PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy rear upper bench upholstery (complete)

spooln7
06-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi, I have a 1996 Prostar 205 and lost the rear upper upholstery bench thing that sits right over the fuel tank. I'm not sure what to call it but it is held on by 3 nuts on the underside of the fiberglass over the fuel tank. I attached a picture if that helps. Does anyone know where i can buy a new one?
thanks,
Craig

supturb89
09-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Your local upholstery shop should easily be able to fab that for you.

jimmer2880
09-21-2010, 09:07 PM
I need that piece as well for my '95 PS190. If you find factory skins, pls let me know.

dmminfla
09-21-2010, 10:05 PM
I had mine re-covered. I think it came out close to original.

coz
09-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Quickest way is DIY.

supturb89
09-22-2010, 10:34 AM
coz,

Did you use marine grade plywood? Did you glass it?

JimN
09-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Hi, I have a 1996 Prostar 205 and lost the rear upper upholstery bench thing that sits right over the fuel tank. I'm not sure what to call it but it is held on by 3 nuts on the underside of the fiberglass over the fuel tank. I attached a picture if that helps. Does anyone know where i can buy a new one?
thanks,
Craig

The panel may have had plastic retainers that push into a hole in the fiberglass, then the threaded stud has a nylock nut and washer below. If the stud was threaded into a T-nut, it may have backed out, which means red thread lock should be used this time. I wouldn't use anything like that on the nut, in case it needs to come out. You would want to use T-nuts that can be screwed into the panel, so they don't push out of the hole. An alternative is to use a threaded insert, but if the wood rots, that will basically fall out. The panel can be fabbed up by a good upholstery shop.

mayo93prostar
09-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Coz, Why did you have to replace yours? Did you shave the foam down on an angle along the back? I am curious. It looks like a nice job.

Spooln, you would be hard pressed to find a replacement from a dealer or other shop. I agree with others here that you and/or an upholstery shop will have to build it.

coz
09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
coz,

Did you use marine grade plywood? Did you glass it?

Coz, Why did you have to replace yours? Did you shave the foam down on an angle along the back? I am curious. It looks like a nice job.

Spooln, you would be hard pressed to find a replacement from a dealer or other shop. I agree with others here that you and/or an upholstery shop will have to build it.

I used regular ply and I didn't glass it but I did polyurethane the heck out of it. The reason I had to replace it was because I lost it on the freeway somewhere between Phoenix and the colorado river :mad: and no I didn't shave it, my neighbor (upholstery guy) wraped just like you see it. He did say the next time I do one (hope never again) to leave about a 1/2" over hang of foam all the way around before wraping it.

rslong50
10-21-2010, 12:45 AM
The panel may have had plastic retainers that push into a hole in the fiberglass, then the threaded stud has a nylock nut and washer below. If the stud was threaded into a T-nut, it may have backed out, which means red thread lock should be used this time. I wouldn't use anything like that on the nut, in case it needs to come out. You would want to use T-nuts that can be screwed into the panel, so they don't push out of the hole. An alternative is to use a threaded insert, but if the wood rots, that will basically fall out. The panel can be fabbed up by a good upholstery shop.

So my sundeck flew off somewhere between San Fran and Sacramento. I just realized that one of the plastic retainers on the boat is sheared off and it took some fiberglass with it. Are these nuts/retainers vital to keeping the sundeck in place or is there an alternative route I can take? Thanks for your input.