PDA

View Full Version : You Guys Are THE BOMB!

NewbieMastecraft
06-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Prostar 205V overheating. Everyone said change the impeller. I'm no mechanic and the dealer said he couldn't do it for 10 days, so I read some of the posts and tried it myself. Found 75-80% of the vanes (shredded) in the filter screen, so I knew I had to take the impeller out. Removed the cover, 2 squirts of food-grade silicone, two 1/2 second engine cranks with the coil wire removed and out it came! Whoever suggested using the two paint can openers - GENIUS. Worked like a charm. Remember "Primitive Pete" from your 8th grade shop class? (Guess you know how old I am) Well that's me. Never have the right tool, but an impeller puller could not have worked easier. Only minor difficulty was the impeller flew out of the housing on the first tug and fell on the floor! Since I was working "blind" - I couldn't actually see how it was sitting in the housing. When I get the new one, can either end go into the housing first, or is there only one correct way to install? Thanks everybody. Looks like I'll have the boat for the 4th afterall. :headbang:

Cloaked
06-29-2005, 09:03 PM
....You guys are THE BOMB..... :headbang:Ya' think?? :D :D

Have a great weekend and be extra safe.

east tx skier
06-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Agreed, we rule! Nicely done.

jmac197
06-30-2005, 11:00 AM
A new impeller can go in either end first. Put a liberal coat of vaseline on to help slide it in. The vanes are going to need to be compressed a bit to allow the hub of the impeller to fit on the shaft properly. Try twisting the impeller a little before you engage the pump shaft to bend the vanes. I'm not sure which way your pump rotates, clockwise or counter clockwise, but you should make sure you twist it in the same direction.

Anyone else know which direction the pump goes? You could look at the old impeller and if there is any indication to which direction it was and just do the same!!

Later
Jim

east tx skier
06-30-2005, 11:04 AM
I believe it turns clockwise on my boat, but I could be wrong. Also, I'd be careful using vaseline as it could degrade the rubber and doesn't come off too easily with water.

jmac197
06-30-2005, 11:13 AM
I didn't know it would degrade. Thanks! Any other suggestions to help lube it up?

I replace my impeller every year as a maintenance item so I haven't seen any problems, but if there's a better solution, I'm all ears!

Thanks
Jim

ski_king
06-30-2005, 11:19 AM
I use some of my binding slime. It is already in the boat.

starman205
06-30-2005, 11:25 AM
I use binding slime as well!!! :wavey:

G-man
06-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Binding slime is good, food grade silicone is the best, put some on the shaft and the veins and removal wil be easier next time. Your local dive shop will have it. You dont want the spray you want the grease in the tub.

OhioProstar
06-30-2005, 11:28 AM
I use Shampoo that I keep in the boat for bindings and removing sun tan oil. Works great every time....Welcome to the board.

MarkP
06-30-2005, 12:04 PM
I just dip it in a little water or send it in dry. I never really had an issue getting one in..

wesgardner
06-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Joy dishwashing liquid for me (binding slime stand-in)...you can also use to straight blade screw drivers for removal....oh...get/keep a spare impeller on board....change it out EVERY season (cheap insurance)

Have a great weekend

Wes

MarkP
06-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Oh,

And I agree!! Them guys rock!:headbang: !

east tx skier
06-30-2005, 12:11 PM
I didn't know it would degrade. Thanks! Any other suggestions to help lube it up?

I replace my impeller every year as a maintenance item so I haven't seen any problems, but if there's a better solution, I'm all ears!

Thanks
Jim

I wasn't suggesting that the likelihood was great, but from everything I've read, petroleum jelly will degrade rubber. I'm admittedly no expert.

Wire pulling lubricant or dish soap will both do the trick and will be rinsed out quickly once you run some water through there (dish soap may break down the rubber, too, but it wouldn't be on there for long).

My last impeller came with a little tube of glycerine based lube.

djhuff
06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
As far as having a spare, you just need one to get you back in case of a failure. Find someone who replaces every year and get their old one. Still should work well enough to get you home. When I replaced mine I just left the old one in the glove box.