PDA

View Full Version : 07 X2 Tranny acting up

ediggity
06-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi,

I was out yest and had my day cut short. After taking a run, I made a left turn and started to feel some slipping or loss of power. I immediately powered down and sat idling for a bit. When I went to put it back in gear, it was as if I was running in neutral. The engine would rev but the trans was not engaged. Reverse was the same thing. Engine reved but not in drive. I shut it off, grabbed our oars and began to look around for some who could tow us in. I was freaking out... after about a minute, I decided to start it up again. I was thinking that maybe the trans disengage button was accidentally pushed or stuck or something. So I started it up and put it in gear... it engaged! I ran at idle but something sounded weird... if I gave it any gas it slipped and there was a whinning or slipping sound coming from the tranny.

I got it back to the dock at idle... then came home to read up on TT forum. From my reading, it seems like low oil could be the culprit... but I didn't check the oil at the dock because I wasn't aware that this could be the problem... but I did check it this AM... with the engine cold, the oil is above the second line by about an 1/8 of an inch. This is with the engine completely cold. Seems like way too much to me...

Sorry for the long story... here are my questions:
- What should the tranny oil level be reading when the boat is cold???
- What are the symptoms of having too much oil in the trans???
- Any other ideas as to what is up???

Boat has 150 hours... out of warranty... thanks for any help or input.

Edwin

Thrall
06-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I changed mine and filled it to the top line, cold, so 1/8th above isn't your problem.
Can't help otherwise...sorry.

ediggity
06-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Hmmmm txs..... So when the boat is cold, the oil should be at the top line? Where should it be when it's warm? My dipstick only has 2 lines... then a series of numbers. The oil may have been 1/2 an inch above the top line... so where does it need to be when measured warm?

ediggity
06-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Anyone got any other tips or thoughts? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

xbot50000
06-27-2010, 09:18 PM
There are some procedures how to check the transmission fluid and the required levels in your owners manual. Its on page 15-8. http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/2007%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

ediggity
06-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the reply... but unfortunately it doesn't say anything about where it should be when cold. It is also not clear which of the 2 marks on my trans dipstick is the "FULL WARM" mark like it says in the manual. I've read the manual a few times. It is so bad... it seems to be written as a warning of all of the things you shouldn't do. Wish it was more detailed/informative...

Thanks anyway............

coz
06-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the reply... but unfortunately it doesn't say anything about where it should be when cold...

Because you're supposed to check it when it's warmed up, that's why it doesn't tell you a cold level.