PDA

View Full Version : Ohio River

awrobertso
06-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Looking for other MC owners in the Louisville/Southern Indiana area.

ntidsl
06-21-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm up just past the markland dam from you. not familiar with the river down there, lots of sand bars and islands right?

awrobertso
06-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Not too many sandbars...but a lot of places to beach it if thats your thing. I actually boat in leavenworth, in if you know where that is.

ntidsl
06-21-2010, 04:54 PM
need beach pictures, courses? ramps, etc...?

93Prostar190
06-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Hello Ohio River boaters or anyone else that may know something about using your MC on the Ohio River ..

I have been wanting to take the MC during a non-busy week day down to the Ohio River .... probably putting in at Portsmouth or somewhere else ... you know a day on the river with the family.

When cruising the river I want to try navigating through a Lock. I have read the pamphlets and laws regarding passing through locks but I have never done it ..... anyone here on TT ever go through a lock with their MC ? any advice?

I don't imagine it to be any issue but I want to hear from anyone that has input on the subject.

awrobertso
06-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I've never taking my MC through a lock...but know several ppl that have with no issues. I say go for it and have a great day w/ the family!

awrobertso
06-24-2010, 11:16 AM
I dont have any pictures...i will try to take some this wknd. The only ramp I use is the State Ramp in Leavenworth, IN. There is a great place to eat called the Overlook that a has an unreal view. There are no ski courses where we boat....

ntidsl
06-24-2010, 12:15 PM
have 2 100 foot ropes, never tie them to anything, have 4 bumpers, and back in the day we used to tip the dam workers with beer...life jackets must be on!

92 190 PS
06-24-2010, 03:57 PM
We are on the Ohio River most weekends. We have a place in Manchester, about 50 miles down river from Portsmouth. Twin islands where we are and outside of a hard rain the water is fantastic. Tons of boats to party with on the islands or you can head up or down river 10 minutes and be by yourself for the day.

Been through locks several times and all you need is some good bumpers. A radio is helpful so you can communicate with the dam workers, but not necessary.

Highly recommend the river for those of us in Ohio where good lakes are hard to come by.

cf_koch
06-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Gone through locks between Marietta and Pittsburgh many times. As was stated before have 100' lines, plenty of fenders and we hold a paddle and "pop" cans in our hands to keep pushing the boat away from the nasty, slimey walls of the locks. It is a good experience but the first time it will be a little nerve racking.