PDA

View Full Version : How does water get in my tranny?

Herc59
06-27-2010, 11:33 PM
When I attempted to take my boat out for the first time I noted that the tranny oil was pink, so I pumped out the oil, added new stuff and went boating. When I checked the oil it was not only pink but frothy. So I searched TT and found similar threads. I removed my tranny cooling core and hope to get it test tomorrow. I have two questions: 1 is it normal for the intake side of the core to have sea weed in it? 2 is there any other way to get water in the tranny besides the cooling core, if not should I just replace it a forget the pressure test.

airdrew99
06-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Herc59,
What year, model, and engine do you have? I'm pretty sure that the only water anywhere near the tranny is the water in the tranny cooler. There is nothing else that has water going to it on the transmission.

Drew

Herc59
06-28-2010, 12:39 AM
1991 Tristar 190 with a Ford 351.

airdrew99
06-28-2010, 12:43 AM
I would look at replacing the cooler.

FrankSchwab
06-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Yes, it's normal to have weeds and crap in the transmission cooler. However, having them there is a big problem - you'll have to learn how often you need to open it up and clean it out.

Yeah, several ways to get water in the transmission. The transmission cooler is pretty common. Having too much water in the bilge is another - water can leak through the seals, or through the vent on top of the transmission.

Sucking the oil out of the transmission once probably isn't good enough to get rid of the water - you may want to do it two or three times once you find the leak.

/frank

Herc59
06-28-2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks Frank, I will change out the cooler tomorrow then flush the tranny a couple of times.

oldairboater
06-28-2010, 03:23 AM
Previous owner of my boat had a bilge pump problem and water go into my transmission through the vent. I have changed the fluid twice but still get some off color condensate at the top of the dipstick. I figure it will take a couple more oil changes to get all of the moisture out.

91prostar
06-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Herc59
I have the same boat same year with the same problem, replaced the cooler and it is all good now.

JMann
07-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I have a 1991 PS 190 and check my transmission fluid yesterday. It was a little pink maybe not red but it hasn't been run in a couple weeks.
How do you know if there is water in the transmission fluild with running it?

What side of the transmission is the cooler on? I will look at that tonight for sea weed.

nitro5238
07-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Ditto on the cooler

Herc59
07-02-2010, 11:54 AM
I took the cooler out on monday had it tested on tuesday, it tested fine, held pressure at 90PSI. So as someone had suggested I sucked out the oil added new ran the boat for 10 min, sucked out the oil refilled it. Then on Wednesday we went boating when I checked the oil it was minutely pink. I hope that one flush will do it. I still don't know how the water got in the tranny. Just prior to purchasing the boat we had a ton of rain, I don't think the owner had the boat covered, when I picked it up it was pouring again, I removed the drain plug, there was a lot of water in the hull, maybe thats how the water got in?

boyd
07-02-2010, 12:35 PM
You will probablly have to change it 3 x. It only takes a small ammount of water to make red go to the color pink. You still have fluid in the lines etc....

If you do have a seal leak it's probably minimal. Keep the builge very dry. If you have to, change the transmission fluid every other time you go out and wait till the winter to change the seal. Unless you have a free day to do it.

There is a very good thread on here someone did. It shows changing out that seal.

I did mine. It takes 2 people and about 4-6 hours.

Don't let it mess up your 4th. Change the fluid and go have fun !!!!!!

03 35th Anniversary
07-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Just lost the trans cooler in my 2003 197.

Cuts this 4th of July weekend short on the boat! We got a couple of good hours on the water!!!

JMann
07-02-2010, 04:12 PM
03 that is a bummer. Maybe you can pick one up locally.
For about $70 I just bought a new one from skidim. I will put in in next week replace the fluid and be ready for next weekend. It's to crowded on the holiday weekends anyway (maybe it's I'm getting to old) who knows?

03 35th Anniversary
07-03-2010, 12:25 AM
03 that is a bummer. Maybe you can pick one up locally.
For about $70 I just bought a new one from skidim. I will put in in next week replace the fluid and be ready for next weekend. It's to crowded on the holiday weekends anyway (maybe it's I'm getting to old) who knows?

Texas MasterCraft had one for the LY6, but the fittings where the hoses hookup are different and I'd have needed 4 handy dandy A-Dapters! So on short notice and all the rain were having here this weekend! I called it quits!!!!