PDA

View Full Version : CopyCat Covers............................

jdubwall
06-19-2010, 04:14 PM
:mad: Just thought I would post a response to my experience with CopyCat Covers..... I heard about them on this forum and from the sounds of it there haven't been alot of people trying it out so i thought i would give it a try.....

Well for starters I wanted the front bench seat, and helm seat covers redone.... Quote was $350 for both.... Sounded good to me, they were very convincing on the phone when i talked to them..... They told me it would take 3-6 weeks for a lead time once they received the old skins.....

Well lets just say 4-6 weeks turned into a solid 10 going on 11 weeks by the time i received my new skins..... I went to install them and they didn't fit...... They were a both a couple inches to small..... No way to stretch and make it work....

I called them and told them the situation and they said just to send them back and they would take care of them for me... Sounded good..... Well I get an email about 4 days later and they said they received the skins, double checked the measurements and they did everything correct through them in a box with the old skins and sent them back to me without even calling me to tell me the situation...... There's nothing they can do now..... No refund, not even a partial refund.... They closed the doors on me!!! I am pissed about there service.... The Vinyl had to of shrunk within that 10week time frame..... I just thought I would post a thread for all of you who are thinking about sending them to CopyCat Covers...... I highly advise all to stay away from this company..... Very unprofessional!!!!!!

cbryan70
06-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Did you heat the skins up and stretch them?

Mr_Woodcock
06-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Typically you can use a steamer to expand the covers so they fit better. Once they are free of steam they will shrink to size.

Trying steaming them or heating them up.

Jorski
06-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Sounds like they should fit. I am surprised about your wait time for the skins...I just sent them mine and they are sending back the new ones today; turn around time was just 2 weeks.

I will update regarding fit etc. when I start installing.

Maybe try taking your skins to a local shop and see if they can install them for you. I asked at a shop up here (Toronto, Canada) and a guy was willing to install them for a couple of hundred bucks.

Jimn, has commented that you really need a steamer in order to properly stretch and install new vinyl.

Anyhow, keep us posted.

jdubwall
06-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the advise....... My plan is to heat them up this time and try to get them to fit....... I might have to shave some of the foam off the helm seat to get it to work..... I know vinyl will stretch with heat but the new one's have shrunk drastically...... The bench seat is is 32" one way and 34" the other..... The skin is 32" by 31"....... i'm going to have to cut the base down to get it to work..... I'll keep you guys posted once i get a chance on friday to go at them again...... Keep the inputs coming....

jdubwall
06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Here is a picture of the bench seat..... The base measures 32" one way and 34" the other..... When you measure the skin it measures 32" one way and 31" the other..... You be the judge on whether it will be able to stretch and look perfect....... My plan is to cut the board down some with the help of some heat to stretch the vinyl..........

jrhollow
06-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Are they the same size as the old skins?

joecarew3
06-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Did you try to install them yet? Did you heat them when you did? Sorry to hear about the delay in shipping the skins, thats a bummer. I wonder if anyone else has had the same issues as you? Read a couple other threads about Copy Cat and they all seemed to be very pleased. Keep us updated.

MartinCaron
06-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Are they the same size as the old skins?

That's the real question

jdubwall
06-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Supposedly they are the same size as the old skins...... I haven't compared them myself yet, won't get to it until friday..... I haven't tried heating them up yet, but it won't do any good when the skin is that much smaller than the base...... Its gonna be an interesting time come friday, to see how it turns out.....

Ski-me
06-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I'd wait until you have the old one to compare before heating them up and trying to stretch them out. Once you get the old ones, swing by an upholstery shop and ask for their suggestion.

psychobilly
06-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Did you send Copy Kat that pic??? Man that settles it, I ain't using them. Customer Service says it ALL, nome sain

5280Hawk
06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Im sorry to hear about your experience, I agree with you that they do take longer than they say when you send them in. Its a big issue. i would recommend to anyone using them that you do this project in the offseason. I lost a few boating days because i was waiting for them to get done, and as you all know that is frustrating beyond belief!!,

I have to say though, that i had them do my entire boat, over 20 pieces, and some of them were tough to get back on, but they ALL fit correctly. I have a thread on here documenting the results. I would recommend Copycat to anyone wanting new vinyl.

