PDA

View Full Version : Bimini top question

mjb100798
06-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Hey guys, havent seen this question posted and not sure this is the right place, i apologize now if it is. Just wondering why bimini tops have to sit so high on the boat, I currently have an 89 prostar 190 and would rather have the top sit only a few inches above the top of the window frame, is this possible or is there a reason that all of the ones i see sit about a foot above the top of the windshield? Why cant some sort of bracket be made to hook onto the top windshield screws, will it put too much strain on the frame of the windshield? If anyone has a pic of a lower profile bimini top could you please post it and explain what you did to modify it?

Thanks, Jay

oldairboater
06-24-2010, 11:34 AM
First things first. I do not want anything mounted to my windshield. Too many horror stories about breaking glass and frames. Try replacing the glass in your boat. Expensive and a pain. My mounting brackets are on the hull. You can mount your top at whatever height you wish wherever you want. I think the tops mounted near the glass in height look sporty but I don't like bending over to walk from the drivers seat back. My top is taller. I had another boat with a low top and it was a pain sometimes--my head was always in the top or the frame.

east tx skier
06-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Heed oldairboater's warning and either mount it to the hull or be as careful as possible when mounting anything to the frame. Can it be done? Yes. Can you screw it up? Certainly. Does it look awesome when done right? You be the judge.

coz
06-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey guys, havent seen this question posted and not sure this is the right place, i apologize now if it is. Just wondering why bimini tops have to sit so high on the boat, I currently have an 89 prostar 190 and would rather have the top sit only a few inches above the top of the window frame, is this possible or is there a reason that all of the ones i see sit about a foot above the top of the windshield? Why cant some sort of bracket be made to hook onto the top windshield screws, will it put too much strain on the frame of the windshield? If anyone has a pic of a lower profile bimini top could you please post it and explain what you did to modify it?

Thanks, Jay

If you go a couple inches above the windshield you'll be bonking your head every time you moved. I lowered mine but left room to still move around. Sounds like you're looking for a convertable top that snaps to the windshield like bayliners :confused:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/060-2.jpg

east tx skier
06-24-2010, 11:56 AM
If you go a couple inches above the windshield you'll be bonking your head every time you moved. I lowered mine but left room to still move around. Sounds like you're looking for a convertable top that snaps to the windshield like bayliners :confused:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/060-2.jpg

I agree. Go a little higher than a few inches above windshield level. You'll still have to stoop down to move around under it, but even a little higher, it will do well for late afternoon shade and running at ski speeds.

ntidsl
06-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Coz, I'm getting sick and tired of all your pictures with the blue sky and clear water and....just stop it now!!!

Willski
06-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I put mine a little higher than I wanted, but it does make it easier to get in and out of the driver seat. And, on an 84 like mine, the floor to gunwale height is so low.

coz
06-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Coz, I'm getting sick and tired of all your pictures with the blue sky and clear water and....just stop it now!!!

Sorry man! that darn sun's out everytime I take a pic :confused: they say we get 300 days of sunshine a year.....plenty for everyone...c'mon out, we have 112 degrees on tap for today :D

mjb100798
06-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all the pics guys, didnt really think the mounting to the frame part through to well, really dont want to be replacing any parts there, to hard to find and to expensive...but i do like the sporty look of the lower ones...but seeing how im 6ft 1 probably not the best move...will keep tinkering with the idea till i figure it out...

Jay

oldairboater
06-24-2010, 04:17 PM
I don't have a good picture of mine. My top was 54 inch's tall and I lowered it to 44 inch's. My mount isabout 4-6 inches below bottom windshield frame. I am 6' tall and have to just duck my head to move around. I had a boat with a bimini top that was snapped to the windshield on top and then bowed up and back. Looked cool---was hot. Everytime I moved I hit my head.

mjb100798
06-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Ok, starting to like the look of the top and the pole...had a good weekend minus the bilge pump not working... thanks for all the input fellas

DBBOOM
07-06-2010, 11:54 PM
I like mine high, easier access to the open bow. I'm 6' and it got to be a pain crouching down to go through the walk-thru. Note the Marine Police in the back ground, they pulled up after this pic and checked out the boat, lol.

east tx skier
07-07-2010, 12:04 AM
One issue with going too high is that you don't get a lot of shade when the sun sits a little lower on the horizon than high noon.