PDA

View Full Version : Do It Yourself Fluid Changes

scubat
08-20-2004, 03:29 PM
This question is for all of you that change your own engine oil and tranny fluids. Do you have a specific brand of fluid extractor that you like to use? Also, does anyone use a "fake a lake" flush kit or similar device to run your motor on land to get the fluids warm before extraction? I have a 97 Pro Star 190 with the LT1 if anyone is interested! I realize these are not hard jobs to tackle but people's experience with certain methods can make the jobs easier! Thanks for the help.

Thrall
08-20-2004, 03:35 PM
I use a Turkey baster to suck out the Trans Fluid.

ktn_cmu
08-20-2004, 03:36 PM
My boat has a tube hooked to the oil drain plug that is capped off. When I change the oil, I run that tube out the center drain and into a bucket...it is fairly slow, but seems to work alright.

Tom Wortham
08-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Same as ktn cum, I have a hose that I drop through the drain hole. The warmer the boat is the faster the oil drains. I don't have a "fake a lake", but probably should get one. I just hook the hose up and crankit to flush it... I don't run it long, since a lot of the water is falling through the intake opening. When I do change the oil, I try to do it after some time on the water. Hope this helps.. Turkey baster sounds like a good idea for the transmission fluid. I need to change mine soon.. I think they say every 30 hours for oil and 100 hours for trans. Everyone has their own pref.

G-man
08-20-2004, 04:00 PM
I use a pump that attaches to my portable drill for the transmission. This sucks it out. I pump into a graduated container and fill with the same amount of atf. It is recommended to do every 100 hrs or 2 years I think.

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 04:02 PM
I've got the drill pump also like George. The thing works like a champ and I also use it to drain peanut oil out of my Turkey Fryer. I change the fluids every year all at once.

Diesel
08-20-2004, 04:13 PM
This is what I use for the transmission

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=559

MarkP
08-20-2004, 04:15 PM
My dad has a plunger pump that goes over the dipstick tube for his oil. I wonder if that will work for my transmission?

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 04:16 PM
I've got a fake fake-a-lake, but am not a huge fan. I'm working on designs for an alternative to the flush aids on the market. And yes, if I get a patent, I'll sell it cheaper. If I can't get a patent, I'll just post pictures. Hell, you guys are nice enough, I'll have a MC Board Member discount, t'boot.

Tom Wortham
08-20-2004, 04:17 PM
I got one of those drill pumps off e-bay. It was used... I tried testing it with a cup of water.... I guess the seals or impeller is bad on it... maybe my drill wasn't fully charged... It would only suck water half way up the clear house... I wouldn't think this would be an item that would wear out... Only cost me $2 bucks.... Should have bought "new". :uglyhamme

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 04:18 PM
MC Board member? Or member of this board? LOL

Diesel
08-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Oh by the way you do not need a fake a lake. Go down to the local home depot and buy a piece of clear hose that will slip over the raw water intake on the transmission cooler. Then adapt it down to the standard garden hose. I also have simple plastic ball valve to control flow at the garden hose. Simply remove the factory raw water intake hose and replace with your "custom" adapter. If you use clear hose you can watch the water to ensure an adequate amount is flowing while your engine is running.

Also I like to use Mobil 1 Snythetics in my motor and tranny.

scubat
08-20-2004, 04:25 PM
I use a Turkey baster to suck out the Trans Fluid.

How long does this take to change using the baster? Seems tedius!

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Members of this board, of course. Those other guys can afford to pay full price.

Diesel
08-20-2004, 04:36 PM
How long does this take to change using the baster? Seems tedius!

Sounds messy too :D

Thrall
08-20-2004, 04:56 PM
No, probably not the slickest setup around (no pun) but that's all I had laying around when it came time to change the oil. Works good for changing the diff. oil on the truck too, without removing the cover, 'though you gotta put a little piece of fuel line on the end for a "snorkel."

