PDA

View Full Version : stars and stripes replacement gauges

dawsoncharles
06-21-2010, 11:12 AM
I have a 85 stars and stripes in very good shape. I am doing minor fix ups and most of the gauges are either not lit or not working. The fuel guage is not working both speedo's and tach are not functioning and so on. What is the best way to go about it? I have not seen a teleflex set that is just like what I have? Any suggestions are awesome...Thanks

oxberger
06-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Welcome to the forum. I have an '85 I'm restoring and eventually will need to tackle the same issues you have. Unfortunately I don't have any advice, so I'll be watching your thread to see what I can be done. I think the only gauges I have that work are the voltage, the temp, and the tach. The speedos may be an easy fix. The fuel gauge could be a two part problem. Hopefully one of the really tech savvy guys on here can help. Good luck! BTW, let's see some pics of that beauty.

dawsoncharles
06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
I have looked at the teleflex website and there are quite a few options. I would like to match the current tach and spedo as far as the gauge limits are concerned and obviously the fitment size and so on need to work. might check it out if you beat me to it. I will be at the lake this weekend and will try to snap a fe shots to post. keep you posted

TMCNo1
06-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Check these guys out for the Airguide speedos, http://www.airguide.com.au/
and here for the other gauges, http://www.classicboatwork.com/classicparts/gauges/restorations/restoration_gauge.html

ecproductions143
06-22-2010, 06:16 AM
whats thes problem with your gauges? prolly can be salvaged

americanskierJim
06-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Dawson, All you need is a test light and another person to flip the switch and test the fuse pannel for power. I Just got everthing working on my "80" lastnight. I have the orginal gauges that came with the boat. I would test them all before buying new ones. 99% of the time it is a ground problem like I had. Good luck

thatsmrmastercraft
06-22-2010, 09:10 AM
I had light corrosion on virtually every connection..........even the fuses. I pulled the fuse panel (after labeling all wires and plenty of pics) and cleaned it really well and cleaned or replaced all the connectors. Put in all new fuses and everything works.

WilliM1940
06-22-2010, 09:42 AM
The original gauges are Faria (except for the Airguides), and if you want to restore the originals, I think they have a reconditioning service. Otherwise, a close approximation to them is the Faria Coral line.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-22-2010, 09:56 AM
For the speedometers, first remove them from the dash with the three screws each. Then remove the gauge from the dash. There will be a black rubber hose attached to the back on a hose barb. Take the hose off and try blowing through and out the pitot (the pick-up on the back of the boat). Should be able to blow easily.

After all these years, the gauge is probably got some dead bugs in it, not to mention a little light corrosion. The gauge can be easily disassembled for cleaning. A can of compressed air works well here.

This link has pictures of mine disassembled.
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32306

Give a shout if you need any assistance.