MartinCaron
06-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Still waiting for those pics ... ;)

Jorski
06-28-2010, 12:44 PM
My skins arrived today...will let you know what they look like later tonight.

Won't have a chance to see how they fit until later in the week. Turn around was two weeks...as promised.

captain planet
06-29-2010, 12:51 PM
:popcorn::popcorn:

I noticed my seat base on my rear seat is pulling apart a little last weekend :cry: I'm interested to see how this turns out because I want to have them make me a new skin for my rear seat. As anyone that has a 30th knows, the piping on the seats is two colored (red and blue) and I want that same look again, even if it means they reuse the piping from my old skins.

Jorski
06-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Skins arrived, and they look great. Look to be well built and to be high quality. Going to tackle installation this weekend, so i will have a better idea about fit.

Sorry, I can't get any pics up, I am having some major computer trouble at home...

5280Hawk
06-29-2010, 03:33 PM
They Sent trim Piping with my seats, and it matched the new vinyl exactly. They will send you a Sample board of the colors they have. It probably won't be a perfect match to factory, but

jdubwall
06-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Fellas, Well after a couple hours i finally got the covers on last friday...... The bench seat turned out GREAT........ Only thing is that it took me more time to cut the base board down to make it work..... You can see from the pic above it was WAY to small to work on the original board.... On the other hand the helm seat I heated up with a heat gun and continued to pull, staple, and heat..... It took me a while to get it to finally wrap around the whole seat..... Note: (I did have to cut some of the foam off the seat to get it to work..... Part of the seam on the vinyl started to rip..... Over all i am satisfied with the results... I wish the helm would have fit better..... Not happy with how it fit...... I will get pics the next time i get my boat out seeing as how its stored at my parents house. Still not satisfied with CopyCat Covers, quality of skins is great, but there services SUCK........ If i were to do it over again i would have rather gave my business to someone locally.....

jdubwall
06-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Did you send Copy Kat that pic??? Man that settles it, I ain't using them. Customer Service says it ALL, nome sain

Yes I sent them the pic, they told me to send them the covers back and they would take care of it, but they never came through....... They said all the measurements were exact.... Problem was the old skins shrunk.....

psychobilly
06-30-2010, 05:23 PM
How long did you have the skins off before you sent them to CC?? If it was a long time that may be a lessons learned for everyone...

How did the one turn out that you had to cut down? Does it still fit in the location perfect since you shrunk the OA size??

Post them pics!!!

ramzak
07-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Call your credit card company. They will yank the funds from Copy Cat soo quick, they wont know what hit em. ESPECIALLY if you payed with AMEX.

Always pay with Credit(not debit), you get the added protection of Amex, Visa, MC, Disc, etc...

johny123
07-20-2010, 01:19 PM
bump for posting of pics jdubwall!!

jdubwall
07-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Sorry it took so long fellas..... I haven't had a chance to get up to my parents to take pics.... Here they are though....... The bench seat turned out alright after modifying the bottom board, but after heating up the helm seat with a heat gun and continuously stretching this was the best i could do...... Couldn't stretch anymore because it was putting to much stress on the seams.

CantRepeat
07-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Wow, that does look terrible.

Thanks for the info and the post!!

Sodar
07-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Wow. I have seen nicer work done by upholsterers in Mexico!

TX.X-30 fan
07-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Wow. I have seen nicer work done by upholsterers in Mexico!

Don't come here to plug relatives upholstery shops....................:D

ILOVEMYBOAT2010
07-30-2010, 01:56 PM
I first saw this blog when I did my initial research on Copycat Covers. Even though there are bad reviews they are still plenty of good ones. I figured that every company you research, you will run across the same issues. In addition to that, from personal experience owning a business, I know that competitors will also hirer some 18 year old and pay them 7 bucks a hour to just sit there and blog bad reviews; so I flipped a coin and gave them a shot.