Kell
08-23-2004, 12:17 AM
I use a vaccum pump from West Marine ($50 ish), and I modified the clear tube and attached a female barb connector which connects to the male connector of the oil pan drain tube extension. I also use the vacuum pump to such out the tranny fluid. Here are some photos.

mastercraft1995
08-23-2004, 12:19 PM
I use a ball that you squeeze with your hand and a couple of hoses on either side of it to suck out the tranny fluid. You can get them at auto parts stores for 5 bucks. I use a drill with a pump on it for the engine oil. When removing the oil filter put a freezer bag over it so that you don't get any oil in your baby.

ktn_cmu
08-23-2004, 01:19 PM
When removing the oil filter put a freezer bag over it so that you don't get any oil in your baby.

That's a great idea!!!

tall_ andy
08-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Diesel, Can you post a pic or two of your "flush kit" I want to do something like that, but having a pic would make it a whole lot easier.

MC1995 I like the idea of a freezer bag!!! I'll do that next oil change

lakes Rick
08-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Freezer bag or large zip lock bag, works great for changing oil filter.. I also lay some of the plastic bags you get at the grocery store ( paper or plastic) and lay them under to you can actually just let it fall into it and pick up and go....

When draining my v-drive, I just put a smaller garbage bag under it and let it drain into it... NO room for anything else, and when you pull it out full of oil it will snake around any hard bends.. I know some guys with other boats that change their oil that way... Sure makes things easier and alot less messy...

I threw away that piece of junk "drill pump" years ago.. Not enough hands to work that jimmy rig without spilling oil and making a mess.. I splurged on the professional type of pump attached to the bucket.. yeah it was around a $100, but it sure makes my life easier to do the oil and tranny... OH I rent it out to my friends........

Michael Epp
08-25-2004, 12:53 AM
I was surprised to discover that I can't access my water intake because the trailer bunk is in the way (04 X-10). Anyone else with this problem? I removed the hose clamps (on the water intake hose) and removed the hose and then shoved in a garden hose (one of the salesman from my dealer showed me how to do it). He said they do this all the time. Seemed to work okay. I sure like the sound of that MCX when it's on the trailer. I'm still not sure if I'll tackle the fluid changes myself.

Kell
08-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Michael, I've got the same issue with a 99 Maristar 210, which I beleive is the same hull as your X10. I can't access the thru hull fitting as the trailer bunk covers it. I also use that method to change fluids, e.g., remove the intake hose and shove a garden hose in. I made a short length of hose, about 10 feet, use a ball valve on the end that connects to the garden hose to the facuet, the other end goes in the intake hose. I then use the ball valve to control the water flow. Works nicely in my opinion. Changing out the fluids is a breeze. Lots of suggestions on this board, so do some searches and post any questions you may have.

NeilM
08-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Michael, I have the same hull, same trailer, and same problem. I just bought a FlushPro ($CDN 80 from the dealer) and am going to install it in the water line this weekend.

http://perko.com/flushpro/

I suppose I could have made something with a hose and ball valve (great idea) but I have a tendancy to not have what I need with me when I need it (and there's only so much crap one packs when heading off to BC. Since this is permanently affixed, I figure I can find a garden hose anywhere in case there's some reason why I want to do a runup on land.

Leec
08-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Okay this is from the other board. This was the cheapest price for a good oil drain pump. It can also be reversed to pump into recylable containers.http://www.pumpagents.com/JabscoPumps/17850.html
:smile:

lakes Rick
08-25-2004, 01:45 PM
NeilM

What I didnt like about the flushpro is it will not backflush through the tranny cooler and intake..

I just plumb into my coldwater/hot shower intake, with a new fitting, and hook my hose up to it.. When I first turn on the water it will backflush out the hull intake before I start the engine.. Sure seems like a backflush can't hurt anything.....

