PDA

View Full Version : Driver Panel Repair

sixysixss
06-20-2010, 07:15 PM
While out on the lake today I noticed that the driver panel was bouncing a little more than it should. Upon inspection, it appears that the front bolt and washer have pulled through the panel. Basically, the plastic panel backing gave way. So, now I need to fix it. Anyone else had this problem? If so, I'd be interested in hearing how you fixed yours.

One idea I had is to use a cone shaped washer, if anyone makes such a thing. The bolt is recessed into the panel a good 3/8-1/2". If I could get a cone shaped washer in there, it would probably get more bit on more surface area of the panel. Anyone know a source for such a thing?

By the way, this is on an 05 X9. Thanks for any suggestions.

Tags
06-20-2010, 11:16 PM
our X7 has the same problem. I'd be interested to hear of a fix too

cheers,

DanC
06-21-2010, 04:51 AM
Yep, that is a common problem with a poor design. Several threads on this site about it but they are tough to find because it's not clear what to search on. Here is one thread.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25315&highlight=PANEL&page=2
Most people just use a large washer commonly called a fender washer.

Ethomass
06-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Good to know. My boat is doing that same. Ps205v 2001

timvan
06-21-2010, 09:15 AM
I ripped mne clear off with my arm on a wake.. Bought a new one and reinforced the hell out of it with glass

JerryW
06-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Had the same problem with our '02 X-9. Pulled the panel off, and was able to reinforce the back of the panel with some epoxy and thin mesh material, and glue the broken peice back in place. It's held up for 2-3 years now. Fortunately the screw and washer had not ripped through the vinyl, it was only the plastic panel itself that had cracked and broken.

209er
06-21-2010, 09:40 AM
I had the same problem with my 2006 PS209. I took a plastic bushing along with a washer and screwed it back in. The plastic bushing fit right inside of the indent on the panel. I figured that way with any vibration, it will help prevent the original hole in the panel from getting bigger, and so far it's worked and kept the panel tight. You can find the plastic bushings in any hardware store. Good luck!

ggroller
06-21-2010, 10:34 AM
When mine broke if took out my ignition key.

Rubber grommets work well. You can find grommets that are the same O.D. as the I.D. of the hole.

I also ran a stainless steel screw with a finsh head and trim ring through the bottom of the panel. Solid as a rock now.

Campbell
06-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Seems to be a reoccuring design problem on all year model Mastercrafts. I would hope this thread would be passed on to the moderator and fwd to MASTERCRAFT. I have replaced my plastic switch panel with (never agian to crack) powdercoated aluminum. And had to fill all of my holes with an instant chemical resin that hards in seconds into plastic. I also had to do fiberglass work in large areas.

3event
06-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Campbell, could you identify the resin used? I've replaced one panel on my PS197 and would be interested in preventive steps to avoid repeat of screw heads breaking thru the panel.

sixysixss
06-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Well, thanks for all the replies. Disappointing to hear that it is such a recurring problem and MC hasn't done much about it.

I'll probably try the epoxy patch reinforced with a glass mesh. I'll then use some type of nylon/plastic/rubber insert in each hole to try to spread the force over a bigger area.

Any other experiences in fixing this problem are appreciated.

Thanks.

Smoothie
06-21-2010, 01:06 PM
BAWS just fixed mine they put larger washers in there. I assume that will be stronger.

sixysixss
06-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Smoothie, could you send me a picture of what they did. Thanks.

oldairboater
06-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I used stainless steel fender washers,screws,nuts and a dab of gorilla glue on the screws behind the nuts as a thread locker.

Smoothie
06-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Looks good to me. Jim and Chuck took care of this repair and threw in an oil change. By far the BEST Mastercraft dealer in the southeast but I may be a bit partial.

Smoothie
06-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Chuck and Jim thanks for fixing daddies boat!!!!! Bad iPhone picture and try to get 3 year old twins to hold still.

sixysixss
06-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the photos. Looks like a good fix.

Tags
06-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeh, i think i'll do the same. Can you tell me what size those washers are?

thanks,

JBrew
06-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Having the same issue as everyone else on a 05 x9. Need washers or grommets to fix the issue. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

kskonn
06-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Yea Texas ski ranch just gave me some bigger washers, it has held up very well for two years, I sold the boat, but I see it on occasion and it is still going strong. took me about 10 minutes to replace them.