I'm glad I did! My skins came back perfect. I did all the little things the video showed me. I sat the skins out in the yard for a few hours before I started as well as covered the existing foam on my seats with Painters Plastic so I could slide on the new ones easier. I even called in and had the manager walk me through putting on my captains chair skin lol. To conclude, I decided that even though you get what you pay for, that sometimes the cheapest quote is the best quote. I'm highly impressed with the system they use to making it so cost efficient that it almost seems like a scam lol. I was recommended to them and already have recommend a few of my buds to them. I'll make sure they post on here their experiences.

I will post pics on here soon when I get a chance to take and upload them.

Bert
07-30-2010, 11:49 PM
I first saw this blog when I did my initial research on Copycat Covers. Even though there are bad reviews they are still plenty of good ones. I figured that every company you research, you will run across the same issues. In addition to that, from personal experience owning a business, I know that competitors will also hirer some 18 year old and pay them 7 bucks a hour to just sit there and blog bad reviews; so I flipped a coin and gave them a shot.

I'm glad I did! My skins came back perfect. I did all the little things the video showed me. I sat the skins out in the yard for a few hours before I started as well as covered the existing foam on my seats with Painters Plastic so I could slide on the new ones easier. I even called in and had the manager walk me through putting on my captains chair skin lol. To conclude, I decided that even though you get what you pay for, that sometimes the cheapest quote is the best quote. I'm highly impressed with the system they use to making it so cost efficient that it almost seems like a scam lol. I was recommended to them and already have recommend a few of my buds to them. I'll make sure they post on here their experiences.

Hope yours look better that jdubwall's did cause his look terrible and copy cat covers should redo them

east tx skier
07-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Hope yours look better that jdubwall's did cause his look terrible and copy cat covers should redo them

No kidding. I would be livid if a company butchered my skins like that. No offense to you intended, jdubwall. But your assessment looks good. There are some positive posts on these guys on Planetnautique. I made sure to mention your situation. That company should be bending over backwards (or perhaps the other way) for you based on what I see in those pictures.

BROUSSARD
07-31-2010, 02:16 PM
What up with the throttle on your boat?

dmminfla
07-31-2010, 03:39 PM
What up with the throttle on your boat?

It must be a BF outboard boat. No motor box cover.

BROUSSARD
07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Good eye mate!

atlfootr
08-29-2010, 06:09 PM
I keep telling YOU GUYS to USE JIM!

swatguy
10-25-2010, 10:26 AM

Just to let you all know "for the record" even though this is an old post this guy is a spammer for the company. Been ousted on a couple different sites. I am in the process of checking these guys out to redo my upholstery. Going to get a quote and compare it to my local shop. I have read and seen some of their work and it came out great. Unfortunately I have read J's post and he seemed to have issues. Will let you all know how it turns out for me and who I end up going with.

Bert
10-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Just to let you all know "for the record" even though this is an old post this guy is a spammer for the company. Been ousted on a couple different sites. I am in the process of checking these guys out to redo my upholstery. Going to get a quote and compare it to my local shop. I have read and seen some of their work and it came out great. Unfortunately I have read J's post and he seemed to have issues. Will let you all know how it turns out for me and who I end up going with.
Pictures I saw of there stuff looked like crap. Get a good shop and get it done right. My bet is you would be happier with your local shop.

atlfootr
11-04-2010, 11:34 PM
I keep telling YOU GUYS to USE JIM!
Listen to atlfootr!
He knows whatthehell he's talking about! :D

east tx skier
11-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Here's another shop specializing in MC.

Link (http://mastercraftskins.com/www.mastercraftskins.com/Skins/Skins.html)

Patsfan
11-10-2010, 07:38 PM
A steamer is not going to make up that much size difference! After all the frustration you should have just called Jim.Viper or LEADING EDGE! All these guys worked at MC and know the boats.
A little money now is better than a lot later.

jasonba1
11-11-2010, 07:41 AM
i agree with patsfan using leading edge and viper are the only way to go heck Ive used both lol. Places like copycat ive learned the hard by trying to save a dollar cost me double in the end lol....

corey
11-11-2010, 05:33 PM
JDUB,

sorry to hear about your issues with copy cat, FWIW we (Midwest MasterCraft) use C&E Upholstery out of Savage MN for 99% of our upholstery work. I can get you their contact information if you like. I do not work from them but have sent a lot of seats their way and been very happy.

