PDA

View Full Version : Stripped bolts for teak

DeluxeSS
06-20-2010, 10:23 PM
So a buddy of mine decided to do a backflip off the teak on my 85 SS....it ended up bending the bracket and appears to have stripped the bolts outta the hull to a certain extent

what are my options to go about fixing this? can water get into the hull through those holes?

Im hoping its simple and not a big issue, need some guidance!

Thanks!

boyd
06-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Without spending alot of time thinking about it........ step #1 my first thought would be get the next size larger bolt and put in it. Fill the hole with waterproof JB weld first or inject fiberglass resin. Get a bolt with a more aggressive thread.

Step #2. Find a friend who appreciates your boat.

ecproductions143
06-21-2010, 07:12 AM
Without spending alot of time thinking about it........ step #1 my first thought would be get the next size larger bolt and put in it. Fill the hole with waterproof JB weld first or inject fiberglass resin. Get a bolt with a more aggressive thread.

Step #2. Find a friend who appreciates your boat.

fiberglass should be left out during this fix. All it will do it crack and break back out beside the fact it is a vertical application. I myself have had to do the same thing although I decided to remove the lags and replace with SS bolts and nuts, and some rather large washers on the inside of the bolt. you might have to drill thru I know I did on my 80 SS. you will wanna seal both sides with some silicone (clear). this will require removal of the gas tank to be done properly heres a crappy sketch lol

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa287/ecproductions143/platform.jpg

oldairboater
06-21-2010, 07:21 AM
With a back flipping fool for a friend I think I would make my washers out of stainless plate. Spread the load out more than just big washers. JMO

ecproductions143
06-22-2010, 06:06 AM
With a back flipping fool for a friend I think I would make my washers out of stainless plate. Spread the load out more than just big washers. JMO

on my 80 this woulda worked on 4 the other 4 had stringers right in the way of the backing. Ill prolly regret not doping so on the ones i was able too lol ah hopefully not lol I just used about 2" in diameter flat washers then lock washers workied nicely but dont have many black flippers lol