PDA

View Full Version : Driver seat repair

jchance
06-21-2010, 02:56 PM
I have a 2001 Maristar with a captain's chair mounted on a Garelok Millenuim plate (the OEM original). The seat is made of HDPE and 3 of the inserts for the mounting screws have snapped in half. It appears that the original screws were probably 1/4 to 1/2" shorter than they could have been and also some sort of galvanic corrosion has occurred between the stainless screws and the inserts. They have simply snapped in two.

What is the best way to repair the inserts?

Is it better to remove the vinyl skin and use bolts and T-nuts or can a different insert be placed?

Thanks in advance!

5280Hawk
06-23-2010, 04:46 PM
I think you have to take the seat apart, and completely replace the inserts. It's going to be tough to get the vinly back on correctly, because you don't have any spare material around the Edges of the staple line.

Patsfan
06-28-2010, 10:18 PM
The inserts are molded into the seat. They can't be replaced.
Two options.1) Take the seat off the base drill the holes though the seat and but four stainless bolts about 2 1/2" -3" long and bolt it back together with nuts and lock washers.
2) Cut a piece of 1/2" hdpe and line up the bolts and put t-nuts in the holes and screw the 1/2" material to the bottom of the seat.
You may think I've done this before,YEP
Good luck!