JBrew
06-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Yea Texas ski ranch just gave me some bigger washers, it has held up very well for two years, I sold the boat, but I see it on occasion and it is still going strong. took me about 10 minutes to replace them.

any chance you know the size?

prostar205
06-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Here's my fix for this problem. I tried the larger washer and sooner or later the underside of the washer will wear thru and tear the vinyl and then your screwed.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47739

:):):)

east tx skier
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
They haven't solved this problem since 93 or earlier. Anchors and washers painted black was good enough for my boat. Good luck.

prostar205
06-27-2012, 10:52 PM
They haven't solved this problem since 93 or earlier. Anchors and washers painted black was good enough for my boat. Good luck.

Tried the washer and re-installing the machine bolt and locking nut - could see that eventually it would fail also and cause the vinyl to tear making a bigger problem than you first started with since they do not make these panels any longer. For me, this was the only way to go. Luckily enough I have 2 machine shops within my shop with highly skilled machinists that can make virtually any part needed on my boat. These grommets are just added to the long list of parts they've made for the X-30. I feel very blessed to have them with me.

dmayer84
06-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Any way to get the program used to make them or order a pair?

prostar205
06-28-2012, 12:53 AM

I'd be happy to send you the prototype I had made in plastic as a fit check part. My machinist made the "production" versions on a manual screw machine (lathe) by hand so there is no IGS or STP file available. These parts would be really easy to machine on a CNC screw machine but I did not have that option available.

JBrew
06-28-2012, 11:06 AM

Please let me know if you get a program set up.

JDC
06-28-2012, 05:08 PM
I'd be happy to send you the prototype I had made in plastic as a fit check part. My machinist made the "production" versions on a manual screw machine (lathe) by hand so there is no IGS or STP file available. These parts would be really easy to machine on a CNC screw machine but I did not have that option available.If you haven't already sent it off to someone, would you send the prototype to me? PM sent.

dmayer84
07-11-2012, 01:32 PM
My neighbor believes he can make them at his machine shop at work. If you haven't already sent out the prototypes that would be much appreciated.

SpryBeast
07-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Tom, curious as to where the prototype ended up. Is someone working to get some made?

My "not as elegant or good as yours" repair lasted a couple of years but gave way this weekend so looking to do something better and this seems to be the best option.

Thanks

prostar205
07-31-2012, 05:05 PM
I still have the prototype. My dealer needs it for one of his PS197s. I'll look into getting more prototypes made.

SpryBeast
07-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks, talk about a fast response. ;)

Another option, but not as pretty, is to use the rubber part of a boat plug with a stainless steel washer on the outer face. May have to go this route as a temporary fix.

http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Boat-Deck-Baitwell-Plug/dp/B000MTCRJG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5

prostar205
07-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks, talk about a fast response. ;)

Another option, but not as pretty, is to use the rubber part of a boat plug with a stainless steel washer on the outer face. May have to go this route as a temporary fix.

http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Boat-Deck-Baitwell-Plug/dp/B000MTCRJG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5

I can tell you the diameter of the hole is 3/4" if I remember correctly. Those rubber boat plugs appear to be 7/8" so they would have to be trimmed down a bit.

dmayer84
07-31-2012, 05:27 PM
I am awaiting a quote from a machine shop to have a few sets made. I'll post the price once I get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SpryBeast
07-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks, was just reading the other thread. I had forgotten that there were two.

dmayer84
08-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Got the quote $60 for three out of aluminum. Ordered a set to see how they come out. If they are good I will open up to get a large order together for those that need them

SpryBeast
08-06-2012, 03:24 PM
I can tell you the diameter of the hole is 3/4" if I remember correctly. Those rubber boat plugs appear to be 7/8" so they would have to be trimmed down a bit.

You're right. The rubber plug, at least the one I had on hand, was too big.

Until I can get some fancy aluminum parts, I ended up using $2 worth of vinyl spacers from Lowes to repair the hole where my previous epoxy repair failed.

Using one inside the other fit the diameter perfectly but I had to sand about 1/8" off the length. Using this setup keeps the washer from cutting into the vinyl.

Redstorm
08-11-2012, 04:08 AM
My side panel gave way on my 205v and drilled small hole and used a small black bolt and washer and re-attached it. Stronger now and looks like it should be there. Side panel is durable and strong.