PDA

View Full Version : Reverse image print

CiscoStu
06-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Ok, so now I'm really mad at myself... A couple weeks ago, I was cleaning up my boat, getting ready to store it for a few weeks. I bought a brand new chamois for cleaning the inside, windows, etc. After I finished cleaning the seats and using MC's vinyl cleaner and some 303, I left the new chamois in the wrapper on the seat.

Fast forward a few (hot and humid) weeks, when I brought it out this past weekend, I noticed the new chamois still in the wrapper, face down on the seat. I tried to pick it up, and had to peel it off the seat. Lo and behold, a perfect reverse image of the wrapper package, imprinted on my seat.

I tried everything - water, scrubbing with a brush, vinyl cleaner, 303, left a wet chamois on it for 30 minutes... nothing will get the image off the seat. So, I am about to try a mild bleach mixture, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has come across this issue... Seriously, it's not just sitting on top of the vinyl, it has actually stained the vinyl and become a permanent part of it.

Of course, everyone who saw it this weekend had to comment... From the wife's "Who did this?" to "wow - it's a perfect reverse image!".

And, any requests for a picture will be considered a 'setup' for proof of my stupidity!

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Rob

ntidsl
06-21-2010, 03:27 PM
it will fade in the sun...just use the boat.

C36
06-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Rob:

I had a similar issue when we first picked up our boat in 2006. The previous owner had left all of the documentation we had asked for inside a plastic bag (with colour printing) on the driver seat. Only problem was the boat was left stored outside at the dealer for two months (heating and cooling daily). When we arrived I had to peel the bag of the driver seat. I was not pleased when I saw the mark left from the colour transfer from the bag - see the picture below. Similar to you, no cleaner I tried had any effect. The Service Manager at the dealer suggested leaving it in the sun. The sun did bleach it within about a month (of normal daily use). By the end of our first season, it had totally disappeared. I would give this a try before taking any drastic measures.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Ok, so now I'm really mad at myself... A couple weeks ago, I was cleaning up my boat, getting ready to store it for a few weeks. I bought a brand new chamois for cleaning the inside, windows, etc. After I finished cleaning the seats and using MC's vinyl cleaner and some 303, I left the new chamois in the wrapper on the seat.

Fast forward a few (hot and humid) weeks, when I brought it out this past weekend, I noticed the new chamois still in the wrapper, face down on the seat. I tried to pick it up, and had to peel it off the seat. Lo and behold, a perfect reverse image of the wrapper package, imprinted on my seat.

I tried everything - water, scrubbing with a brush, vinyl cleaner, 303, left a wet chamois on it for 30 minutes... nothing will get the image off the seat. So, I am about to try a mild bleach mixture, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has come across this issue... Seriously, it's not just sitting on top of the vinyl, it has actually stained the vinyl and become a permanent part of it.

Of course, everyone who saw it this weekend had to comment... From the wife's "Who did this?" to "wow - it's a perfect reverse image!".

And, any requests for a picture will be considered a 'setup' for proof of my stupidity!

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Rob

Who doesn't want to have a Shamwow logo on your seat?:D

CiscoStu
06-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Haha - now THAT is funny... Shamwow. More like "wowmahS".

C36 - at least you can see the "MasterCraft" logo in there...

Thanks for the advice guys... I did notice a slight fade just over the weekend, but I thought it was due to all of my hard work, and chemicals. Well, mostly the chemicals.

I knew you all would know the answer! Thanks again.

Rob

thatsmrmastercraft
06-21-2010, 04:48 PM
At least it should go away without all the effort. Good luck.