PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing - 2nd time out

CantRepeat
06-17-2010, 10:05 AM
So, I weighted down the Maristar as much as I thought was safe, wish I could go more and went surfing. This is only the second time out for me, so I'm still learning, I think. I know it's more of a skill thing that keeps me from staying in the sweet spot and dropping the rope. I've done some reading and questioning on boards so I may be getting a new board here soon. Something with more glide.

It seems the minute I go to far forward, out into the flat, I lose all speed and then would just roll over the lip and out of the wave if I wasn't using the rope. That would make for some pretty short rides. I guess it's just more practice at this point.

Anyway, here's the video, with some cheesy editing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLsQ9QBCsPw

BriEOD
06-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Do you have Perfect Pass? I was on a friends new SV-11 Nautique over the weekend and he had integrated ballast, etc. But, without PP to hold a steady speed it was really challenging to surf. Sitting at 9-12 mph is not an easy speed to hold as the boat wants to come on and off of plane. FWIW.

CantRepeat
06-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Hey Brian,

No, no PP. Just a GPS on the dash and my wife driving and taking Qs from me. It seems by just adding one or two people you completely change the wake and speed needed to get the best wake.

Ubugme2
06-17-2010, 12:09 PM
If your interested in finding out about some boards give us a call at 1-800-568-7034 Towanza Wakesurfing

jmcentire
06-17-2010, 12:31 PM
When you get pushed out into the flats make sure you carve towards the wake to catch it again...you pretty much want the wake to hit the side of your board so there is more surface area to get you going again.

One problem you may be running into is it seems every board has a certain speed it likes to ride, if you are adding too much ballast you might be needing to go faster than the board likes to clean up the wave. Personally I ride with a single 800 lb bag in the v-drive compartment, and before that had no problem riding with a single 550 lb bag. Also, we don't have PP either, but found it much better to hold a constant rpm than trying to hold a constant speed(unless the lake is choppy).

CiscoStu
06-17-2010, 12:54 PM
It is true that adding or removing even a single person will change the wave significantly... That's about 150lbs that moves around inside the boat... Tell everyone to sit near the back, on the side of the boat the surfer rides. Bring more friends.

I think the biggest key to success is like jmcentire said - you can't just ride into the flats and expect the wave to pick you up, you need to turn and move back into the wave. Until you get the hang of it, there's a lot of pumping and turning to stay in the sweet spot.

Also, if you can't weight the boat enough, try turning a big, slow circle on the water. Turn towards the side of the wave the rider is on, and that will give the wave a much cleaner (and larger) crest. With the bow in the air and a good left turn, the left side of the wave will be great for surfing.

On my X-30 I only have MC Cruise Control... It works better than the manual method, because my wife likes to get the boat up on plane so she can see. That's way too fast for surfing. I tell her to put the CC on and make small 100rpm adjustments to tweak. Unfortunately, tweaking will be necessary every time out, depending on # of people, how full the ballasts are, even current of the water. You can't just pick an RPM and use that every time, you need to make small adjustments.

M-Funf
06-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Great music! Love The Offspring!

I think I would like to wakesurf, but I just don't think my '76 is up to the task :o

CantRepeat
06-17-2010, 02:41 PM

I think I would like to wakesurf, but I just don't think my '76 is up to the task :o

The Offspring, saw them in Nashville last year and going to Atlanta to see them this year. I grew up in Calif and used the see them live on PCH at the 13th Floor.

Thanks for the tips guys. I know it's just being a rookie that keeps me from sticking the sweet spot, but I'm not giving up. I grew up surfing Seal, Hunington, and Newport so it's just relearning right now.

I was checking out the website for boards. I'll probably give you a call next week sometime.

Has anyone seen any feedback on the Mastercraft Surfboard that just came out?

cmw
06-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Impressed with the wake you got from a 210. I have a similar boat and curious how much weight and where. I think you answered this for me before, but I can't find the information.

oxberger
06-17-2010, 03:50 PM

M, don't underestimate the wake the classics can produce. I've had enough guys on mine with no ballast bags and just equipment and people and have heard comments about how awesome a wake it produces. We never had anyone that had a board to test it out though. I'm hoping when Sham gets back from playing in the sand, he and drylandfish can teach me.

CantRepeat
06-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Impressed with the wake you got from a 210. I have a similar boat and curious how much weight and where. I think you answered this for me before, but I can't find the information.

I'll send you a PM on the weighting as I don't want to get flamed for telling everyone how I was over the boats weight limit. :D

cmw
06-17-2010, 04:01 PM
I understand.

As long as she floats!;)

Masternorth
06-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Wakesurfing basics:

Front foot = Gas pedal
Back foot = * Brake pedal

Ounce your up, shift your weight from your front to your back foot and vice versa to see the effect on your speed and your balance.

When you start loosing the boat, lean toward it to accelerate and if your getting too close to the boat, lean in the opposite direction to slow down.

I like to wait in the flat until the boat has reached its speed and that the wake looks good before*hitting it.

Moving and adding people in the boat has a lot of influence on the wake. Adding weight toward the front fo the boat will make a longer wake which is easier to surf IMO.

Surf is a low impact sport so just relax and enjoy and soon enough you will be able to go at it for hours without a rope!

Good luck!

CantRepeat
06-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Putting weight in the front of my DD just washed the wake out completely. I guess Vdrives need weight in the front.

Gofast
06-19-2010, 12:06 PM
92Maristar, send me a PM on how you weight the boat too. Today will be our first outing with a surfboard. I'll post pics if it goes well and just let it quitly die if it's a bust.....

Rob