, I would change it by removing the spring.

It is the same idea as loading the rudder for the steering.

BIGBADBLUE
06-29-2010, 04:35 PM
I have a '94 as well and you will get used to it. Give it a couple weeks and if it is still bothering you then you can either stretch it or remove the spring.

I would have it no other way ... but it does take some time getting used to it

east tx skier
06-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Just give the spring a good stretch or replace with a less tense spring (you can get a variety pack at your local auto parts store). The one on my 93 was practically a brake spring and it just doesn't play well with perfect pass.

Double D
06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Just give the spring a good stretch or replace with a less tense spring (you can get a variety pack at your local auto parts store). The one on my 93 was practically a brake spring and it just doesn't play well with perfect pass.

Which spring did you change out? By the carb?

east tx skier
06-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Which spring did you change out? By the carb?

On the 94, it's on the starboard side of the engine. On the 93 and older carb boats, it's on the port side beneath the carb hooked up to the throttle plate on the carb.

You can't see it in this picture. But that's about where it is on the 93.

Double D
06-29-2010, 08:31 PM
On the 94, it's on the starboard side of the engine. On the 93 and older carb boats, it's on the port side beneath the carb hooked up to the throttle plate on the carb.

You can't see it in this picture. But that's about where it is on the 93.

Thanks for the pic. I will check it out. Just a looser spring??

Jerseydave
06-29-2010, 10:03 PM
When I had my '94 with the LT1 engine my dealer installed a small clamp on the cable to slightly pinch the outer cable housing. Worked great for years.

jjr
06-30-2010, 09:43 AM
I think the clamp is the best option. With 94 EFI the return spring is coil type not easily stretched. Did talk with dealer and they recommended clamps somtimes up to 3 to spead the pressure more evenly so you dont damage the cable. This is done slowly while trying it.

east tx skier
06-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the pic. I will check it out. Just a looser spring??

Yes, or stretch the one that's on there. Get the variety pack at the auto parts store and mix and match until you find one that works.

pricelss
07-11-2010, 11:13 PM
I have just purchased a 1994 205 also and love the boat except for the fact that the throttle won't stay where I put it. It always wants to try to return to neutral. There is a knob just in front of the throttle lever. Would this be a tension adjustment? Just checking.

BIGBADBLUE
07-11-2010, 11:16 PM
No ... like others have said you need to either stretch the spring or replace it. The best option is just drive with it and you will love the way to feels after some time.

Double D
07-11-2010, 11:24 PM
I have just purchased a 1994 205 also and love the boat except for the fact that the throttle won't stay where I put it. It always wants to try to return to neutral. There is a knob just in front of the throttle lever. Would this be a tension adjustment? Just checking.

No, if you pull that knob out it puts it in neutral so you can throttle the engine and the prop wont turn. :rolleyes:

east tx skier
07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Some morse throttles have a tension adjustment on the back side of the plate that holds the throttle arm. My 93 did not, however. Worth a look.

pricelss
07-12-2010, 01:22 PM
I recently bought the same boat (love it) and it does exactly the same thing - throttle wants to return to neutral if letting go of it. You mention that the throttle spring could be removed and this would be a fix? Is there any down side to this?

Thanks for your help.

Ski-me
07-12-2010, 01:40 PM
On my 94' LT1 I used a "U-clamp" to put some tension on the cable to create some friction. It works great and now my throttle stays put without holding the throttle constantly.