PDA

View Full Version : Slalom rope question

Mag_Red
06-29-2005, 04:02 PM
On a decent quality 5 or 6 section rope, should you be able to shorten it from the end that attaches to the ski pylon?? ie The first 15' off should be able to be done from the boat, not by shortening from the handle end :confused:

ski_king
06-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Yes, from the boat end. Unless you attach the handle to the wrong end like I did last weekend. :confused:

east tx skier
06-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Yup, from the boat.

Mag_Red
06-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Yes, from the boat end. Unless you attach the handle to the wrong end like I did last weekend. :confused:The reason I asked was both of my ropes, when measured from the boat end, didn't have a new section till you went 30'. I was talking to JRandol and he suggested that they may have assembled the rope backwards. So I climbed under the cover, dug a rope out, unwound it and sure enough............ :eek: backwards!

Ric
06-29-2005, 04:11 PM
The reason I asked was both of my ropes, when measured from the boat end, didn't have a new section till you went 30'. I was talking to JRandol and he suggested that they may have assembled the rope backwards. So I climbed under the cover, dug a rope out, unwound it and sure enough............ :eek: backwards!
yep, I bought two ropes from advantage last year and one of them had been tied backward
no big deal but if you don't check your rope, you won't know

Mag_Red
06-29-2005, 04:12 PM
The handle was attached to the black section of rope and the white was at the pylon end. Now I have the black section towards the pylon and the handle is attached to the white section of rope. Is this how it should be?????

Mag_Red
06-29-2005, 04:13 PM
yep, I bought two ropes from advantage last year and one of them had been tied backward
no big deal but if you don't check your rope, you won't knowYeah.......but two ropes????? :rant:
What ever happened to quality control??????

Ric
06-29-2005, 04:13 PM
All I can say off hand is that the red loop is usually 15off,

east tx skier
06-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Yes, I'm assuming "Straightline." Black is 75'. Red is 15' off, yellow, orange, etc.

Ric
06-29-2005, 04:31 PM
It's important to note from this query that Mag is course skiing. Which I think is good

Mag_Red
06-29-2005, 04:56 PM
It's important to note from this query that Mag is course skiing. Which I think is goodI wish! Just trying to get my ducks in line should the opportunity arise. :D

Ric
06-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Mag, ski around the orange ones and drive between the green ones. Watch out for the moving ones ;)

Don't have perfect pass? Go get one

BrianM
06-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Take the black section off and throw it away. No need for a full length rope. The boats have a better wake at the shorter line and for beginers the shorter line gives a more immediate pull. Even on my cheap ropes I have removed the 'longline' section.

Mag_Red
06-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Mag, ski around the orange ones and drive between the green ones. Watch out for the moving ones ;)

Don't have perfect pass? Go get one Got the perfect pass already. Has anyone ever tried to see how fast their boat could make it around the orange balls? :confused: :D

parks_jr_55
06-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Who makes good slalom ropes and what is a decent rope for a good price. Links...

On my wakeboard ropes i take the handles off in winter and then coil the lines and i put the line on the wrong end this year and couldnt figure out why it was so rough right before the handle.....it was on backwards and the different sections were the rough parts.

east tx skier
06-29-2005, 07:22 PM
I've got an email in to Brenda at In-tow. My first experience with them, but I've heard good reports.

Hoosier Bob
06-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Accurate and Straightline work for me. If you do not plan on setting any records you do not need 10 sections. Go 80+ strand and fewer sections. Nice rope but at a reasonable cost. Accurate's begin with white 15' off then red 22', Orange 28', Yellow 32', Green35'Blue 38' and after that my dream is way over. I believe my S-Line begins with Black but the same colors after that. That was for Mag.Who makes good slalom ropes and what is a decent rope for a good price. Links...

On my wakeboard ropes i take the handles off in winter and then coil the lines and i put the line on the wrong end this year and couldnt figure out why it was so rough right before the handle.....it was on backwards and the different sections were the rough parts.

Crash
06-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Take the black section off and throw it away. No need for a full length rope. The boats have a better wake at the shorter line and for beginers the shorter line gives a more immediate pull. Even on my cheap ropes I have removed the 'longline' section.
Totally agree!!

Based on TT's posts on skiing at shorter lenghts for better wakes, I free skiied at 43 off (just for kicks) last weekend...damn that's close to the boat and quick accross the wakes!! :eek3:

east tx skier
06-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Actually, my straightline mainline is white on both ends. I do have another rope that has a black section for the 75' length. Bit less chance of getting it backwards that way.

Ric
06-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Got the perfect pass already. Has anyone ever tried to see how fast their boat could make it around the orange balls? :confused: :D
That brings up a new subject for me
HIJACK
A guy I skiid with for a while would "zig zag" after pulling you up if you fell mid-course and spin you and run through the next pass.

His theory was that if you ran the boat more like the path of the skier, you'd push the wakes "away" from the skier path and then you'd have decent water if you didn't pull out past the pregates, but rather spun it round the island and kept going.

Kinda clearing the course for the next pass rather than leaving it churned mid course and having to wait longer for it to lay down.
anybody else do this?
This may be more appropriate in the etiquitte thread?

OhioProstar
06-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Threadjack #2:

Mag you going to Cumberland this weekend? We get down around Lees Ford at least once during the week for lunch.

Mag_Red
06-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Threadjack #2:

Mag you going to Cumberland this weekend? We get down around Lees Ford at least once during the week for lunch. I'll be down there either Friday night or Saturday 11 AM through Monday the 4th. My sister's houseboat is on C dock . She is to the right of the gas dock towards the big blue bridge. I think the slip # is 22. :wavey:

east tx skier
06-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Ric, wouldn't zig-zagging send the wakes down course instead of more toward the banks where they would more quickly dissipate?

Ric
06-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Ric, wouldn't zig-zagging send the wakes down course instead of more toward the banks where they would more quickly dissipate?
well it only kinda works and is only best if you're not wanting to sit around between passes.
it works in the sense that the skier path is fairly free from rollers but it's a turbulent path and somewhat breaks your concentration a bit.
anybody else here doing this?

jamisonsbrodie
06-30-2005, 01:40 PM
I have never heard of the zig-zag manuever. If the driver is coming to nearly a complete stop before turning around, there shouldn't be any rollers to contend with. The only time I notice any is if the driver is halfway on-plane(@5-10mph) on the return, which creates rollers directly down the course.

east tx skier
06-30-2005, 02:22 PM
I think Ric means when he falls mid-course and deep water starts mid-course and heads to the end for a quick turnaround, right?

Ric
06-30-2005, 03:42 PM
I think Ric means when he falls mid-course and deep water starts mid-course and heads to the end for a quick turnaround, right?
you are correct sir, yes

6ballsisall
06-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Glad it worked out for you Mag!!! Did you buy the HB?

BrianM
07-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Got the perfect pass already. Has anyone ever tried to see how fast their boat could make it around the orange balls? :confused: :D

Done it a few times. Very fun. Drive the boat through the course just as if it were the skier. I have done it at 30+ mph which takes some serious driving. Really shows how these boats handle.

lakes Rick
07-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah.......but two ropes????? :rant:
What ever happened to quality control??????

AHSO, we no care round eye.......

Ric
07-01-2005, 12:00 PM
hell mine was made in USA (I assume) from advantage ARS and mine was 50% wrong or 50% right if you're an optomist

MarkP
07-01-2005, 12:12 PM
You have issues with them too??:purplaugh