PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Sportstar 19 High Idle

meriksen
06-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I own a 1998 Sportstar 19. I bought it new. It has the Chevy 305 with TBI 265 hp engine. It has been a great boat and has about 490 hours on it. Have taken great care of it and all that kind of thing and is all original. No modifications to the engine. Last night after a moderate day of use and sitting and watching fireworks for a while when starting up, the idle stayed at about 1400-1500 rpm and wouuld not come down. Again all original even original alternator and belt. Have not done anything yet but alternator belt is pretty loose. Any ideas before I dig in?

Thanks,

Mike

meriksen
06-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Ok all. It was dark and late last night. So after opening it up this morning, a bolt from the alternator bracket had woked its way out. So it sounds like from reading some older threads that maybe there wasn't enough system voltage. I do not know why that affects the idle. But we found the bolt, put it in and fired up the boat and idle was normal after the initial 1100 rpm or so for 30 seconds. Hopefully someone who knows the system can add some insight.

Thanks,

Mike

JimN
06-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Please delete this.

JimN
06-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Ok all. It was dark and late last night. So after opening it up this morning, a bolt from the alternator bracket had woked its way out. So it sounds like from reading some older threads that maybe there wasn't enough system voltage. I do not know why that affects the idle. But we found the bolt, put it in and fired up the boat and idle was normal after the initial 1100 rpm or so for 30 seconds. Hopefully someone who knows the system can add some insight.

Thanks,

Mike

Remove the throttle cable from the throttle body. If it starts normally and settles to 650 RPM, the cable it binding, the shift pawl is loose or some other physical problem exists. The alternator belt should have no bearing on the idle speed unless the voltage drops significantly. If the cable isn't the cause, look into the IAC as a possiblity. Also, if you only have one belt, the raw water pump wasn't doing much when it was loose, so that may have had some affect.