PDA

View Full Version : Bad breaker?

Spence
06-28-2010, 12:01 AM
1990 Tristar, my nav lights on bow and stern dont work...the actual switch works and lights up the dash, but neither bow or stern light will come one...bad breaker?...thanks for any insight!!

blackcreek
06-28-2010, 05:58 AM
The switch is after the breaker, if it lights up you are getting power. I would suspect bad wiring or corrosion at the bulb sockets.

Matt L.
06-28-2010, 08:51 AM
The switch is after the breaker, if it lights up you are getting power. I would suspect bad wiring or corrosion at the bulb sockets.

Ditto:

Been there with my 1990 MC, scrubbed that junk off and bingo lights again! In that era it appears that MC ran common automotive thick strand copper, not thin strand tinned copper marine grade wire.

You may want to look around and do some proactive corrosion cleaning/prevention. I ended up re-wiring everything from the batts to the distributor due to corrosion. Went from 7.5V at the coil to 13.5+ at the coil. Used all marine grade wire, connectors, self sealing shrink tube, crimped and sodered every terminal. WWW.genuinedealz.com has the best deals on marine grade wire and components. Top of the line stuff and they ship really fast with way cheap prices!

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

Mechanically clean, then use the deoxidizer/cleaner at he above link, then the gold conditioner. A bit pricy, but I hate doing stuff twice! My labor rate is much higher!

When I see really heavy corrosion I use battery terminal cleaner first, then the Deoxit stuff.

Good luck! 1990 MCs take a fair amount of TLC to keep them on the water!

Matt