jrhollow
11-11-2010, 05:58 PM
I'll second Corey. I've had work done by C&E Upholstery (referred by Midwest MC) and was 100% satisfied.

atlfootr
11-11-2010, 06:52 PM

AJS
01-26-2011, 03:30 PM
If I understand correctly,
They used the seat covers you sent them and now those measurement don't work??
Is heat the way to go??
I just got mine back Have a heater.
Mine came straight off the seat to them.
How long have you stored your boat at your parents and do you think your covers shrank in storage?????????
I will update but the first one (helm) fit.
By the way did you or did you not work with them previously as suggested by others.
Or are they suggesting you did ??

*mtrbtr*
02-18-2012, 02:09 PM
I read this thread before I had my cushions redone on my 89 prostar 190 and was a bit concerned but decided to go ahead and try them anyway. I must say I was very impressed. They did a great job of matching colors. We did have a miscomunication on one of the pieces regarding color and they replaced it within 3 days with no questions asked and no extra cost. I dealt with Karl and he kept me very informed and updated. I am not a professional blogger or anything, I was just very impressed with the service they gave me.

CantRepeat
02-18-2012, 02:34 PM
I read this thread before I had my cushions redone on my 89 prostar 190 and was a bit concerned but decided to go ahead and try them anyway. I must say I was very impressed. They did a great job of matching colors. We did have a miscomunication on one of the pieces regarding color and they replaced it within 3 days with no questions asked and no extra cost. I dealt with Karl and he kept me very informed and updated. I am not a professional blogger or anything, I was just very impressed with the service they gave me.

Really, someone with just one post that says they are not a professional blogger must be a blogger that does it as a profession. :rolleyes:

Your post has "I work for them" written all over it.

81SNS
03-03-2012, 08:14 PM
I contacted them about doing the skins out of my 81 SNS, they were very eager to do it, I emailed them pictures for them to quote it, didnt hear from them for a couple of days so I called to see if they got them, they said they did and were working on my quote, that was 4 months ago, still havent heard from them.....I figured it wasnt meant to be

Cloaked
03-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Short-cuts rarely work out for one reason or another. In most instances, one gets what they pay for, or less.

A new set of skins from a picture is not my idea of any quality by my standards.

Jorski
03-05-2012, 02:37 PM
To be fair...they were likely going to provide a quote for new skins from a picture, not actually make them from a picture.

I dealt with them, and received high quality skins, manufactured using my skins as patterns ...others have had problems.

02ProstarSammyD
03-05-2012, 02:45 PM
contacted them about doing the skins out of my 81 SNS, they were very eager to do it, I emailed them pictures for them to quote it, didnt hear from them for a couple of days so I called to see if they got them, they said they did and were working on my quote, that was 4 months ago, still havent heard from them.....I figured it wasnt meant to be
Same kind of deal with me. I sent them pics and a request to price a rear bench and doghouse cover. They asked for dimensions on both and never heard back from them. I emailed them back a week later asking if they had a quote ready. Spit one back in 2 min that was 2x anybody elses. Im having my local shop do mine.

wheelerd
11-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Copycat Covers were recently mentioned on another thread here and I recalled looking at this thread a couple years ago when I had my X5 observer's seat redone by them. They did a great job, although communication back and forth was not always consistent. I had to send back the skin to fix a problem with the stitched logo and to add a row of stitching to the walk-thru fold-down but they took care of it at no extra charge. I understand they were going through some management issues at the time.

Here's a pic.

Shooter McKevin
11-19-2012, 01:30 PM
This fall I noticed a split at one of the seams on my observers seat. I really hate that I'm now going to be a part of the vinyl conversation. I think wheelerd's seat looks pretty good, but I am not even going to consider Copy Cat based 100% on the 2 solicited posts they made in this thread to try to save face. Why not try to help out the OP with his issues rather than announcing to the world that you are a liar and a scammer.

The one thing in life I have absolutely zero tolerance for are liars!!

76S&S
11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
The one thing in life I have absolutely zero tolerance for are liars!!

and thieves...:(