PDA

View Full Version : Help with value of this boat!!!

airdrew99
06-19-2010, 11:41 PM
I ran across an '88 Sylvan Ski-Tastic. I know it's no MasterCraft, but my wife and I are full time students right now and it's all we can afford. I'm going to attach pics with this thread. I don't know if it is the 18' or 19'. Nadaguides list it for about $2800. It has the Chevy 350. I'm not sure about the tranny, but it has a 13X14 prop. The HIN is syl38073l788 if anyone has a way to run the boat fax report. The sign says $3750, but I haven't actually talked to the owner yet. Seats are in great shape, but could use new carpet. Engine looks decent, but I don't know how many hours. Anyone ever heard of this kind of boat or own one? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Drew

airdrew99
06-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Here's a few more pics.

loeweb
06-20-2010, 11:07 PM
looks to me like a late 70's SN crossed with the interior of a late 70's MC I personally wouldn't go over 2500 unless I could drive it and see how it runs and handles on the water.

airdrew99
06-21-2010, 02:55 PM
I talked to the owner of the boat today. He said their is no hour meter so the hours are unknown. I couldn't find the hour meter when I was there, so it must not have one. I didn't offer him less for it yet. He told me how so many people have already come by to look at it and that two different people are coming by today to see it. Yeah right. I don't believe that. Anyway, he said the boat runs good and drives good. The only problem he knows of is the drive shaft packing in leaking more than usual (that's how he put it). I have now problem doing anything mechanical (cars, airplanes, and boats). With that being said, how difficult is it to replace the packing? Does it require two people? Thank you in advance.

Drew

ntidsl
06-21-2010, 03:24 PM
pull on the pylon as hard as you can, seem sturdy, jump on the floor...dont buy it without driving it on water. if you cannot afford more you cannot afford to rebuild this either!!! cool looking though! I'd buy it if it ran just to restore it as a hobby.

east tx skier
06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
I talked to the owner of the boat today. He said their is no hour meter so the hours are unknown. I couldn't find the hour meter when I was there, so it must not have one. I didn't offer him less for it yet. He told me how so many people have already come by to look at it and that two different people are coming by today to see it. Yeah right. I don't believe that. Anyway, he said the boat runs good and drives good. The only problem he knows of is the drive shaft packing in leaking more than usual (that's how he put it). I have now problem doing anything mechanical (cars, airplanes, and boats). With that being said, how difficult is it to replace the packing? Does it require two people? Thank you in advance.

Drew

As long as you can access it, it shouldn't take much time and shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks for the replacement packing.

Interesting boat. The deck and transom cap look a bit CCish. The bottom has more of a MC look, but not entirely.

Link for the Shaft Packing How To (www.tylerskiclub.com/stuffingbox.html)

SunCoast 83
06-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Is that an actual brand??

thatsmrmastercraft
06-23-2010, 12:33 AM
Sylvan has made aluminum fishing boats for a bunch of years. They dabbled in ski boats for a while too. The ski show in Tomahawk, WI had one for a few years.

SunCoast 83
06-23-2010, 09:39 PM
It kinda has a Ski Supreme look to it as well. If it is a sound vessel and it gets you out on the water, go for it. After you guys are out of school, you can get back into a Master Craft

Hoosier Bob
06-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Looks like an MC hull to me but Ski Supreme deck! Get it right and who cares! Work on your studies. When you are done you are going to want a new boat no matter what you buy! Take tons of pics as you never forget your first boat!