PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump replacement, Engine will not start after running out of gas.

marvinhogan
06-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Fuel pump replacement number Napa P74118 (60 PSI) $120.

Mastercraft 2006 X30

If your boat will not start after running out of gas and the fuel system will not pressurize it is because the fuel lubricating fuel pump burns out when you run out of gas. You can replace the pump that is inside the tank for $140. Mastercraft will charge you about $700.

Verify that the pump is bad, Turn the key to the ON position, leave it on and use a small screw driver to press the tire valve that is located on the top of the engine where the fuel hose connects to the fuel distribution riser. If significant pressure (60 PSI) does not release then you need a new fuel pump. The pump is located inside the fuel tank pump assembly. Make sure to disconnect the battery's before removing the assembly. Be very careful, the fuel and fumes are very dangerous.

Replacing the tank fuel pump after running out of gas is easy. You just need a fuel line disconnect tool which Napa sells. The replacement fuel pump is Napa number is P74118 (60 PSI) $120.

Email me if you need more information on how to do it. The replacement takes about 1 hour.
marvinhogan@yahoo.com
Edit/Delete Message

beu1968
06-25-2010, 08:25 PM
I have a 2005 Prostar 209 with the MCX motor. Will this pump fit my boat? Are all the connections the same? I had been having problems with my boat stalling. I changed the tether, Took the tank out and fk]lushed it then put in a new fuel filter. I ran the boat out of gas. I filled it back up and it started immediately. I shut it off after tubing for about half an hour to go swimming. It would not start later when I tried. Later at the dock it would start and idle for about 2 minutes and then stall. I just bought this boat about 6 weeks ago and have not been real happy. I never had these problems with my Nautique. Please help if you can.
Thanks,

bjackson
06-28-2010, 11:52 AM
I have a 2001 X-Star (205V) with an Indmar 5.7L and have just recently experienced some issues with my engine not receiving fuel.

Using the boat the other day, with a full tank of gas, and underway the engine just shut off. I had determined that the inline fuse located near the fuel pump relay had blown. I replaced the fuse and everything worked just fine. However the next day I went out and the same thing, blew the fuse but since replacing it I still get nothing.

I have verified that the pump is receiving the necessary 12 volts to run and further verified it is not receving gas by checking the gas pressure at the valve located near the top of the engine. The engine cranks but does not fire. With that said I have two questions:

1. Is it safe to say that my fuel pump may have failed?

2. If the pump failed, will this replacement pump work?

I don't have any information on the pump currently installed in my fuel tank. I have pulled it out before and it does look like the one that was linked to on Napa's website. I also spoke to my MC dealer and they said a new pump would be $450 which is a lot to spend not being 100% sure its the pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

JPRO
07-03-2010, 01:19 AM
I have the exact same story.
2000 xstar 5.7l
I have been reading these threads and have bought new pump (advanced auto airtex e2065) and will change it out tomorrow.
Hopefully I have a good outcome to report.
FYI, I have found the whole module for sale $250 online if my pump fix doesn't work.
http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/37_263-boat-engines-engine-parts-and-accessories-misc-motor-supplies/2844-carter-federal-mogul-carter-federal-mastercraft-boat-fuel-pump-system.html

Floydage
07-08-2010, 02:41 AM
These boats have a serious fuel pump problem. My 2001 X-Star has consumed 4, yes 4 pumps, I am now on my 5th one. I did run out of gas on three of them so I guess it's my fault, but the other two have also failed. In fact I was stranded on the Delta last week with my two very young daughters and my wife. An otherwise fun Saturday was ruined becuase of this problem. I appreciate MarivnHogan posting the info on the Napa pumps, I am going to buy one and keep it in the boat so that when it fails again, and it will, I can replace it on the fly and get back to the marina with my family.

Thrall
07-08-2010, 04:25 PM
I have a 2005 Prostar 209 with the MCX motor. Will this pump fit my boat? Are all the connections the same? I had been having problems with my boat stalling. I changed the tether, Took the tank out and fk]lushed it then put in a new fuel filter. I ran the boat out of gas. I filled it back up and it started immediately. I shut it off after tubing for about half an hour to go swimming. It would not start later when I tried. Later at the dock it would start and idle for about 2 minutes and then stall. I just bought this boat about 6 weeks ago and have not been real happy. I never had these problems with my Nautique. Please help if you can.
Thanks,

That right there is your problem. That 209 just don't like pulling tubes!
Seriously, I wouldn't bag on your boat about problems. If you have to clean out the gas tank on a 5 year old boat then it hasn't been maintianed worth a crap. I'd imagine if you took a new Porsche, let it sit with old gas in it for a cpl years, run it out of gas, etc, it may mess up too.
Yes the fuel pumps are a problem on these boats, yes the one posted above should work on yours (I bought the same pump and have it as a spare in my tool kit for WHEN mine dies).
If you read up on the several fuel pump threads here, many different brands/part #'s, all the same basic pump and fit many years.

TX.X-30 fan
07-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Got my pump for 85 bucks for the MCX its all in another thread.

bjackson
07-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I have the exact same story.
2000 xstar 5.7l
I have been reading these threads and have bought new pump (advanced auto airtex e2065) and will change it out tomorrow.
Hopefully I have a good outcome to report.
FYI, I have found the whole module for sale $250 online if my pump fix doesn't work.
http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/37_263-boat-engines-engine-parts-and-accessories-misc-motor-supplies/2844-carter-federal-mogul-carter-federal-mastercraft-boat-fuel-pump-system.html

How'd you make out?