PDA

View Full Version : Used Exhaust Manifolds

SDProstar
06-21-2010, 04:50 PM
I originally bought my 91 Prostar as a "fixer" without a motor but I now own a rebuilt 351w long block. Among the many parts I need are exhaust manifolds.

I found these on Craigslist http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/1802085286.html and talked to the seller. He claims that they look very nice and the engine they came from had low hours. However, he is certain that they came from a Ford 302.

From looking at the BARR catalog/website they seem to list 351w and 302 manifolds as the same part number. Does anyone know if the two motors use the same exhaust manifolds?

Thank you,
Chris

dmminfla
06-21-2010, 05:02 PM
The 351 and 302 are the same block. So they will fit. Check the diameter of the riser where you attach the exhaust hoses. The pic looks like they are smaller than normal

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/exhaust/pcmex.php

thatsmrmastercraft
06-21-2010, 05:15 PM
You got the correct advice on the 302 & 351 exhaust being the same.

Mr_Woodcock
06-21-2010, 06:50 PM
You got the correct advice on the 302 & 351 exhaust being the same.

If you get these I would recommend dipping these things in Muriatic Acid for about 4 hours to clean them out. You can do a 50/50 blend with water. Make sure you look into the exhaust ports to see any major rust in them. After dipping repaint. You can definately tell if water had been leaking into them through a cracked wall or bad riser gasket. I would definately bargain with the price a bit.

SDProstar
06-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Thank you, everyone, for the information and advice.

Although our boat came to us with no engine, the exhaust hoses were there so I’ll take one along to make sure they fit.

I’m thinking of offering the seller $150, and perhaps settling around $175.

If I get them I’ll post back with pictures, etc.

Chris

thatsmrmastercraft
06-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Should be 3" unless its a 351HO which I believe is 3 1/2".

Mr_Woodcock
06-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Make sure that you take a flash light to look inside the passages. Idealy some gently used ones should not be clogged up. Look at the rusted areas and see how much corrosion has taken place.

Napagary
06-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Can you separate the riser from the manifold for a look-see before making the deal?

SDProstar
06-24-2010, 01:43 PM
OK, I bought them!

I paid $100 each, but the seller agreed to deliver them to me (a 60 mile round trip.) They really are in nice condition with minimal rust.

Should be 3" unless its a 351HO which I believe is 3 1/2".

They match my exhaust hoses, coming off the muffler: 3"

Make sure that you take a flash light to look inside the passages. Idealy some gently used ones should not be clogged up. Look at the rusted areas and see how much corrosion has taken place.

I did. There is some rust, but they are not clogged. We connected a hose to the hose fitting and water freely flowed through the discharge. There's no sign of rust in the exhust ports, and they are pretty clean. The boat they came from was older (not sure of the year) but only had 153 hours.

Can you separate the riser from the manifold for a look-see before making the deal?

I did not do this before I bought them and probably should have. The gaskets show no sign of ever leaking.

Now I have to decide:

1. Clean them up and paint with black hi-temp paint to match my rebuilt engine?

2. Separate the risers/manifolds and bead blast before painting?

3. Get all fancy and have them ceramic powder coated (I have a friend in the business.)

Thrall
06-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Cermic coated for sure if you got a connection.
If they weren't leaking I'd leave them together.

Napagary
06-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Do these manifolds just have one bolt at each ex port?

SDProstar
06-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Do these manifolds just have one bolt at each ex port?

Yes, only one bolt per exhaust port. I was surprised when I saw this. I did carefully inspect each port and saw no evidence of any exhaust leaks.

gordonjj
07-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Cermic coated for sure if you got a connection.
If they weren't leaking I'd leave them together.

What's actually the difference between ceramic coated and porcelain coated? Hope I got that right.