PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tow Eye - rotation

petemcc
06-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Got an odd one that I cannot seem to find the answer on....
The rear tow eye has rotated nearly 90 degrees after pulling the kids on a tube. Someone must do it...
Attached is a picture prior to the issue this weekend. The boat is a 1992 Maristar if it helps
thanks

oldairboater
06-21-2010, 11:45 PM
I thought that was a lifting eye---not a towing eye. I have one on the front of my Prostar and it is a lifting eye--not built to be pulled on sideways. My towing eye on my Prostar is recessed.

Dbuck
06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
That ring looks like the tow eye that is common on many boats. I know a lot of Prostars had a tow point recessed into the rear deck with a lifting ring on top, but that does not look like a lifting ring. A lot of later model Mastercrafts such as the X-1 have the tow point integrated into a grab handle, and a similar arangement is optional on 197's et al. I am not familiar with what was standard on those Maristars.

Most of the tow rings like that I have seen were made with two bolts designed to be through bolted to the transom with backing plates and as such would be impossible to rotate unless one of the bolts broke. If your eye is like that, check to see if one of the bolts has broken.

dlboltond
08-19-2011, 03:26 PM
I am having the same problem. What is the best way to get at it? There are 4 screws visible from the top, but mine just turn. I never use it, but I don't want it to break if it did. I also have the 1992 marista and the sticker says "tow/lift ring"

whtlghtn49
08-26-2011, 10:12 AM
dlboltond,

I have a '91 Maristar and my rear tow eye was loose. The only way to get to it is to remove the rear flooring, the rear seats, and work your way back to the rudder assembly. The tow eye has about a 1-2 foot threaded bolt that threads into a weird, oblong-style nut on the back transom. That nut has to be in a bracket, which is attached to the transom fiberglass. (if you look at petemcc's picture, the bracket is the stainless steel thing between his two exhaust flaps)

It is tough to do, you have to get the nut in the bracket just right, then begin screwing the tow ring into the nut. To get it tight, get a large crescent wrench and put it on the tow ring.

Before you tear your entire floor & seats out, at least try to turn the tow ring clockwise and just see if it is still in the nut. It will tighten up eventually if it's still connected...if not, you have to put the nut back inside the bracket and re-attach it.

Good Luck!

psychobilly
08-26-2011, 12:53 PM
awwww heck, thanks for that! good info there!!!! I'll have to check into mine too.

petemcc, how bought post'n some more pics of that ole classic!!!