PDA

View Full Version : 83' S&S Transom Wet

Nvrgvup
06-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Well I have been working on through bolting my swim platform. Almost complete and really turned out well. Made some backing plates out of 1/4" 7075 Alum. I only through bolted the top bolts on the side brackets and center support. Dry fitted it all, now I just have to seal it all up and get it back together. Solid as a rock.

When I pulled it apart I found that the bracket holes were slightly wet but solid. After a few days opened up they seemed to dry out. The holes for the center support were also wet but the wood was not as solid on 2 of the 3 bolt holes. I bought the boat fairly inexpensively as a user boat to have fun. While this is not ideal is it really a problem? There is not really any load on the transom. If it were an IO or OB sure. This is out of my desire to repair, however how big of a repair would this be to have fixed or is it even worth considering?

I can't believe MC made hull with fiberglass stringers and floor and then put a wood cored transom in it. The engineer responsible for the transom design should be shot. Nice job on the wood transom that was needed to lag bolt the swim platform brackets to.

dichdoc
06-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Personally I'd seal everything up as good as possible and run it. Maybe let it dry out for as long as possible and fill the holes with epoxy and re-drill the holes??? I selaed mine with 3M marine adhesive too. Not to throw salt in your wounds, but are you sure you got fiberglass stringers? I thought 84 was the first year for that but I am wrong about many many things. TB

classic_speed
06-18-2010, 03:54 AM
It was a split year in 83. The early wood stringer boats have 4 independent mounts that are sunk into the floor. The late fiberglass type have mounts that kind of bolt to the top edge of the stringers around the lip of the engine area.

Nvrgvup
06-18-2010, 09:30 AM
I did get it all back together last night or early this morning. Another 1:00 am job.

I did let it dry out as best as I could for a week. Sealed everything up, backing plates behind all the brackets. Turned out really nice. That is one solid swim platform that I have no concerns about using.

I agree, we are just going to use it and have fun. That's the name of the game.

Mine is one of the fiberglass stringer 83's. I was darn sure of that. Angle iron engine bracket attacked to the edge of the floor that the mounts are attached to.

classic_speed
06-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Ive got an early myself. Lucky you. I just finished replacing my stringers...

ecproductions143
06-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Well I have been working on through bolting my swim platform. Almost complete and really turned out well. Made some backing plates out of 1/4" 7075 Alum. I only through bolted the top bolts on the side brackets and center support. Dry fitted it all, now I just have to seal it all up and get it back together. Solid as a rock.

When I pulled it apart I found that the bracket holes were slightly wet but solid. After a few days opened up they seemed to dry out. The holes for the center support were also wet but the wood was not as solid on 2 of the 3 bolt holes. I bought the boat fairly inexpensively as a user boat to have fun. While this is not ideal is it really a problem? There is not really any load on the transom. If it were an IO or OB sure. This is out of my desire to repair, however how big of a repair would this be to have fixed or is it even worth considering?

I can't believe MC made hull with fiberglass stringers and floor and then put a wood cored transom in it. The engineer responsible for the transom design should be shot. Nice job on the wood transom that was needed to lag bolt the swim platform brackets to.

Does ur boat stay in the water? Ake sure u put lots of silicone around nuts and bolts seal as much water out as possible