PDA

View Full Version : impeller

Norcal420
06-23-2010, 07:43 PM
what is the best tool to use to pull and replace the impeller thanks

flipper
06-23-2010, 07:48 PM
search around, there are a million ways to do it. Soapy water, wd40, paint can opener, they make a puller for it.....

cf_koch
06-24-2010, 07:25 AM
When I change mine I put dishwashing liquid (many people use WD-40) on the old impeller, pull the safety lanyard then bump the starter a couple of times and use two paint can openers to start to remove the impeller. Once I get the impeller out enough to grab it with plyers or vice grips I pull it out the rest of the way.

Thrall
06-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Screwdriver, needle nose vise grips, paint can openers. Changed one when I was a kid with just a pocket knife.
If it's stuck, bump motor over between prying or un bolt the pump and rotate the pump back and forth. Grease the new one on the splines.

Granite_33
06-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Since I have a direct drive its easy for me to grab the impeller with 2 needle nose pliers, one on each side and work it out that way.

I try to keep from prying since previously it put a bunch of nicks in the impeller housing.

Is this a DD or V?

oldairboater
06-24-2010, 10:39 AM
I actually grabbed mine by the vane with a needle nose and slid it out. I used a good antisieze lube on the shaft before reinstalling. Will see how that works out next year since this will be at least an annual change out. To many smart people on here saying change it annually and it makes sense--so I will. Impeller is cheaper then an engine any day.

east tx skier
06-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Lubricant and profanity.

Jorski
06-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Lubricant and profanity.

The amount of profanity is inversely proportianal to the amount of lubricant !

CruisinGA
06-24-2010, 02:32 PM
I use the same flat head screw driver that takes off the cover screws to remove the impellar.

It's been said before, but soap works great as a lube for installing the new one.

stuartmcnair
06-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I pull a lot of wire through conduit so I use the Ideal conduit lubricant to pull them and put them in...works great and will not harm anything

You can get a bottle of it on the electrical aisle at Home Depot. Also works well for getting feet into bindings.

east tx skier
06-24-2010, 04:55 PM

The amount of profanity is inversely proportianal to the amount of lubricant !

Now there's a man who has been to prison!

Davo
06-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Screwdriver, needle nose vise grips, paint can openers. Changed one when I was a kid with just a pocket knife.
If it's stuck, bump motor over between prying or un bolt the pump and rotate the pump back and forth. Grease the new one on the splines.

This is what I use - I keep them in the glove compartment with a spare impeller and a multi head screw driver. I used shaving cream on one this year to get it out - spray a little in there and bump the motor with ignition and it comes right out. We use shaving cream as binding lube.

loeweb
06-24-2010, 05:15 PM
the impeller puller is probably the BEST tool for the job. Paint can openers and dish soap have always done right by me, and saved a ton of money over the purchase of the tool.

cf_koch
06-25-2010, 07:35 AM
If you do decide to purchase an impeller puller and you have a v-drive, be sure that you have enough room between the raw water pump and the muffler to use the tool before you purchase.