NeilM
08-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Rick,

Damn, I wish I'd thought of that. Anybody wanna buy a flushpro:D ?

hardycm
08-25-2004, 03:20 PM
When I bought my '88 several years back, the previous owner gave me his version of the flushpro. He took a plunger, threaded a PVC pipe to it and teed a garden hose fitting to it. The PVC is the right length that you can wedge it between the ground and the boat, thus it stays in place. I think its great. And I'm sure it was cheap to build. Lemme know if you wanna see some pics.

bcampbe7
08-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Well yea, since you asked... :D
Post some pics if you have time...

chris.willman
08-25-2004, 03:34 PM
That's the way I do it. Poor mans way - but it works. Kind of a pain to climb under the trailer to do it though - especially on gravel.

scubat
08-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Can't the flushpro be installed before the Tranny cooler to make sure that is flushed also?

hardycm
08-27-2004, 07:35 AM
pics are coming this weekend. Chris - where do you ski? I'm in Cincy, too.

H20skeefreek
08-27-2004, 07:43 AM
Rick,

Damn, I wish I'd thought of that. Anybody wanna buy a flushpro:D ?

which hose diameter do you have, i might take it off your hands for the right price.

east tx skier
08-27-2004, 11:38 AM
I always figured it would be installed pre-tranny cooler for that reason. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be installed there.

east tx skier
08-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Hardy, that's essentially what my first "fake fake-a-lake" was. Plunger with a barbed female hose fitting stuk through the outer rim of it and sealed. Had an extra telescoping cover support pole that I sawed off with a hacksaw. It's adjustable. But I don't like climbing under the boat; and I don't like not being able to monitor how much water its getting, etc. Still looking for time to build my new alternative.

lakes Rick
08-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Can't the flushpro be installed before the Tranny cooler to make sure that is flushed also?

Scubat, the flush pros I have seen block off the intake line when you hook up a hose and turn on the pressure, so no water going out the intake line.. You need to BACK flush the tranny cooler.. If you intall the FP before , the water flow continues as if the engine is running. It does not go BACKWARDS to unblock any crud in the line....

Of course after you flush with the flushpro, you could disassemble the lines a flush them out seperately.. AND I guess the best way to clean the tranny cooler screen is disassembled, but I have not had any cooling problems so I assume again my backflush works......

east tx skier
08-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Whoops, sorry Rick, I think I misunderstood his question. The reason to backflush the tranny cooler is that the debris is on one side of this little grate inside the cooler. Flushing from the hullside won't get rid of this stuff (unless it somehow pushes it toward the impeller/engine, which doesn't sound like a particularly desireable place for it to be.

ajnesbitt
08-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Get a primer bulb (like those used to prime the fuel system on small outboards) and some tubing for $5 to change the tranny fluid. I use a stiff tube to stick into the tranny and a flexible one to put in a graduated container. It only takes 10-20 squeezes and the tranny is dry. Then just add the same amount back in.

NeilM
08-31-2004, 01:44 AM
Thomas,

Thanks for the offer, but, by the time I shipped it back to the USA, you'd be able to get one way cheaper. I decided to install it anyway - did it yesterday - works fantastic. I figure I'll still disconnect the hoses at the tranny cooler to backflush any crap out of the screens at the end of the season anyway, but this way, I can stick a garden hose on it anytime and start it up if I need to.

Maybe next year I'll get the Sherwood raw water filter bought and installed, then I won't have to worry about backflushing the tranny cooler.

east tx skier
08-31-2004, 11:09 AM
Love my filter. Just have to remember to rinse it once and a while.

OhioProstar
08-31-2004, 12:36 PM
Neil,
I made an adaptor for the raw water line out of $6 in parts at Lowes.

(1) 1 and 1/4" to 3/4" reducing fitting(all plumbing section)
(1) 3/4 inch garden hose fitting(female side)
(1) 5' section of 3/4 clear hose
(2) Hose Clamps

I remove the raw intake from the hull and clamp the reducer on to the hose turn the hose on and quickly fire the engine....no problems and keeps the water draining down the driveway to a minimum and it allows me to back flush the tranny cooler by using the hose off the raw pump.