PDA

View Full Version : docking in salt water

ryguy
06-29-2005, 09:07 PM
New x2 boat owner here....I was wondering how long I can keep my boat docked in salt water before needing to flush the engine. (to prevent rusting) I am planning to spend three days out in the Keys and was wondering if I should wash the boat down every day, or could leave the boat in the water and wait to wash it down until the trip was over?

T Scott
06-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Three days shouldn't hurt much. I would definitely rinse off your boat, interior, and engine (once it has cooled off) with a hose to get rid of any salt residue. It might not hurt to put some type of protectant on the motor as well (CRC, WD40, etc.) I would be most concerned about the trailer getting rusty. I would rinse the heck out of the trailer as quickly as you can, as salt water will corrode it very quickly. Have fun in the Keys, it is a great place to vacation.

Dave R
06-30-2005, 09:30 PM
If you have a flush kit installed I would leave the boat in the water but flush it everyday. Hose down the trailer with Salt-Away, including inside the rectangular tubes that the frame is made of. I drilled 1" holes through the rear reflectors on the trailer to flush the insides better. It detracts from the looks a little but if I get a few more years out of the trailer its worth it. After you take the boat out of the water, flush it thoroughly with Salt-Away or a similar product. Mercury makes a great corosion preventative spray that dries as a hard wax. Clean and spray the whole engine/trans package before you go. While you're on vacation and the boats off the trailer, spray the trailer down too. I know -anal. I hate corosion.